Virgin Atlantic Flights
- Before You Fly
- In The Air
About Virgin Atlantic
Now one the UK’s most recognisable brands, Virgin Atlantic was founded by Sir Richard Branson over 30 years ago after he decided the UK aviation industry needed shaking up and style injected back into it. He wanted to make air travel exciting and enjoyable again. Virgin Atlantic became airborne in 1984 and since then has been the long-haul airline for people who want flying to be an adventure, no matter if they’re flying for business or leisure. Every year, Virgin flies more than five million people to over 30 of the best and most loved destinations around the world - the Americas, Africa, Asia and the Middle East. Step onboard and experience irresistible service that’s intuitive and personal, award-winning entertainment, innovative products and stylish comfort in some of the best premium cabins in the sky. So, whether it’s business or leisure travel with Virgin Atlantic, the journey is bound to be unforgettable.
Web and Mobile Check-in
Online check-in opens 24 hours before your flight. With online check-in you can print your boarding pass before heading to the airport or use mobile boarding passes on the Virgin Atlantic mobile app, so you'll only need to go to the counter if you have luggage to check in.
Many airports offer the convenience of kiosks, where you can check in and print your own boarding pass. Once complete, just proceed to the bag drop-off point before heading to security. Check in counters and bag drop for international flights open 3 hours before departure. Be sure to arrive at least 120 minutes prior to the scheduled departure time. Bag drop closes 60 minutes before the scheduled departure for long-haul, and 45 minutes before on short-haul flights.
Economy and Premium Class
- 1 carry-on bag
- Weight up to 10kg
- 1 additional item, such as a handbag or small rucksack
- Up to 2 carry-on bags.
- Weight up to 12kg for one bag, or up to 16kg combined weight.
- 1 additional item, such as a handbag or small rucksack
Children’s carry-on allowance
- Babies and toddlers up to 23 months are allowed 1 bag up to 6kg
- Children aged 2 and over have the standard carry on allowance
Checked baggage allowance:
Checked baggage allowances vary depending on flight routing, cabin class and frequent flyer status. If you are flying on a Virgin Atlantic ticketed operated by a partner airline, the partner baggage allowances may apply. Check with your Flight Centre Expert in advance for specific baggage policies, but generally allowances are as follows:
Economy (Not including Basic fares).
- 1 piece of baggage Each bag must weigh no more than 23kg
- 2 pieces of baggage Each bag must weigh no more than 23kg
- 3 pieces of baggage Each bag must weigh no more than 32kg
Children and Infants
- Children and seated infants are entitled to the above allowances
- Lap infants without a seat, can have 1 piece of luggage up to 23kg for any cabin (except Economy Light)
Overweight and Oversized Items
- The baggage allowance for overweight and oversized items are charged at different rates depending on the passenger’s itinerary and final destination
- The maximum weight and size for all items is 100 lbs (45kg) and 126 inches (320cm; length + width + height)
- If your checked bag weighs more than your allowance you may be charged extra at the airport. Baggage weighing over 32kg are not possible to check in.
- Sporting or musical equipment can be checked as part of your baggage allowance, but you might need to pay extra if they are too large or heavy. Check with your Flight Centre Expert in advance for specific allowances.
Frequent Flyer Points
To start collecting rewards for your miles, join Virgin Atlantic’s frequent flyer program: Flying Club. Miles can be cashed in on flights, upgrades and more.
- Start on the Red tier and work your way up!
- The Silver tier can be reached by earning 400 Tier Points within 12 consecutive months.
- The Gold tier can then be reached when you earn 1,000 Tier Points within 12 consecutive months.
Virgin Atlantic believes that travel should never be dull. Onboard a Virgin Atlantic flight, no matter which cabin class you've booked, you will rediscover the joy of flying. Meal time is one of the highlights of any Virgin flight, with a choice of delicious, quality meals, snacks and drinks service. After dinner, while away the hours with over 100 movies to choose from, as well as a specially selected range of TV shows and music, and families can rest easy with the entertainment system’s parental block option… you might just forget you’re flying thousands of feet in the air!
Upgrade to Virgin Atlantic Premium Cabins
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Which Economy fare should I book?
Virgin Atlantic now offers you more choice to tailor your travel experience to your needs. Economy Light is a great option if you don’t need to check baggage, as it includes all the benefits of the traditional Economy service with meals, drinks and snacks included, but at a lower price. Economy Classic offers you the traditional Economy experience, with all meals, drinks and snacks included, 23kg checked baggage and the ability to pre-select your seat at any time. Economy Delight is Virgin’s superior Economy option, offering all the great benefits of Classic, plus extra legroom, premium check-in and priority boarding to enhance your travel experience.
How do I check in?
Online check-in opens from 24 hours before your flight departs, where you can print or email your boarding pass from the Virgin Atlantic website. You can also download the Virgin Atlantic app where you can save your boarding pass to your mobile device for quick and easy access through security. If you are checking in at the airport, please ensure you arrive in plenty of time in case of queues.
Can I choose my seat in advance?
Free of charge seat selection is available anytime for Economy Classic, Economy Delight, Premium Economy and Upper Class fares. Economy Light ticket holders can select their seat at check in.
Did You Know?
Pioneering is at the heart of Virgin Atlantic, leading the way with a range of innovations over the years. Virgin the first airline to introduce seatback TVs, a fully flat-bed seat, onboard bar and fleet-wide Wi-Fi. A Mile High Tea experience is available on all flights departing from the UK. The beautifully presented afternoon tea is curated by the famous baker Eric Lanlard, a ka‘Cake Boy’. Mile High Tea is served in all of the cabin classes, with slight variations. The first ever ‘NoLo’ drinks menu in the sky belongs to Virgin Atlantic; passengers in every cabin class can order a cocktail that has been distilled non-alcoholic.
Without compromising the availability of a complimentary meal and drinks, Economy Class customers can now choose between three different tiers: ‘Economy Delight’, ‘Economy Classic’ and ‘Economy Light’. This ensures every traveller’s budget preferences can be met.
Contact Our Friendly Travel Consultants for a Quote
We know our stuff when it comes to holidays all around the world and – most importantly – with a little bit of information, our Travel Experts can tailor make a trip to suit you. So what are you waiting for?