Outback to the Top End–Adelaide to Darwin
You can’t get Down Under through a bus window. If you’re going to get off the tourist track, you’ll have to shake things up a bit – that’s why we’ve turned to private vehicles and boats for this itinerary. Starting in charming Adelaide, cut through the Outback and explore the mysteries of Uluru. Follow your curiosity down the deserted tracks that make Australia so remote and spend 15 days discovering the natural beauty of one of the world’s most awe-inspiring destinations.
Your tour to Adelaide includes:
- Hands-On: Wine Tasting, Clare Valley Recharge: Mataranka Hot Springs Visit. Underground mine tour. Champagne sunset viewing of Uluru. Mala Walk and cultural centre visit (Uluru). Hikes at Kata Tjuta (the Olgas) and Kings Canyon. Wetland nature cruise in crocodile territory. Aboriginal art and craft centre visit. Guided exploration of Kakadu and Litchfield NPs. All transport between destinations and to/from included activities.
- Meals Included
- 12 breakfasts, 8 lunches, 6 dinners
- Hostels (7 nts), swag camping (6 nts), underground hostel (1 nt). All nts multi-share.
- Group Size Notes
- Max 20, avg 16
- Private vehicle, boat, walking.
Day 1 Adelaide
There are no planned activities during the day, so check in and explore the city. Opt to go for a cruise to swim with dolphins (seasonal), take the tram to Glenelg beach, visit a nearby winery, grab lunch at the Central Market, or enjoy time getting lost in the city.
Ever wanted to swim with wild dolphins? Now's your chance, by adding the 'Dolphin Swim and Cruise' extra to your tour. Head out from Adelaide and search for these majestic creatures, before hopping into the water and going for a swim as they play around you. Available mid-Sept to June.
PLEASE NOTE: If booking this extra, a pre-night in Adelaide is highly recommended as this activity starts early on Day 1.
Arrival Day and Welcome Meeting
Day 2 Adelaide/Quorn (1B)
Hit the road in the morning. Travel through the Clare Valley wine area, making a stop for a wine tasting to learn about the different grape varietals and the development of the vineyards in the area. Travel to the town of Quorn for the night.
Day 3 Quorn/Beltana (1B, 1L, 1D)
Take the day to explore the amazing scenery of Flinders Ranges.
Wilpena Pound Hike
Day 4 Beltana/William Creek (1B, 1L, 1D)
We follow the Oodnadatta Track, strewn with ruins of failed early settler activity, along the route of the equally unsuccessful original Ghan Railway route. Visit the dry salt lake of Lake Eyre.
Day 5 William Creek/Coober Pedy (1B)
Travel to the unique opal mining town of Coober Pedy, where people live underground to avoid the heat. A guided mine tour gives insight to the mining process and the importance of opal to the area. Overnight like the locals by sleeping in an underground hostel, a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
Guided Mine Tour
Day 6 Coober Pedy/Kings Creek (1B, 1D)
Take in the vastness of the Outback on a driving day, then bed down in a swag (padded canvas bedroll) around a campfire and sleep under the Outback sky.
Day 7 Kings Creek/Uluru (1B, 1L)
Enjoy the morning taking in the scenery or by going on an optional 4km walk through the gorges and valleys of Kings Canyon of Watarrka Natoinal Park.
Kings Canyon Hike
Uluru at Sunset
Day 8 Uluru (1B, 1L, 1D)
The next morning, awake before sunrise to do the Mala Walk around part of the base of Uluru (Ayers Rock) while learning its significance to the local Aboriginals. Visit the cultural centre to get a better understanding of the area.
Uluru Mala Walk
Aboriginal Cultural Centre Visit
Day 9 Uluru/Alice Springs (1B)
Take in the scenery around Uluru. Travel to the rock formations of Kata Tjuta (the Olgas) and, heat permitting, walk through the Valley of the Winds to explore the surrounding area. Travel to Alice Springs via the homestead of Erldunda and spend the night in a centrally-located hostel in Alice Springs.
Valley of the Winds Walk
Day 10 Alice Springs
Enjoy a free day to relax and explore Alice Springs.
Day 11 Alice Springs/Daly Waters (1L)
Take in the vastness of the Northern Territory and travel north via the Devils Marbles - giant red granite boulders that are a sacred site to Aboriginals. Finish the day at Daly Waters and grab a drink at the local Outback pub teeming with character.
We spend approx 12 hours on the road today, stopping off in Daly Waters for the night. Make sure to grab a drink or two at the famous local pub in this small Outback town.
Day 12 Daly Waters/Katherine (1B, 1D)
Continue north, stopping for a visit at the Mataranka Hot Springs before setting up camp in Katherine. Opt to walk the stunning Katherine Gorge or get adventurous with a helicopter flight over the gorge taking in the stunning scenery.
Availability of optional activities may change depending on the season.
Mataranka Hot Springs Visit
Day 13 Katherine/Kakadu National Park (1B, 1L, 1D)
Continue north, stopping at Edith Falls. Explore the waterfalls, swimming holes and trails of Kakadu National Park—a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The itinerary for this day varies depending on seasonal/weekly weather. We will visit slightly different attractions depending on the weather conditions.
