If you’re short on time but want to delve into the Yucatan, this wide-ranging itinerary in one of Mexico’s most fascinating regions is an authentic alternative to the mainstream. Snorkel Caribbean reefs and laze on beautiful white-sand beaches. Enter the world of the ancient Maya at Chichén Itzá and the incredible jungle ruins of Palenque. Your experienced Chief Experience Officer (CEO) will reveal the region’s hidden gems, taking the hassle out of travel so you can focus on ancient ruins and vibrant sites, or revel in a tranquil sunset from Playa del Carmen beaches.
Your tour to Playa Del Carmen includes:
- G Adventures for Good: El Hongo Mexican Community Restaurant & Youth Art Program, Playa del Carmen Carte Blanche: Mérida. Chichén Itzá guided tour. Mérida orientation walk. Palenque guided tour. Beach time in Bacalar. Free time in Mérida and Palenque. All transport between destinations and to/from included activities.
- Meals Included
- 1 dinner
- Hotels (8 nts).
- Group Size Notes
- Max 16, avg 12
- Public bus, private vehicle.
Day 1 Playa del Carmen
There are no planned activities until the evening welcome meeting.
Arrival Day and Welcome Meeting
Day 2 Playa del Carmen/Mérida
After a guided tour of the fantastic ruins at Chichén Itzá, continue on to Mérida for an orientation walk to get acquainted with the city.
With museums, plazas, beautiful architecture, open markets and outdoor cafés, there is plenty to keep you busy here.
Chichén Itzá Guided Tour
Private Vehicle (1.25-2.00 hours, 130km)
Private Vehicle (2.00-2.50 hours, 190km)
Day 3 Mérida
Opt to visit ruins of Uxmal, ride the PUUC Route, go bird-watching in Celestún, hit the beach in Progreso, visit cenotes in the nearby town of Cuzamá, or walk around town and soak in all of the history this city has to offer.
Day 4 Mérida/Palenque
Travel day to Palenque in the lush dense jungle of Chiapas.
First-class bus (9.00-10.00 hours, 620km)
Day 5 Palenque
Take a guided tour of the ruins of Palenque. Later, choose from one of the many optional activities in the area.
Palenque Ruins Guided Tour
Day 6 Palenque/Bacalar
Transfer to Bacalar and spend time on the beach looking out at the crystal-clear lake.
Private Vehicle (7.00-8.00 hours, 487km)
Day 7 Bacalar
Opt to kayak around the lagoon or explore the nearby fortress.
Day 8 Bacalar/Playa del Carmen (1D)
Head to Playa del Carmen, located on the beach just a 45-min drive south of Cancún. Enjoy some nightlife, buy last minute souvenirs and relax and swim in the Caribbean.
There is the opportunity for snorkelling and diving, as well as long stretches of sandy beaches which are perfect for walking and relaxing after a hectic day.
Just off the coast is the island of Cozumel, renowned for its world-class diving. Take the ferry from Playa del Carmen (30-75 minutes depending on the boat) across the turquoise waters and explore the town and the reefs of the island.
For a final dose of ruins, Tulúm is just a 45-min drive south of Playa.
El Hongo Mexican Community Restaurant & Youth Art Program
First-class bus (4.00-5.00 hours, 275km)
Day 9 Playa del Carmen
We recommend booking post-tour accommodation to fully explore the Playa del Carmen area. Ask your sales agent for help.
Other important information
- Dossier Disclaimer
- The information in this trip details document has been compiled with care and is provided in good faith. However it is subject to change, and does not form part of the contract between the client and the operator. The itinerary featured is correct at time of printing. It may differ slightly to the one in the brochure. Occasionally our itineraries change as we make improvements that stem from past travellers, comments and our own research. Sometimes it can be a small change like adding an extra meal along the itinerary. Sometimes the change may result in us altering the tour for the coming year. Ultimately, our goal is to provide you with the most rewarding experience. Please note that our brochure is usually released in November each year. If you have booked from the previous brochure you may find there have been some changes to the itinerary. VERY IMPORTANT: Please ensure that you print a final copy of your Trip Details to review a couple of days prior to travel, in case there have been changes that affect your plans.
- Important Notes
- Medical Form
- Our small group adventures bring together people of all ages. It is very important you are aware that, as a minimum, an average level of fitness and mobility' is required to undertake our easiest programs. Travellers must be able to walk without the aid of another person, climb 3-4 flights of stairs, step on and off small boats, and carry their own luggage at a minimum. Travellers with a pre-existing medical condition are required to complete a short medical questionnaire, which must be signed by their physician. This is to ensure that travellers have the necessary fitness and mobility to comfortably complete their chosen trip. While our CEOs work hard to ensure that all our travellers are catered for equally, it is not their responsibility to help individuals who cannot complete the day's activities unaided. Please refer to the physical ratings in this Trip Details document for more information. The medical questionnaire can be found online at: .
Not included in the tour
- Meal Budget
- Local Flights
- Eating is a big part of traveling. Travelling with G Adventures you experience the vast array of wonderful food that is available out in the world. Generally meals are not included in the trip price when there is a choice of eating options, to give you the maximum flexibility in deciding where, what and with whom to eat. It also gives you more budgeting flexibility, though generally food is cheap. Our groups tend to eat together to enable you to taste a larger variety of dishes and enjoy each other's company. There is no obligation to do this though. Your CEO will be able to suggest favourite restaurants during your trip. The above information applies to G Adventures group trips. For Independent trips please check the itinerary for details of meals included. For all trips please refer to the meals included and budget information for included meals and meal budgets.
- Solo Travellers
- We believe solo travellers should not have to pay more to travel so our group trips are designed for shared accommodation and do not involve a single supplement. Single travellers joining group trips are paired in twin or multi-share accommodation with someone of the same sex for the duration of the trip. Some of our Independent trips are designed differently and solo travellers on these itineraries must pay the single trip price.
- About Accommodation
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 28 September 2018 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Please quote deal number 3697943 when you call.