Everest Base Camp Trek - Expedition Departures
Taking us to the most iconic base camp of all, at the foot of the greatest mountain in the world, Mount Everest (8848m), this is one of the world's classic treks. This special departure has the added excitement of camping at Base Camp itself for two nights; a magnificent setting at the foot of the Khumbu Ica Fall, at a time when it will be bustling with expedition parties preparing for their summit attempts. The journey to Base Camp passes through Sherpa country and allows time to acclimatise before reaching the spectacular high altitude scenery: the incredible monastery at Thyangboche, views of Ama Dablam, Everest and other mighty Himalayan peaks.
Your tour to Asia includes:
- The iconic Himalayan trek to the foot of the highest mountain on Earth
- Included: * All breakfasts, 2 lunches and 2 dinners * Morning bed-tea on trek * Welcome drink at each overnight lodge * 3 nights standard hotels, 12 nights teahouses and 2 nights full-service camping * All transport and listed activities * Tour leader throughout, plus local staff (staff to client ratio of 1:4 on trek) * Flights from London (if booking incl. flights) * Arrival and departure transfers * Full porterage throughout trek * Sleeping mattress whilst camping * Exodus kitbag * Trekking map (provided locally) * Trekking permit and national park fees
- Food: In the tea-houses breakfast will be a set menu usually consisting of porridge and toast and usually some variety of egg. Any additional items that are not included in the set menu should be ordered and paid for separately. We do not include lunch and dinner in the teahouses, allowing you to choose what you want to eat and when. Although most lodges have almost identical menus, they are reasonably extensive and offer a varied selection, ranging from traditional Nepalese dhal bhat to pizza and apple pie. Dhal bhat is the staple diet in Nepal and comes in many different forms but generally comprises some curried lentil dhal and meat or vegetables, some rice, and a pickle/chutney. Another popular snack is momos; a type of Nepalese dumpling, fried or steamed, filled with meat or vegetables. Although meat is available in the teahouses, we advise against eating it on trek. The meat has often been carried in the heat from lower altitudes for several days before reaching the lodges and can cause stomach upsets or illness. Germs can also be spread by handling dirty money - we recommend using hand sanitiser. During the two nights camping all food is included and will be prepared by an expedition cook. Trekkers usually sit in a different dining tent to climbers as the climbers will be preparing for their summit attempt. *Drinking Water* Staying hydrated is important when undertaking any physical activity but particularly so at altitude where it is generally recommended to drink at least 3-4 litres per person per day. We strongly encourage you not to buy bottled water on trek as this contributes to the growing problem of plastic pollution in Nepal’s trekking areas. All teahouses will provide cold water free of charge, if requested. Although this should not be drunk untreated, we recommend that you bring a reusable bottle with a wide opening (Nalgene or similar) with you and use a SteriPEN to treat it with. A SteriPEN is a handheld UV water purifier – small, lightweight and battery powered so easy to pack for a trek. In Nepal’s trekking regions most of the bottled water isn’t strictly ‘mineral water’ anyway but is UV treated, so it’s exactly the same technology. It’s quick to use, far more effective than purification tablets, and the water is ready immediately. It’s fine to use a SteriPEN on non-boiled water so long as it isn’t cloudy or full of sediment (which is uncommon in these regions). SteriPENs are widely stocked on Amazon, outdoor shops and other online retailers; look for the latest models but avoid USB charging ones. Better still, a SteriPEN will pay for itself over the course of the trek and you won’t leave behind a single plastic bottle – you will end up spending the same or even less than you would on bottled water, plus you can keep it for future trips. If you prefer not to invest in a SteriPEN, the teahouses also sell boiled water for approx. Rs150-300 per litre (the price increases the higher you trek). This is perfect for a bedtime refill as it can double up as a hot water bottle but we advise to still treat it before drinking. While camping, our staff will collect and boil drinking water from the mountain streams/snow and ice and fill up your water bottles for you, but you may wish to use your own water purification treatment as well.
Short but spectacular flight to Lukla (2800m); trek to Phakding.
Follow the Dudh Kosi and ascend to Namche Bazaar, with time to explore the Sherpa villages.
Acclimatisation walk to Kunde and Khumjung; descend to Kyanjuma.
Trek through the Sherpa heartland to the monastery at Thyangboche for superb mountain views.
Continue up the Khumbu Valley and then the Imja Valley to Dingboche.
Spend the day at Dingboche for acclimatisation.
Continue the ascent to Lobuje.
Follow the Khumbu Glacier to Gorak Shep.
Continue along the lateral moraine to Everest Base Camp. Camp overnight.
Explore the area around Everest Base Camp. Camp overnight.
Long descent to Pheriche.
Retrace our steps to Kyanjuma.
Descend through Namche to Monzo.
Continue to Lukla.
Fly to Kathmandu.
Free day in Kathmandu to explore the city.
Other important information
- Min Age : 16
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 28 October 2017 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Please quote deal number 4370282 when you call.