From San José, hit the beach and mountain retreats on your way to the locks of the world-famous Panama Canal at the centre of the Americas. Visit gorgeous islands and chill to reggae beats on Caribbean beaches. Search for the quetzal bird in cloud forests and shake your tailfeather in the clubs of Panama City. With your hotel and transport arranged by our CEOs, you can concentrate on choosing your own adventure.
Your tour to San Jose - Costa Rica includes:
- Beach time in Bocas del Toro and Santa Catalina. Panama City stay. All transport between destinations and to/from included activities.
- Meals Included
- No meals included
- Simple hotels/hostels (13 nts, most multi-share).
- Group Size Notes
- Max 18, avg 14.
- Local bus, boat, private vehicle, taxi, walking.
Day 1 San José
Arrive in at any time. Check into our hotel and enjoy the city. Please try to arrive before 6pm for an important group meeting where you can meet the Chief Experience Officer (CEO) and the other group members.
Arrival Day and Welcome Meeting
Day 2 San José/Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
There are several optional activities available: rent a bike or hire a boat to Manzanillo, hike to Monkey Point through the Gandoca - Manzanillo National Wildlife Refuge, or try snorkelling. Feeling lazy? Take it easy and explore La Isla Botanical Gardens.
Day 3 Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Rent a boogie board if the waves are calling, dance the night away to reggae and calypso, taste flavourful Afro-Caribbean cuisine, and succumb to the natural beauty of this tropical paradise.
Day 4 Puerto Viejo de Talamanca/Bocas del Toro
Crossing into Panama, travel by bus, foot, then a boat to arrive to the Archipelago of Bocas del Toro, which means the bull’s mouth. Enjoy free time while here to snorkel, scuba dive, or just relax on the beach.
Border Crossing (Costa Rica - Panama)
Days 5-6 Bocas del Toro
Enjoy free time to snorkel the blue Caribbean waters or look for red frogs at—where else?—Red Frog Beach.
Day 7 Bocas del Toro/Boquete
Back on the mainland, settle in for a long day of travel before arriving at the mountain town of Boquete. A plethora of outdoor options await, including hiking, whitewater rafting and touring a coffee plantation.
Day 8 Boquete
Opt to go whitewater rafting, tour a coffee plantation, or hike through the cloud forest.
Day 9 Boquete/Santa Catalina
This small, friendly, and laid-back town on the Pacific coast is the perfect place to wind down. Look up and see flocks of parrots as they soar the skies above the hills around Santa Catalina.
Santa Catalina is the closest access point to Coiba Island, part of the nation’s largest marine park, described as a cross between the Galapagos and Cocos Islands. Time and weather permitting, it may be possible to organize an optional boat trip to explore this marine park.
Days 10-11 Santa Catalina
Enjoy a lazy day at the beach. Opt to explore beautiful Coiba NP or take a surfing lesson.
Day 12 Santa Catalina/Panama City
Leave the beach and travel to Panama's capital. Enjoy an optional night out with the group, and save some energy for exploring various parts of the city.
Day 13 Panama City
Enjoy free time to explore the city or visit the Panama Canal.
Day 14 Panama City
Depart at any time.
Other important information
- Dossier Disclaimer
- The information in this trip details document has been compiled with care and is provided in good faith. However it is subject to change, and does not form part of the contract between the client and the operator. The itinerary featured is correct at time of printing. It may differ slightly to the one in the brochure. Occasionally our itineraries change as we make improvements that stem from past travellers, comments and our own research. Sometimes it can be a small change like adding an extra meal along the itinerary. Sometimes the change may result in us altering the tour for the coming year. Ultimately, our goal is to provide you with the most rewarding experience. Please note that our brochure is usually released in November each year. If you have booked from the previous brochure you may find there have been some changes to the itinerary. VERY IMPORTANT: Please ensure that you print a final copy of your Trip Details to review a couple of days prior to travel, in case there have been changes that affect your plans.
- Important Notes
- Costa Rica will not be allowing anyone to enter the country without proof of a departure ticket (bus, airplane, boat, etc.). If you are travelling through a few countries in Central America, you will need to show proof of your itinerary and a departure ticket from your last destination. Please print the itinerary and voucher and bring it with you. Please note that this tour combines with other G Adventures tours. As such, the staff and some travel companions on your tour may have previously been traveling together with G Adventures, prior to Day 1 of your tour.
- Medical Form
- Our small group adventures bring together people of all ages. It is very important you are aware that, as a minimum, an average level of fitness and mobility' is required to undertake our easiest programs. Travellers must be able to walk without the aid of another person, climb 3-4 flights of stairs, step on and off small boats, and carry their own luggage at a minimum. Travellers with a pre-existing medical condition are required to complete a short medical questionnaire, which must be signed by their physician. This is to ensure that travellers have the necessary fitness and mobility to comfortably complete their chosen trip. While our CEOs work hard to ensure that all our travellers are catered for equally, it is not their responsibility to help individuals who cannot complete the day's activities unaided. Please refer to the physical ratings in this Trip Details document for more information. The medical questionnaire can be found online at: .
Not included in the tour
- Meal Budget
- Local Flights
- Eating is a big part of traveling. Travelling with G Adventures you experience the vast array of wonderful food that is available out in the world. Generally meals are not included in the trip price when there is a choice of eating options, to give you the maximum flexibility in deciding where, what and with whom to eat. It also gives you more budgeting flexibility. Our groups tend to eat together to enable you to taste a larger variety of dishes and enjoy each other's company. There is no obligation to do this though. Your CEO will be able to suggest favourite restaurants during your trip. The above information applies to G Adventures group trips. For all trips please refer to the meals included and budget information for included meals and meal budgets.
- Solo Travellers
- We believe single travellers should not have to pay more to travel so our group trips are designed for shared accommodation and do not involve a single supplement. Single travellers joining group trips are paired in twin or multi-share accommodation with someone of the same sex for the duration of the trip. Some of our Independent trips are designed differently and single travellers on these itineraries must pay the single trip price.
- About Accommodation
- Accommodation will be varied throughout your adventure. Some nights we use multi-share accommodation, on a single-sex basis (typically 4-6 people per room). We have specifically chosen unique accommodations to give local flavour to your trip. Couples: Please note that due to the variety of accommodation used in Central America, couples will be split into separate rooms when we use multi-share hostels. Pending availability, couples may be able to pay extra while on tour to have their own room in some destinations.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 25 February 2018 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Please quote deal number 3697932 when you call.