Australia North to South – Darwin to Adelaide
Between Darwin and Adelaide there’s a lot to see, so be prepared to pack a whole lot into this two-week itinerary. Heading south from the Northern Territory, you’ll be making stops at two of Australia’s great National Parks – Kakadu and Litchfield – checking out wildlife, waterfalls, and more. Experience just how vast the Outback is while driving towards Alice Springs, then make your way to the Red Centre and witness the magic of Uluru. From there head over to Coober Pedy, where you’ll see what a small town does to beat the extreme heat (hint: look down), as well as a few historical sites before you reach Adelaide.
Your tour to Darwin includes:
- Recharge: Mataranka Hot Springs Visit Hands-On: Wine Tasting, Clare Valley. Wetland nature cruise in crocodile territory. Aboriginal art and craft centre visit. Guided exploration of Kakadu and Litchfield NPs. Underground mine tour. Champagne sunset viewing of Uluru. Mala Walk around Uluru and visit to the cultural centre. Hike at Kings Canyon (seasonal). All transport between destinations and to/from included activities.
- Meals Included
- 9 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 5 dinners
- Hostels (6 nts), swag camping (6 nts), underground hostel (1 nt). All nights multi-share.
- Group Size Notes
- Max 20, avg 16
- Private vehicle, boat, walking.
Day 1 Darwin
Arrive at any time.
Arrival Day and Welcome Meeting
Day 2 Darwin/Litchfield National Park (1B, 1L, 1D)
Set off early from Darwin and head to Litchfield National Park. Visit the Florence Falls, the Buley Rockhole and see the spectacular giant termite mounds. Later, go on a wetland nature cruise to try and spot crocs. Stretch out in a swag (padded canvas bedroll) and sleep under the stars.
The itinerary for this day varies depending on seasonal/weekly weather. We will visit slightly different attractions depending on the weather conditions.
Litchfield National Park Visit
Crocodile-Spotting Boat Cruise
Private Vehicle (5.00 hour(s), 350km)
Day 3 Litchfield National Park/Kakadu National Park (1B, 1L, 1D)
Embark early on a full day of exploring. Travel to our overnight camp near Kakadu NP, where swags or tents await. End the day with a group barbecue.
Ubirr Rock Art
Gunlom Falls Visit
Private Vehicle (5.00 hour(s), 350km)
Day 4 Kakadu National Park/Katherine Gorge (1B, 1D)
Spend the morning exploring Kakadu NP. Finish the day with a drive to beautiful Katherine Gorge, stopping at Edith Falls on the way.
Private Vehicle (4.00 hour(s), 300km)
Day 5 Katherine/Daly Waters (1B, 1L)
Enjoy a free morning. Opt to walk the stunning Katherine Gorge or get adventurous with a flat-bottomed boat or helicopter flight over the gorge. Stop off at nearby hot springs, then travel to the small town of Daly Waters. Hit up the local watering hole for a true Outback experience.
We end the day in Daly Waters, a small Outback town. It may seem quiet at first glance, but end the day at the famous local pub for a true Outback experience.
Mataranka Hot Springs Visit
Private Vehicle (4.00 hour(s), 300km)
Day 6 Daly Waters/Alice Springs (1B, 1L)
Take in the vastness of the Northern Territory and travel south to Alice Springs via the Devils Marbles - giant red granite boulders that are a sacred site to Aboriginals.
Private Vehicle (12.00 hour(s), 920km)
Day 7 Alice Springs
Enjoy a free day to relax and explore Alice Springs.
Day 8 Alice Springs/Uluru
Depart early for the Red Centre. Travel to Kings Canyon and embark on an optional walk, weather permitting, through the gorges and valleys of Watarrka National Park.
Continue on to the Yulara campground for the night.
During the summer (late October - early March), due to high temperatures we'll be visiting the Ochre Pits and Ellery Creek Big Hole in the West MacDonnell Ranges instead of Kings Creek. During the winter, if the temperature is forecasted to be 35°C or above we will also be following the summer itinerary.
Kings Canyon Hike
Private Vehicle (6.00 hour(s))
Day 9 Uluru (1B, 1D)
Visit the Aboriginal Cultural Centre to get a better understanding of the area before embarking on the Mala Walk around part of the base of Uluru (Ayers Rock). Learn the significance behind this iconic destination for the local people.
Experience the colourful sunset at Uluru while enjoying a glass of bubbly. Marvel at the night sky while bunking down in a swag (canvas bedroll) for the night.
Uluru Mala Walk
Aboriginal Cultural Centre Visit
Uluru at Sunset
Day 10 Uluru/Coober Pedy (1B)
Travel across the Outback to the unique opal mining town of Coober Pedy, where people live underground to avoid the heat. A guided mine tour gives insight to the mining process and then importance of opal to the area.
This is one of a few long travel days on this itinerary. The vast expanses of the Outback make long drives necessary to travel between towns – so strap in and enjoy the desert scenery, get to know a fellow traveller, and chill out on this epic Outback roadtrip!
Guided Mine Tour
Private Vehicle (9.00-9.50 hours, 780km)
Day 11 Coober Pedy/Flinders Ranges (1B, 1D)
Prepare for an early morning start for the travel day to Flinders Ranges.
