Ditch the tourist resorts of Cancún and embark on an authentic adventure that will take you from spectacular Mayan ruins to the cobblestoned streets of colonial towns and deep into the jungle of Mexico. Explore the ancient ruins at Chichén Itzá and Palenque and meet the descendants of those who built them in the vibrant streets and colourful markets of picturesque Mayan towns. Get your camera out—you're going to need it!
Your tour to Playa Del Carmen includes:
- G Adventures for Good: Posadas Mayas Homestay, San Juan La Laguna. Chichén Itzá guided tour. Mérida orientation walk. Palenque guided tour. Roberto Barrios waterfall visit. San Cristóbal de las Casas orientation walk. Lake Atitlán boat tour. Antigua orientation walk. Free time in Mérida and San Cristóbal de las Casas. All transport between destinations and to/from included activities.
- Meals Included
- 1 dinner
- Hotels (7 nts), jungle lodge (2 nts), homestay (1 nt).
- Group Size Notes
- Max 16, avg 12
- Public bus, private vehicle, boat.
Day 1 Playa del Carmen
As travellers arrive throughout the day, there are no planned activities until the welcome meeting in the evening.
Arrival Day and Welcome Meeting
Day 2 Playa del Carmen/Mérida
Depart Playa del Carmen and head to the famous Mayan ruins of Chichén Itzá for a guided tour. Spend time exploring this famous site, known for its huge stepped pyramids and elaborate stone carvings.
Continue on to Mérida, the capital of the Yucatán State, and take a short orientation walk. Also known as la ciudad blanca (the white city), Mérida offers the ideal opportunity to learn about Mexico’s fascinating mix of cultural influences.
Chichén Itzá Guided Tour
Private Vehicle (2.00-2.50 hours, 190km)
Private Vehicle (1.25-2.00 hours, 130km)
Day 3 Mérida
The area surrounding Mérida has tons to offer. Choose to visit nearby cenotes (water sink holes) in the town of Cuzamá. Inside, swim in the massive crystal-clear sinkholes. Transportation to the cenotes is half the fun, taking small wooden horse-drawn carts along old rail tracks.
Opt to visit ruins in Uxmal, ride the PUUC Route or go bird-watching. There's something for everyone.
Day 4 Mérida/Palenque
After a long day of travel, arrive to Palenque. Enjoy a 2-night stay inside the national park in a jungle lodge. The lodge is quite close to the town, the ruins and the museum and offers a restaurant and bar on the grounds.
First-class buses in Mexico have very strong air-conditioning. Bring a sweater.
First-class bus (9.00-10.00 hours, 620km)
Day 5 Palenque
Enjoy a guided tour of the Mayan ruins of Palenque. After, go for a swim in the pristine turquoise waters of Roberto Barrios waterfall.
Palenque Ruins Guided Tour
Roberto Barrios Waterfalls
Day 6 Palenque/San Cristóbal de Las Casas
Continue out of the jungle to San Crístóbal De Las Casas, located in a high mountain valley at 2110m (6921 ft). Enjoy an orientation walk of the city, known for its 16th century architecture.
Private Vehicle (8.00 hour(s), 220km)
Day 7 San Cristóbal de Las Casas
Opt to visit nearby indigenous Mayan villages to see their unique day-to-day life or journey to beautiful Sumidero Canyon for a relaxing boat ride.
Day 8 San Cristóbal de Las Casas/Panajachel
The first stop in Guatemala is on beautiful Lake Atitlán. Stay in Panajachel, a lakeshore town surrounded by spectacular volcanoes and small villages.
Border Crossing (Mexico - Guatemala)
Private Vehicle (10.00-12.00 hours, 380km)
Day 9 Panajachel/San Juan La Laguna (1D)
Embark on a boat ride across the lake before participating in a G Adventures-supported homestay with a local family. This area is known for stunning scenery and great shopping for Mayan handicrafts. Opt to bargain for colourful textiles and paintings at the lake's many villages.
