Oaxaca Day of the Dead & Puerto Escondido
In Mexico, death isn’t the end of the road – it’s the beginning of a huge party. Rooted in Aztec tradition, Oaxaca’s colourful Dead of the Dead festivities have been drawing curious visitors for decades. This week-long tour throws you right into the middle of the action with four straight days of parades, macabre costumes, and market visits in search of sugar skulls. Then, it’s off to the coastal town of Puerto Escondido for a few days of well-earned R&R on the beach you’ll be more than grateful for – or, if you’ve still got the energy, parties galore.
Your tour to Mexico includes:
- Carte Blanche: Oaxaca. Visit to local markets to learn about ceremonial objects used for Day of the Dead. Cemetery visit to watch candlelight vigils. Day of the Dead parade in Oaxaca. Beach time in Puerto Escondido. All transport between destinations and to/from included activities.
- Meals Included
- No meals included
- Hotels/hostels (6 nts, most multi-share).
- Group Size Notes
- The G staff to traveller ratio of a small group, but it's a G party! The more the merrier.
- Private vehicle, walking.
Day 1 Oaxaca
Día de los Muertos, or Day of the Dead, is a festival that runs from October 31 to November 2 to celebrate and remember loved ones who have deceased. Although the festival is to honour those who have passed on, it is a festive and upbeat celebration rather than somber gathering. Families cook feasts and offer them by the graves of those who have passed to encourage them to come back and join in on the festivities. Oaxaca is one of the main hubs of celebrations for Day of the Dead – the cemetery vigils and street parades make this an experience not to miss!
Arrival Day and Welcome Meeting
Day 2 Oaxaca
Stop by a local market to learn about local traditions and ceremonial objects used during Day of the Dead celebrations, then visit a cemetery to see how locals honour the memory of their loved ones.
Oaxaca Market Visit
Day 3 Oaxaca
Join in the celebrations during a Day of the Dead parade. Experience all that is going on in the zócalo or main square.
Day of the Dead Parade
Day 4 Oaxaca
Enjoy free time to take part in the celebrations in the zócalo, spend the day checking out nearby artisan towns, or visit the ruins of Monte Albán.
Day 5 Oaxaca/Puerto Escondido
Travel to the tropical paradise of Puerto Escondido. Enjoy free time for optional activities, or chill on the beach.
Private Van with Wi-fi (6.00-7.00 hours, 255km)
Day 6 Puerto Escondido
If you haven't hit the waves yet, grab a board and hang ten, then enjoy an optional final night out with the group.
Day 7 Puerto Escondido
Depart at any time.
Puerto Escondido has an airport with daily flight connections to Mexico City. There are also multiple daily first-class buses that travel to Mexico City or Oaxaca City from Puerto Escondido.
Other important information
- Dossier Disclaimer
- The information in this trip details document has been compiled with care and is provided in good faith. However it is subject to change, and does not form part of the contract between the client and the operator. The itinerary featured is correct at time of printing. It may differ slightly to the one in the brochure. Occasionally our itineraries change as we make improvements that stem from past travellers, comments and our own research. Sometimes it can be a small change like adding an extra meal along the itinerary. Sometimes the change may result in us altering the tour for the coming year. Ultimately, our goal is to provide you with the most rewarding experience. Please note that our brochure is usually released in November each year. If you have booked from the previous brochure you may find there have been some changes to the itinerary. VERY IMPORTANT: Please ensure that you print a final copy of your Trip Details to review a couple of days prior to travel, in case there have been changes that affect your plans.
- Important Notes
- Medical Form
- Our small group adventures bring together people of all ages. It is very important you are aware that an average level of fitness and mobility is required to undertake our easiest programs. Travellers must be able to walk without the aid of another person, climb 3-4 flights of stairs, step on and off small boats, and carry their own luggage at a minimum. Travellers with a pre-existing medical condition are required to complete a short medical questionnaire, which must be signed by their physician. This is to ensure that travellers have the necessary fitness and mobility to comfortably complete their chosen trip. While our leaders work hard to ensure that all our travellers are catered for equally, it is not their responsibility to help individuals who cannot complete the day's activities unaided. Please refer to the physical ratings in this Trip Details document for more information. Please note that all passengers traveling to Antarctica are required to fill out this questionnaire. The medical questionnaire can be found online at .
Not included in the tour
- Meal Budget
- Local Flights
- Eating is a big part of traveling. Travelling with G Adventures you experience the vast array of wonderful food that is available out in the world. Generally meals are not included in the trip price when there is a choice of eating options, to give you the maximum flexibility in deciding where, what and with whom to eat. It also gives you more budgeting flexibility, though generally food is cheap. Our groups tend to eat together to enable you to taste a larger variety of dishes and enjoy each other's company. There is no obligation to do this though. Your CEO will be able to suggest favourite restaurants during your trip. The above information applies to G Adventures group trips. Please refer to the meals included and budget information for included meals and meal budgets.
- Solo Travellers
- We believe solo travellers should not have to pay more to travel so our group trips are designed for shared accommodation and do not involve a single supplement. Single travellers joining group trips are paired in twin or multi-share accommodation with someone of the same sex for the duration of the trip. Some of our Independent trips are designed differently and solo travellers on these itineraries must pay the single trip price.
- About Accommodation
- Accommodation will be varied throughout your adventure. Some nights we use multi-share accommodation, on a single-sex basis (typically 4-6 people per room). We have specifically chosen unique accommodations to give local flavour to your trip. Couples: Please note that due to the variety of accommodation used in Central America, couples will be split into separate rooms when we use multi-share hostels. Pending availability, couples may be able to pay extra while on tour to have their own room in some destinations.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 29 September 2018 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Please quote deal number 4382539 when you call.