Outback to the Red Centre–Adelaide to Alice Springs
Forego the typical coach tour and get off the beaten track from Adelaide to Alice Springs and explore some of the most remote areas on Earth. From Adelaide, hit the Flinders Ranges and cut through the Outback to the Red Centre. Here you’ll meet some of the locals, experience the mysteries of Uluru, and gain insight into regional Aboriginal and European history. Geared towards budget-conscious travellers looking to hit the Outback’s highlights, this itinerary features lots of inclusions for less than you'd expect.
Your tour to Adelaide includes:
- Hands-On: Wine Tasting, Clare Valley. Aboriginal cultural centre visit. Underground mine tour. Champagne sunset viewing of Uluru. Mala Walk around Uluru and visit to the culture centre. Hikes at Kata Tjuta (the Olgas) and Kings Canyon. All transport between destinations and to/from included activities.
- Meals Included
- 8 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 4 dinners
- Hostels (4 nts), swag camping (3 nts), underground hostel (1 nt). All nights multi-share.
- Group Size Notes
- Max 20, avg 16
- Private vehicle, walking.
Day 1 Adelaide
There are no planned activities during the day, so check in and explore the city. Opt to go for a cruise to swim with dolphins (seasonal), take the tram to Glenelg beach, visit a nearby winery, grab lunch at the Central Market, or enjoy time getting lost in the city.
Ever wanted to swim with wild dolphins? Now's your chance, by adding the 'Dolphin Swim and Cruise' extra to your tour. Head out from Adelaide and search for these majestic creatures, before hopping into the water and going for a swim as they play around you. Available mid-Sept to June.
PLEASE NOTE: If booking this extra, a pre-night in Adelaide is highly recommended as this activity starts early on Day 1.
Arrival Day and Welcome Meeting
Day 2 Adelaide/Quorn (1B)
Hit the road in the morning. Travel through the Clare Valley wine area, making a stop for a wine tasting to learn about the different grape varietals and the development of the vineyards in the area. Travel to the town of Quorn for the night.
Private Vehicle (4.00 hour(s), 350km)
Day 3 Quorn/Beltana (1B, 1L, 1D)
Take the day to explore the amazing scenery of Flinders Ranges.
Wilpena Pound Hike
Private Vehicle (4.00 hour(s), 300km)
Day 4 Beltana/William Creek (1B, 1L, 1D)
We follow the Oodnadatta Track, strewn with ruins of failed early settler activity, along the route of the equally unsuccessful original Ghan Railway route. Visit the dry salt lake of Lake Eyre.
Private Vehicle (5.50-6.00 hours, 400km)
Day 5 William Creek/Coober Pedy (1B)
Travel to the unique opal mining town of Coober Pedy, where people live underground to avoid the heat. A guided mine tour gives insight to the mining process and the importance of opal to the area. Overnight like the locals by sleeping in an underground hostel, a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
Guided Mine Tour
Private Vehicle (2.50 hour(s), 200km)
Day 6 Coober Pedy/Kings Creek (1B, 1D)
Take in the vastness of the Outback on a driving day, then bed down in a swag (padded canvas bedroll) around a campfire and sleep under the Outback sky.
Private Vehicle (10.00 hour(s), 760km)
Day 7 Kings Creek/Uluru (1B, 1L)
Enjoy the morning taking in the scenery or by going on an optional 4km walk through the gorges and valleys of Kings Canyon of Watarrka Natoinal Park.
Kings Canyon Hike
Uluru at Sunset
Private Vehicle (4.50 hour(s), 420km)
Day 8 Uluru (1B, 1L, 1D)
The next morning, awake before sunrise to do the Mala Walk around part of the base of Uluru (Ayers Rock) while learning its significance to the local Aboriginals. Visit the cultural centre to get a better understanding of the area.
Uluru Mala Walk
Aboriginal Cultural Centre Visit
Day 9 Uluru/Alice Springs (1B)
Travel to the rock formations of Kata Tjuta (the Olgas) and, heat permitting, walk through the Valley of the Winds to explore the surrounding area before continuing onto Alice Springs.
The tour ends upon arrival to Alice Springs in the evening.