Posadas Mayas Homestay
Boat (0.50-0.75 hours, 25km)
Day 10 Antigua
With so much to do in this charming colonial city, we highly recommend booking post accommodation. Optional activities for the area include a city tour, salsa dancing classes, a Guatemalan cooking class, or relaxing with a massage. Further afield you can rent bikes and ride through the hills, visit a macadamia nut farm or check out some nearby villages.
Boat (0.50-0.75 hours, 25km)
Private Vehicle (3.00-4.00 hours)
Day 11 Antigua Guatemala
We highly recommend booking post-accommodation to fully experience this charming city.
Guatemala City is a one hour transfer away. Your tour leader can help you to arrange a transfer from Antigua directly to the airport in Guatemala City, so you do not have to spend more time than necessary in Guatemala's capital.
Other important information
- Dossier Disclaimer
- The information in this trip details document has been compiled with care and is provided in good faith. However it is subject to change, and does not form part of the contract between the client and the operator. The itinerary featured is correct at time of printing. It may differ slightly to the one in the brochure. Occasionally our itineraries change as we make improvements that stem from past travellers, comments and our own research. Sometimes it can be a small change like adding an extra meal along the itinerary. Sometimes the change may result in us altering the tour for the coming year. Ultimately, our goal is to provide you with the most rewarding experience. Please note that our brochure is usually released in November each year. If you have booked from the previous brochure you may find there have been some changes to the itinerary. VERY IMPORTANT: Please ensure that you print a final copy of your Trip Details to review a couple of days prior to travel, in case there have been changes that affect your plans.
- Important Notes
- 1. When exiting Mexico by land you will be required to pay an exit fee of 500MXN, and to enter Guatemala the fee is 10 Quetzales, a total of just over 30 USD. These fees are not included in the cost of your trip and must be paid in local currency at the border. 2. The Guatemala City airport is only 1 hour from Antigua and there are frequent and inexpensive transfers directly to the airport from Antigua. 3. This tour combines with other G Adventures tours. As such, some staff and travel companions may be continuing together on another G Adventures tour, after your trip concludes.
- Medical Form
- Our small group adventures bring together people of all ages. It is very important you are aware that, as a minimum, an average level of fitness and mobility' is required to undertake our easiest programs. Travellers must be able to walk without the aid of another person, climb 3-4 flights of stairs, step on and off small boats, and carry their own luggage at a minimum. Travellers with a pre-existing medical condition are required to complete a short medical questionnaire, which must be signed by their physician. This is to ensure that travellers have the necessary fitness and mobility to comfortably complete their chosen trip. While our CEOs work hard to ensure that all our travellers are catered for equally, it is not their responsibility to help individuals who cannot complete the day's activities unaided. Please refer to the physical ratings in this Trip Details document for more information. The medical questionnaire can be found online at: .
Not included in the tour
- Meal Budget
- Local Flights
- Eating is a big part of traveling. Travelling with G Adventures you experience the vast array of wonderful food that is available out in the world. Generally meals are not included in the trip price when there is a choice of eating options, to give you the maximum flexibility in deciding where, what and with whom to eat. It also gives you more budgeting flexibility, though generally food is cheap. Our groups tend to eat together to enable you to taste a larger variety of dishes and enjoy each other's company. There is no obligation to do this though. Your CEO will be able to suggest favourite restaurants during your trip. The above information applies to G Adventures group trips. Please refer to the meals included and budget information for included meals and meal budgets.
- Solo Travellers
- We believe single travellers should not have to pay more to travel so our group trips are designed for shared accommodation and do not involve a single supplement. Single travellers joining group trips are paired in twin or multi-share accommodation with someone of the same sex for the duration of the trip. Some of our Independent trips are designed differently and single travellers on these itineraries must pay the single trip price.
- About Accommodation
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 27 June 2018 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Please quote deal number 3866065 when you call.