Private Vehicle (10.00-11.00 hours, 590km)
Day 12 Flinders Ranges/Adelaide (1B)
Travel through the Clare Valley wine area, making a stop for a wine tasting and demonstration to learn about the development of the vineyards in the area. Arrive in Adelaide, known as the "city of churches'.
Private Vehicle (7.50-9.00 hours, 380km)
Day 13 Adelaide
With an emerging art scene, natural beauty and attractions, and incredible restaurants, Adelaide has tons to see and do. Get out and discover the hub of South Australia!
Day 14 Adelaide
Depart at any time.
Want one final adventure before heading home? Spend an extra day in Adelaide and add the 'Dolphin Swim and Cruise' extra to your tour. Head out in search of wild dolphins, before hopping into the water and going for a swim as they play around you. Available mid-Sept to June.
PLEASE NOTE: If booking this extra, a post-night in Adelaide is highly recommended as this activity will be on the final day of your tour.
Other important information
- Dossier Disclaimer
- The information in this trip details document has been compiled with care and is provided in good faith. However it is subject to change, and does not form part of the contract between the client and the operator. The itinerary featured is correct at time of printing. It may differ slightly to the one in the brochure. Occasionally our itineraries change as we make improvements that stem from past travellers, comments and our own research. Sometimes it can be a small change like adding an extra meal along the itinerary. Sometimes the change may result in us altering the tour for the coming year. Ultimately, our goal is to provide you with the most rewarding experience. Please note that our brochure is usually released in November each year. If you have booked from the previous brochure you may find there have been some changes to the itinerary. VERY IMPORTANT: Please ensure that you print a final copy of your Trip Details to review a couple of days prior to travel, in case there have been changes that affect your plans.
- Important Notes
- 1. This tour is a combination of several G Adventures tours, and your CEO, fellow passengers or vehicle may change between the individual tour sections. 2. Please be aware that wifi and internet access is not as readily available in Australia as in other parts of the world. There are often additional charges to connect to the internet, and speeds may be slower than what you are used to. 3. Over public holidays in Australia and New Zealand (such as Christmas, New Years Day, Easter, and Anzac Day) there may be some limitations of services and disruptions to schedules. In general our tours still operate effectively over public holidays, but there may be closures of optional activities and restaurants, and slight itinerary adjustments in order to provide all tour inclusions.
- Medical Form
- Our small group adventures bring together people of all ages. It is very important you are aware that an average level of fitness and mobility is required to undertake our easiest programs. Travellers must be able to walk without the aid of another person, climb 3-4 flights of stairs, step on and off small boats, and carry their own luggage at a minimum. Travellers with a pre-existing medical condition are required to complete a short medical questionnaire, which must be signed by their physician. This is to ensure that travellers have the necessary fitness and mobility to comfortably complete their chosen trip. While our leaders work hard to ensure that all our travellers are catered for equally, it is not their responsibility to help individuals who cannot complete the day's activities unaided. Please refer to the physical ratings in this Trip Details document for more information. Please note that all passengers traveling to Antarctica are required to fill out this questionnaire. The medical questionnaire can be found online at .
Not included in the tour
- Meal Budget
- Local Flights
- Eating is a big part of traveling. Travelling with G Adventures you experience the vast array of wonderful food that is available out in the world. Generally meals are not included in the trip price when there is a choice of eating options, to give you the maximum flexibility in deciding where, what and with whom to eat. It also gives you more budgeting flexibility, though generally food is cheap. Our groups tend to eat together to enable you to taste a larger variety of dishes and enjoy each other's company. There is no obligation to do this though. Your CEO will be able to suggest favourite restaurants during your trip. Please note that most included breakfasts will consist of cereal, milk, bread and spreads, juice, tea and instant coffee. Having a simple breakfast together most days allows us the flexibility to get on the road early and get from point A to B all that much faster.
- Solo Travellers
- We believe solo travellers should not have to pay more to travel so our group trips are designed for shared accommodation and do not involve a single supplement. Single travellers joining group trips are paired in twin or multi-share accommodation with someone of the same sex for the duration of the trip. Some of our Independent trips are designed differently and solo travellers on these itineraries must pay the single trip price.
- About Accommodation
- Accommodation will be varied throughout your adventure. When camping on this tour, you will be provided with an Aussie 'swag'—a canvas bedroll with built-in padding and perfect for a night under the stars. Towels and soap are not always provided at overnight stops, so it's best to bring your own for bathing. Bathroom and showering facilities are shared and are very rarely en-suite. Multi-share accommodation, on a single-sex basis (typically 4-6 people per room), is very common in Australia and is the way you will be spending most of your nights. We have specifically chosen unique accommodations to give local flavour to your trip. COUPLES: Please note that due to the types of accommodation used in Australia, couples will likely be split into separate rooms where we use multi-share hostels. Pending availability, couples may be able to pay extra while on tour to have their own room in some destinations. PRE/POST ACCOMMODATION: If booking additional nights before or after your tour, accommodation will be multi-share on a mixed gender basis.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 26 June 2018 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Please quote deal number 3901449 when you call.