Valley of the Winds Walk
Departure Day (Activities)
Private Vehicle (4.50 hour(s), 375km)
Other important information
- Dossier Disclaimer
- The information in this trip details document has been compiled with care and is provided in good faith. However it is subject to change, and does not form part of the contract between the client and the operator. The itinerary featured is correct at time of printing. It may differ slightly to the one in the brochure. Occasionally our itineraries change as we make improvements that stem from past travellers, comments and our own research. Sometimes it can be a small change like adding an extra meal along the itinerary. Sometimes the change may result in us altering the tour for the coming year. Ultimately, our goal is to provide you with the most rewarding experience. Please note that our brochure is usually released in November each year. If you have booked from the previous brochure you may find there have been some changes to the itinerary. VERY IMPORTANT: Please ensure that you print a final copy of your Trip Details to review a couple of days prior to travel, in case there have been changes that affect your plans.
- Important Notes
- 1. This tour combines with other G Adventures tours. As such, some staff and travel companions may be continuing together on another G Adventures tour after your trip concludes. Additionally, this tour is a combination of several G Adventures tours, and your CEO, fellow passengers or vehicle may change between the individual tour sections. 2. Please be aware that wifi and internet access is not as readily available in Australia as in other parts of the world. There are often additional charges to connect to the internet, and speeds may be slower than what you are used to. 3. Over public holidays in Australia and New Zealand (such as Christmas, New Years Day, Easter, and Anzac Day) there may be some limitations of services and disruptions to schedules. In general our tours still operate effectively over public holidays, but there may be closures of optional activities and restaurants, and slight itinerary adjustments in order to provide all tour inclusions.
- Medical Form
- Our small group adventures bring together people of all ages. It is very important you are aware that, as a minimum, an average level of fitness and mobility' is required to undertake our easiest programs. Travellers must be able to walk without the aid of another person, climb 3-4 flights of stairs, step on and off small boats, and carry their own luggage at a minimum. Travellers with a pre-existing medical condition are required to complete a short medical questionnaire, which must be signed by their physician. This is to ensure that travellers have the necessary fitness and mobility to comfortably complete their chosen trip. While our CEOs work hard to ensure that all our travellers are catered for equally, it is not their responsibility to help individuals who cannot complete the day's activities unaided. Please refer to the physical ratings in this Trip Details document for more information. The medical questionnaire can be found online at: .
Not included in the tour
- Meal Budget
- Local Flights
- Eating is a big part of traveling. Travelling with G Adventures you experience the vast array of wonderful food that is available out in the world. Generally meals are not included in the trip price when there is a choice of eating options, to give you the maximum flexibility in deciding where, what and with whom to eat. It also gives you more budgeting flexibility, though generally food is cheap. Our groups tend to eat together to enable you to taste a larger variety of dishes and enjoy each other's company. There is no obligation to do this though. Your CEO will be able to suggest favourite restaurants during your trip. Please note that most included breakfasts will consist of cereal, milk, bread and spreads, juice, tea and instant coffee. Having a simple breakfast together most days allows us the flexibility to get on the road early and get from point A to B all that much faster.
- Solo Travellers
- We believe solo travellers should not have to pay more to travel so our group trips are designed for shared accommodation and do not involve a single supplement. Single travellers joining group trips are paired in twin or multi-share accommodation with someone of the same sex for the duration of the trip. Some of our Independent trips are designed differently and solo travellers on these itineraries must pay the single trip price.
- About Accommodation
- Accommodation will be varied throughout your adventure. When camping on this tour, you will be provided with an Aussie 'swag'—a canvas bedroll with built-in padding and perfect for a night under the stars. Towels and soap are not always provided at overnight stops, so it's best to bring your own for bathing. Bathroom and showering facilities are shared and are very rarely en-suite. Multi-share accommodation, on a single-sex basis (typically 4-6 people per room), is very common in Australia and is the way you will be spending most of your nights. We have specifically chosen unique accommodations to give local flavour to your trip. COUPLES: Please note that due to the types of accommodation used in Australia, couples will likely be split into separate rooms where we use multi-share hostels. Pending availability, couples may be able to pay extra while on tour to have their own room in some destinations. PRE/POST ACCOMMODATION: If booking additional nights before or after your tour, accommodation will be multi-share on a mixed gender basis.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 26 June 2018 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Please quote deal number 3885678 when you call.