Classic Shanghai to Hong Kong Adventure
Ultramodern and resolutely traditional, China is a land with one foot in the present and the other striding into the future. This eight-day adventure connects them both, beginning with Shanghai’s sleek skyscrapered skyline and a train to the limestone karsts of Guilin. Next, you’ll strap on your boots and hike into the countryside around Longji to wander the picturesque rice paddies. (Depending on the season, you may even get to help out with the harvest.) Finally, you’ll return to modern times with a two-day stint in always-on Hong Kong. Nature and modernity, in perfect balance.
Your tour to Shanghai includes:
- Carte Blanche: Shanghai. Longji Terraces half day trek. Orientation walk in Yangshuo. All transport between destinations and to/from included activities.
- Meals Included
- No meals included
- Hotels (4 nts), guesthouse (2 nts), sleeper train (1 nt).
- Group Size Notes
- Max 16, avg 12.
- Train, private vehicle.
Day 1 Shanghai
After the group meeting, head out for an optional group dinner and go for a stroll along the Bund, taking in Shanghai's futuristic skyline.
Arrival Day and Welcome Meeting
Day 2 Shanghai
Spend a free day exploring the mix of modern and historic in Shanghai before boarding an overnight train to Guilin.
Basic overnight train (beds) (19.50 hour(s))
Day 3 Longji
Luggage Storage: You have the option of storing your larger luggage at the entrance - we recommend bringing a 2-day pack and all valuables. From last stop of bus ride to the guesthouse it takes approx. 20 minutes of walking uphill.
Private Vehicle (2.00 hour(s))
Day 4 Longji
Longji is famous for its centuries old rice terraces, often referred to as the Dragon's Backbone, built along forested mountain slopes that seem to poke into the clouds. Check out the unique wooden architecture of the local Zhuang and Yao people.
Longji Terraces Half Day Trek
Day 5 Longji/Yangshuo
Spend two days in Yangshuo enjoying the heaps of activities available in this scenic region. Some favourites include trying your hand at cooking local fare at a boutique cooking school, dabbling in Tai Chi or Chinese calligraphy, walking and cycling through the countryside, climbing atop a karst for panoramic views or relaxing at one of the town's many cafés.
Private Vehicle (3.00-4.00 hours)
Day 6 Yangshuo
Discover more of scenic Yangshuo with a free day.
Day 7 Yangshuo/Hong Kong
Transfer to Guilin and board a train to Hong Kong, arriving in the late afternoon.
Border Crossing (China - Hong Kong)
Private Vehicle (1.50-2.00 hours)
Local train (3.50 hour(s))
Metro (1.50 hour(s))
Day 8 Hong Kong
Depart at any time.
Other important information
- Dossier Disclaimer
- The information in this trip details document has been compiled with care and is provided in good faith. However it is subject to change, and does not form part of the contract between the client and the operator. The itinerary featured is correct at time of printing. It may differ slightly to the one in the brochure. Occasionally our itineraries change as we make improvements that stem from past travellers, comments and our own research. Sometimes it can be a small change like adding an extra meal along the itinerary. Sometimes the change may result in us altering the tour for the coming year. Ultimately, our goal is to provide you with the most rewarding experience. Please note that our brochure is usually released in November each year. If you have booked from the previous brochure you may find there have been some changes to the itinerary. VERY IMPORTANT: Please ensure that you print a final copy of your Trip Details to review a couple of days prior to travel, in case there have been changes that affect your plans.
- Important Notes
- 1. LUGGAGE As we use (sometimes crowded) local transport please note backpacks are much more suitable than suitcases for this style of trip. Train travel means that bags have to be stowed either overhead or under beds, so travelling as light as possible is recommended.
- Medical Form
- Our small group adventures bring together people of all ages. It is very important you are aware that an average level of fitness and mobility is required to undertake our easiest programs. Travellers must be able to walk without the aid of another person, climb 3-4 flights of stairs, step on and off small boats, and carry their own luggage at a minimum. Travellers with a pre-existing medical condition are required to complete a short medical questionnaire, which must be signed by their physician. This is to ensure that travellers have the necessary fitness and mobility to comfortably complete their chosen trip. While our leaders work hard to ensure that all our travellers are catered for equally, it is not their responsibility to help individuals who cannot complete the day's activities unaided. Please refer to the physical ratings in this Trip Details document for more information. Please note that all passengers traveling to Antarctica are required to fill out this questionnaire. The medical questionnaire can be found online at .
Not included in the tour
- Meal Budget
- Local Flights
- Eating is a big part of travelling. Travelling with G Adventures you experience the vast array of wonderful food that is available out in the world. Generally meals are not included in the trip price when there is a choice of eating options, to give you the maximum flexibility in deciding where, what and with whom to eat. It also gives you more budgeting flexibility, though generally food is cheap. Our groups tend to eat together to enable you to taste a larger variety of dishes and enjoy each other's company. There is no obligation to do this though. Your CEO will be able to suggest favourite restaurants during your trip. Vegetarians will be able to find a huge range of different foods - India is vegetarian heaven. For all trips please refer to the meals included and budget information for included meals and meal budgets.
- Solo Travellers
- We believe solo travellers should not have to pay more to travel so our group trips are designed for shared accommodation and do not involve a single supplement. Single travellers joining group trips are paired in twin or multi-share accommodation with someone of the same sex for the duration of the trip. Some of our Independent trips are designed differently and solo travellers on these itineraries must pay the single trip price.
- About Accommodation
- A variety of styles of hotels/guest houses are used on this trip. In many instances they might not be like what you are used to back home as service and efficiency can vary. In some areas we stay in local guest houses - rooms are small and simple but locations are great.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 26 September 2018 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Please quote deal number 4382523 when you call.