Rock to Reef
Pack your sturdiest hiking boots and don’t forget the snorkel – itineraries like this are a very rare thing indeed. For those keen to check out two of Australia’s best-known attractions – and cover some serious ground while at it – this off-road adventure across the Red Centre and into Cairns offers the chance to encounter an Australia few ever do. Starting off in the archetypal outback town of Alice Springs, spend a few days exploring the region’s spectacular natural features – Uluru and Kata Tjuta not least of them – before hitting the road east into Queensland. Over the next few days you’ll be getting to know a part of Australia very rarely travelled, with myriad landscapes whizzing past and included stop-offs at little-known outposts like Boulia, Hughenden and Winton. As you near Cairns and its coastline, the scenery unfurls in lush, tropical rainforest and waterfall-fed swimming holes. This journey is equal parts road trip and environmental showcase of Australia’s incredible biodiversity.
Your tour to Australia includes:
- Cut through the centre of Australia on one of the most remote 4WD tracks in the country
- See the striking sands of the Red Centre to the sparkling turquoise waters of the North-East
- Travel with a small group of 16 in a custom built 4WD
- Get off the beaten track in a region that no other travel companies go
- Enjoy our exclusive Australian Native Foods menu throughout the trip. Created in conjunction with Aussie bush tucker specialist Andrew Fielke, you will be treated to a plethora of native dishes incorporating ingredients such as kangaroo, emu, lemon myrtle, desert lime, wattle seed and more
- Breakfasts Included: 5
- Lunches Included: 6
- Dinners Included: 5
- Camping (with facilities) (4 nights),Hostel (2 nights)
- 4WD Vehicle
- Age: min 12
- Group Size: 1 - 16
- Uluru & Kata Tjuta National Park Entrance
- Uluru Base Walk
- Uluru Cultural Centre
- Maruku Arts interactive Indigenous experience
- Kings Canyon Rim Walk
- Millstream Falls
- Porcupine Creek
Day 1 Alice Springs to Uluru (Ayres Rock)
Starting in Alice Springs, we set off to experience the wonder of the iconic Uluru. We make a stop at an authentic outback camel farm and for those that are keen there is the option to go for a short ride on the back of one of these desert animals (at your own expense). Continue on to the permanent campsite at Yulara for lunch before embarking to explore the 36 domes of Kata Tjuta, getting up close to this ancient geological formation.
As the sun begins to disappear below the horizon, take a glass of sparkling wine and watch the rock’s rich colours change against the backdrop of a blazing Red Centre sunset. This is the perfect end to a remarkable day. Your tour host will have dinner and a glass of wine awaiting your arrival back at camp.
Notes: Total driving time is approximately four and a half hours. Total walking time is around an hour.
Day 2 Kata Tjuta to Kings Canyon
An early start is rewarded with a glorious Uluru sunrise. While the morning is still fresh enjoy an unguided walk around the base of Uluru. Deepen your understanding of the land during a cultural interpretive walk with an Aboriginal guide. It is a unique opportunity to share experiences, and to connect with and learn about the oldest culture on earth. Afterwards, you will have the opportunity to purchase Aboriginal arts and crafts at the Cultural Centre before we travel to our exclusive campsite within the Watarrka National Park (Kings Canyon) where we sleep for the night.
Note: Total driving time today is around three and a half hours. Total walking time is approximately two hours.
Day 3 Kings Canyon to Alice Springs
Discover the Lost City and the Garden of Eden on a 6km hike in Kings Canyon. Admire and explore the towering walls and crevices of Watarrka National Park. The photo opportunities are endless in Kings Canyon so be sure to bring your camera. At the end of the trek it’s time to refuel with a bite to eat before making the journey back to the remote centre of Alice Springs.
Note: Total driving time takes around five hours. Total walking time is approximately three hours.
Day 4 Alice Springs to Jervois Station
Spend half a day free in Alice Springs to visit the Royal Flying Doctor Service and Reptile Centre or relax in Central Australia’s most iconic town. (Entry fees not included). Then be ready for pickup at 1pm for departure to Jervois Station where we camp for the night under the stars.
Day 5 Jervois Station to Boulia
Enjoy the Spectacular scenery as we make our way through some of the most remote country in the world! Crossing from Northern Territory into Queensland our track is mostly dirt road between Alice Springs and Boulia. You are now on one of the most remote tracks in the world!
Day 6 Boulia to Hughenden
Departing Boulia we travel through the remote country towards our first stop – Winton (Home of Waltzing Matilda). This is truly a very special part of the world. Experience ever-changing scenery from the dry desert country in South Western Queensland into the tropical north.
Note: Total driving time takes around six hours.
Day 7 Hughenden to Cairns
Visit the cliffs of coloured sandstone, vine forest and deep permanent waterholes along Porcupine Creek contrast strikingly with the savanna plains surrounding Porcupine Gorge. We stop at the smallest pub in Australia at Lynd Junction. Before reaching our destination we drive through the Atherton Tablelands where we visit Millstream Falls. Arrive in Cairns in the early evening.
Note: Total driving time takes around six and a half hours. Total walking time is approximately three hours.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 18 December 2017 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Please quote deal number 4270774 when you call.