Explore Central America on a group tour
It may connect the USA and Mexico with the beauteous South America, but Central America is so much more than just your average bridge. In fact, the slender region made up of Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and Panama is one of the most culture-rich, history-soaked and adventure-filled spots in the world.
So where do you begin? With an expert guide to lead you, you don’t have to worry about knowing where the best countries or travel icons are. Simply go with the flow as your group tour takes you into the rainforest canopies of Costa Rica, past volatile volcanoes in Nicaragua and into the marine life-rich waters of Belize, home to the Mesoamerican Reef – second only in size to Australia’s Great Barrier Reef. Those who want to get on the water, rather than under it, can take in the vast Panama Canal, while film buffs will find real-life Star Wars movie sets in Tikal, Guatemala.
Central America tour highlights
- Lago de Atitlan, Guatemala: captivatingly beautiful and fringed by a hodge podge of Guatemalan cultures, no visit to this country is complete without clapping eyes on Lake Atitlan.
- Bay Islands, Honduras: touching that Mesoamerican Reef we were talking about earlier, the Bay Islands are renowned for their unrivalled beaches and snorkelling/scuba opportunities.
- Leon, Nicaragua: this crumbling, colonial city – the second biggest in Nicaragua – is vastly underrated. Visit for its politically-charged, historical beauty and fantastic foodie scene.
- Tazumal, El Salvador: easily the most important archaeological site in the country, Tazumal offers a glimpse into what Mayan life was truly like.
- Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve, Costa Rica: birding and wildlife spotting doesn’t get much better than it does here. Look for hummingbirds, butterflies and sloths, and prepare to get wet.
- Panama City: the most modern city in Central America, Panama’s capital offers a stark contract to the rest of Central America. Eat, shop and be sure to visit the bordering Panama Canal.
- Great Blue Hole, Belize: thought to be the world’s largest underwater sinkhole, this arresting UNESCO-listed spot, 60 miles off the coast, is perfect for exploratory diving.
Top tip: If you’re planning to visit multiple countries in Central America, prepare to budget accordingly. The cost of living varies greatly between each one – Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and El Salvador for example are fairly cheap, while you can expect prices in Belize, Costa Rica and Panama to be a lot higher.
Browse Central America tours
At Flight Centre, we pride ourselves in working with some of the best Central America tour companies in the world. This means that, no matter which country (or countries) you explore, you’ll know you’re getting the best, most authentic, experience. When you book a Central America tour with Flight Centre, you'll not only enjoy the service of one of our Travel Experts, but we'll also be able to book you great-value airfares and you'll have access to our 24/7 emergency assistance service when you're travelling.