Ecuador to Peru Adventure
Traverse the heart of Ecuador on this tour from Quito through to the south-lying Peruvian capital. Witness the crashing waterfalls, steaming hot-springs and wild llamas of the Andes as you wander through the wild mountains, then balance it all out with exploration of UNESCO Heritage-listed cities that gracefully combine the old and the new. Take in Quito, Banos, Cuenca and Lima, hunting for volcanoes in the country and pisco sours in the cities. This is a South American adventure to remember.
Your tour to Ecuador includes:
- With its colonial architecture, plazas, churches and colourful local life, there's a reason Quito's Old Town is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage site
- Cueuna boasts colonial streets and buildings to wander, juxtaposed with El Cajas NP’s stunning landscapes to hike around – it’s the perfect mix of city and nature
- Seek out volcanoes, hot springs or waterfalls in Banos – it's just a stone’s throw away from plenty of interesting nature spots
- Head out on a city tour of Lima, visiting Miraflores and downtown, and join the Peruvian nightlife in the neighbourhood of Barranco
- Breakfasts Included: 7
- Lunches Included: 2
- Dinners Included: 2
- Hotel (6 nts),Jungle Lodge (2 nts)
- Local bus,Private vehicle,Taxi,Plane
- Age: min 15
- Group Size: 1 - 16
- Quito - Leader Led Orientation Walk
- Cuenca - Leader Led Orientation walk
- Lima - Leader led orientation walk of Miraflores
Day 1 Quito
Welcome to Quito, Ecuador. Your adventure begins with a welcome meeting at 2 pm. Please look for a note in the hotel lobby or ask the hotel reception where the welcome meeting will take place. After this important meeting, join your leader on a walking tour of the historic centre of Quito. Stroll through Plaza Grande (main square) and by the Archbishop's Palace. From here, walk about 800 metres uphill to reach the Basilica del Voto Nacional. Time permitting, you may wish to spend more time exploring this church and its views from the top towers. Finally, walk to La Ronda Street and pass by La Compania de Jesus (Church of the Society of Jesus) and San Francisco churches. At the end of the walk, your leader will recommend a local restaurant on La Ronda Street for an optional group dinner.
Quito is an incredible city with loads to see and do, so a few extra days here before the trip is highly recommended. Optional activities and Urban Adventures (best booked ahead of time) include a half-day tour to the Equator Line, a full-day tour to the massive Otavalo Market, a Cotopaxi Volcano adventure, a guided Cloud Forest hike, or a day of relaxing at Papallacta Hot Springs. Contact email@example.com or visit www.urbanadventures.com for more information and to book.
Day 2 Amazon Lodge (Amazon Jungle)
Today will be an early start, as the group will be on the move by 7 am. Catch a local bus from Quito Central Station to Tena (approximately 5 hours). There’s no toilet on board, but the bus will stop for one toilet break during the journey. From Tena, travel by private vehicle to Misahualli and then by boat to your lodge for the next two nights, arriving by approximately 1.30 pm, just in time for lunch. In the afternoon, your local hosts will introduce you to the local community and take you on a walk around the farm. Use this opportunity to try some fresh fruit and, if you’re feeling brave, tree worms. Finish the afternoon making chocolate dessert from scratch. With the help of the host, you’ll roast, grind and conch chocolate beans into your own chocolate sauce.
Day 3 Amazon Lodge (Amazon Jungle)
In the morning after breakfast, travel by canoe for 45 minutes to the starting point of today's hike. The trek (approximately 4–5 hours, depending on the group's pace) is relatively easy. During the hike, visit a protected private reserve in the secondary rainforest. This is also a great opportunity to spot insects and birds that inhabit this precious ecosystem. Throughout the walk, you’ll come to understand the importance of the jungle to the local community as your guide provides in-depth knowledge and history. After the walk, enjoy a packed lunch on the banks of the Arajuno River. Next you’ll have the opportunity to go tubing down the river. The water currents are not particularly strong however it’s part of our safety policy for all passengers to wear a life jacket if you wish to take part in this activity. The activity will last approximately 1 hour, you will then get back on board the Canoe and travel back to the Amazon lodge (approximately 1.5 hours) Once you get back to the lodge there will be time to shower and freshen up for dinner. After dinner, head out on a night jungle walk!
Day 4 Banos
Enjoy breakfast at around 7 am in the lodge. Afterwards, travel back to Tena the same way you arrived, then catch a local bus to Banos (approximately 3 hours). You should arrive in the city of Banos around midday, with the rest of the day free for you to do as you wish. Perhaps use your free time soaking in the city's natural baths or go for a hike into the valley and to the powerful falls of Pailon del Diablo (Devil's Cauldron).
Day 5 Banos
Enjoy a full day to explore Banos and take advantage of some of the optional activities. Perhaps rise early to watch the sunrise over the mountains near the hot springs. After breakfast, venture to Nuestra Senora del Agua Santa (Church of the Virgin of the Holy Water) and see the intricate murals that depict numerous stories about the virgin. If you have time, stroll around the local artisan markets to pick up a memento of the city. If your trip falls on the weekend or during the holidays, be prepared for carnival-like festivities that take place all over Banos.
Day 6 Cuenca
Take a local bus to Riobamba (approximately 3 hours), where you’ll swap buses and head south to Cuenca (approximately 5 hours). Cuenca may well be Ecuador's best looking city; indeed UNESCO rate it on their list of things they love. There are lots of impressive 500-year-old churches and colonial buildings, many made out of marble and decorated with stunning woodwork and ironwork. Cuenca is the home of the famous Panama hat, and if there’s time you could visit a factory and pick up one that fits perfectly. There's also a buzzing nightlife here, due in no small part to the university population.
Day 7 Cuenca
Meet up with your leader this morning and get to know Cuenca better with an orientation walk. Trundle along cobblestone streets and check out colonial parks and markets, and stop by the monumental cathedral at the centre. The rest of the day is free to explore Cuenca and the surrounding area. If you’re feeling cultural, maybe head to the Museo Pumapungo, which features an impressive range of artistic, historical, cultural, and ethnological exhibits (including a collection of real shrunken heads from the Shuar civilisation – for the strong stomached only!). Otherwise, maybe get out of town to El Cajas National Park, home to some of the most spectacular scenery in the country. Tonight you might want to get to bed early, in preparation for a very early start early tomorrow morning.
Day 8 Tumbes / Lima Flight
At approximately 3 am, begin by taking a taxi to the bus station in Cuenca, then a public bus south-east towards the coast and town of Huanquillas (approximately 5–6 hours). After crossing the border into Peru, make your way to the Umbes airport before flying to Lima, capital of Peru. Touch down and meet your new leader before heading to your hotel in Miraflores which sits conveniently by the beach. In the afternoon, embark on an orientation walk through Miraflores, passing the arty markets, shops, restaurants and bars before enjoying an evening at your leisure. Enjoy a free evening with the group, perhaps saying farewell over a pisco sour and a delicious ceviche.
Day 9 Lima
You've reached the end of your adventure. There are no activities planned for today and you’re able to depart the accommodation at any time. If you feel like you didn’t have much time in Lima at the start of your trip, perhaps stay on for a few extra days to see more of the city. We’ll be happy to assist with booking accommodation (subject to availability).
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 01 October 2018 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Please quote deal number 4850745 when you call.