You are here


From any phone, dial 911 in an emergency to reach the police, fire, or ambulance services. If your car breaks down on an interstate motorway, try to pull over onto the shoulder of the road and either wait for the state police to find you or, if you have other passengers who can wait in the car, walk to the nearest emergency roadside phone and call the state police. When calling for help, note your location according to the small green mileage markers posted along the motorway. Non-interstate highways are also patrolled but may not have emergency phones or mileage markers.