Gunlom Falls Visit
Day 14 Kakadu National Park/Litchfield National Park (1B, 1L)
Continue exploring Kakadu NP, stopping off at sacred rock art galleries. Head towards Litchfield National Park, stopping for a nature cruise to try and spot crocs.
We overnight just outside of Kakadu NP. Depending on weather, sleep in a swag under the stars or a hut if raining.
Warradjan Aboriginal Cultural Centre Visit
Bowali Visitor Centre Visit
Ubirr Rock Art
Day 15 Litchfield National Park/Darwin (1B, 1L)
Tour Litchfield NP to encounter streams, rock formations and the impressive termite mounds. Tour ends in Darwin upon arrival in the evening.
Crocodile-Spotting Boat Cruise
Litchfield National Park Visit
Departure Day (Activities)
Other important information
- Dossier Disclaimer
- The information in this trip details document has been compiled with care and is provided in good faith. However it is subject to change, and does not form part of the contract between the client and the operator. The itinerary featured is correct at time of printing. It may differ slightly to the one in the brochure. Occasionally our itineraries change as we make improvements that stem from past travellers, comments and our own research. Sometimes it can be a small change like adding an extra meal along the itinerary. Sometimes the change may result in us altering the tour for the coming year. Ultimately, our goal is to provide you with the most rewarding experience. Please note that our brochure is usually released in November each year. If you have booked from the previous brochure you may find there have been some changes to the itinerary. VERY IMPORTANT: Please ensure that you print a final copy of your Trip Details to review a couple of days prior to travel, in case there have been changes that affect your plans.
- Important Notes
- 1. This tour combines with other G Adventures tours. As such, the staff and some travel companions on your tour may have previously been traveling together with G Adventures prior to Day 1 of your tour. Additionally, this tour is a combination of several G Adventures tours, and your CEO, fellow passengers or vehicle may change between the individual tour sections. 2. Please be aware that wifi and internet access is not as readily available in Australia as in other parts of the world. There are often additional charges to connect to the internet, and speeds may be slower than what you are used to. 3. Over public holidays in Australia and New Zealand (such as Christmas, New Years Day, Easter, and Anzac Day) there may be some limitations of services and disruptions to schedules. In general our tours still operate effectively over public holidays, but there may be closures of optional activities and restaurants, and slight itinerary adjustments in order to provide all tour inclusions.
- Medical Form
- Our small group adventures bring together people of all ages. It is very important you are aware that, as a minimum, an average level of fitness and mobility' is required to undertake our easiest programs. Travellers must be able to walk without the aid of another person, climb 3-4 flights of stairs, step on and off small boats, and carry their own luggage at a minimum. Travellers with a pre-existing medical condition are required to complete a short medical questionnaire, which must be signed by their physician. This is to ensure that travellers have the necessary fitness and mobility to comfortably complete their chosen trip. While our CEOs work hard to ensure that all our travellers are catered for equally, it is not their responsibility to help individuals who cannot complete the day's activities unaided. Please refer to the physical ratings in this Trip Details document for more information. The medical questionnaire can be found online at: .
Not included in the tour
- Meal Budget
- Local Flights
- Eating is a big part of traveling. Travelling with G Adventures you experience the vast array of wonderful food that is available out in the world. Generally meals are not included in the trip price when there is a choice of eating options, to give you the maximum flexibility in deciding where, what and with whom to eat. It also gives you more budgeting flexibility, though generally food is cheap. Our groups tend to eat together to enable you to taste a larger variety of dishes and enjoy each other's company. There is no obligation to do this though. Your CEO will be able to suggest favourite restaurants during your trip. Please note that most included breakfasts will consist of cereal, milk, bread and spreads, juice, tea and instant coffee. Having a simple breakfast together most days allows us the flexibility to get on the road early and get from point A to B all that much faster.
- Solo Travellers
- We believe solo travellers should not have to pay more to travel so our group trips are designed for shared accommodation and do not involve a single supplement. Single travellers joining group trips are paired in twin or multi-share accommodation with someone of the same sex for the duration of the trip. Some of our Independent trips are designed differently and solo travellers on these itineraries must pay the single trip price.
- About Accommodation
- Accommodation will be varied throughout your adventure. When camping on this tour, you will be provided with an Aussie 'swag'—a canvas bedroll with built-in padding and perfect for a night under the stars. Towels and soap are not always provided at overnight stops, so it's best to bring your own for bathing. Bathroom and showering facilities are shared and are very rarely en-suite. Multi-share accommodation, on a single-sex basis (typically 4-6 people per room), is very common in Australia and is the way you will be spending most of your nights. We have specifically chosen unique accommodations to give local flavour to your trip. COUPLES: Please note that due to the types of accommodation used in Australia, couples will likely be split into separate rooms where we use multi-share hostels. Pending availability, couples may be able to pay extra while on tour to have their own room in some destinations. PRE/POST ACCOMMODATION: If booking additional nights before or after your tour, accommodation will be multi-share on a mixed gender basis.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 27 February 2018 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Please quote deal number 3881214 when you call.