Rock to Reef Overland (ex Yulara)
Pack your sturdiest hiking boots and don’t forget the snorkel – itineraries like this are a very rare thing indeed. For those keen to check out two of Australia’s best-known attractions – and cover some serious ground while at it – this off-road adventure across the Red Centre and into Cairns offers the chance to encounter an Australia few ever do. Starting off in outback Yulara, spend a few days exploring the region’s spectacular natural features – Uluru and Kata Tjuta not least of them – before hitting the road east into Queensland. Over the next few days you’ll be getting to know a part of Australia very rarely travelled, with myriad landscapes whizzing past and included stop-offs at little-known outposts like Boulia, Hughenden and Winton. As you near Cairns and its coastline, the scenery unfurls in lush, tropical rainforest and waterfall-fed swimming holes. This journey is equal parts road trip and environmental showcase of Australia’s incredible biodiversity.
Your tour to Australia includes:
- Cut through the centre of Australia on one of the most remote 4WD tracks in the country
- See the striking sands of the Red Centre to the sparkling turquoise waters of the North-East
- Travel with a small group of 16 in a custom built 4WD
- Get off the beaten track in a region that no other travel companies go
- Enjoy our exclusive Australian Native Foods menu throughout the trip. Created in conjunction with Aussie bush tucker specialist Andrew Fielke, you will be treated to a plethora of native dishes incorporating ingredients such as kangaroo, emu, lemon myrtle, desert lime, wattle seed and more
- Breakfasts Included: 5
- Lunches Included: 6
- Dinners Included: 5
- Camping (with facilities) (4 nights),Hostel (2 nights)
- Private vehicle
- Age: min 12
- Group Size: 1 - 16
- Uluru & Kata Tjuta National Park Fee
- Uluru Base Walk
- Uluru Cultural Centre
- Maruku Arts interactive Indigenous experience
- Kings Canyon Rim Walk
- Millstream Falls
- Porcupine Creek
Day 1 Alice Springs to Uluru (Ayers Rock)
Drive out from Yulara to Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, the home of the captivating icon, Uluru (Ayer's Rock). See the many-headed Olga's and spend an hour navigating the boulders and bornhardts of this gigantic rock formation by foot. The 36 giant boulders here stand side by side, forming deep valleys and steep-sided gorges. When the sun starts to set, toast Uluru’s backlit horizon with a glass of sparkling and watch the rock's colours change. While you’re doing this, your tour host will be busy preparing dinner.
Notes: Total walking time today is around an hour.
Day 2 Kata Tjuta to Kings Canyon
Rise and shine folks, this morning’s sunrise is one you really won’t want to miss. After watching day break over the world’s largest slab of sandstone, enjoy an unguided walk around Uluru’s base before the day-trippers arrive. (Or just head back to bed. It’s your call). Get to know Uluru – and hear about the traditions and beliefs of the region’s traditional custodians during a cultural interpretive walk led by an indigenous guide. There’ll also be the chance to inspect Aboriginal arts and crafts at the onsite Cultural Centre before travelling on to Watarrka National Park.
Note: Total driving time today is around three and a half hours. Total walking time is approximately two hours.
Day 3 Kings Canyon to Alice Springs
Set out on a six kilometre hike Rim Walk around the rugged Kings Canyon, taking in key geographical sites such as the Lost City, Garden of Eden, and several other hidden highlights. Kings Canyon is part of the Watarrka National ParkWatarrka National Park and is one very photogenic place, so don’t forget to bring the camera. After lunch it’s back to Alice Springs for a night in this tiny Outback hub.
Note: Total driving time takes around five hours. Total walking time is approximately three hours.
Day 4 Alice Springs to Jervois Station
Spend a half day free in Alice Springs to visit the Royal Flying Doctor Service and Reptile Centre or relax in Central Australia’s most iconic town. (Entry fees not included). Then be ready for pickup at 1pm for departure to Jervois Station where we camp for the night under the stars.
Day 5 Jervois Station to Boulia
Enjoy the Spectacular scenery as we make our way through some of the most remote country in the world! Crossing from Northern Territory into Queensland our track is mostly dirt road between Alice Springs and Boulia. You are now on one of the most remote tracks in the world!
Day 6 Boulia to Hughenden
Leaving Boulia, it’s back on the road again – this time to Hughenden. First stop for the day is Winton, a small town with a surprisingly eventful history. QANTAS, now Australia’s national airline, had its first home in Winton; Waltzing Matilda, the Australia’s unofficial anthem, was first performed in the town’s pub; and in 1999 the fossil remains of Australia’s largest dinosaur, ‘Elliot’, were discovered by a local grazier. Even former U.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson popped in for a visit when a flight he was on had to make a forced landing. Continuing the journey east, watch the landscape develop from the dry desert country of Queensland’s southwest into the tropical greenery of the north.
Note: Total driving time takes around six hours.
Day 7 Hughenden to Cairns
Explore the coloured sandstone cliffs, tranquil waterholes and savanna plains of Porcupine Gorge. Stop in at Lynd Junction for a frothy or two at Australia’s smallest pub. Before reaching our destination we drive through the Atherton Tablelands where we visit Millstream Falls. This outback adventure finishes up on arrival in Cairns early evening.
Note: Total driving time takes around six and a half hours. Total walking time is approximately three hours.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 25 October 2017 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Please quote deal number 4270775 when you call.