Basic Costa Rica
Stay flexible in Costa Rica on this unique two-week adventure. You'll hit the volcanoes, a cloud forest, and both of the incredible coasts. Chill out on white-sand beaches and explore pristine wildlife reserves. Best of all, this trip gives you the flexibility to create the adventure of a lifetime, so you can soar across the treetops by zipline, rappel down a waterfall, or learn to surf the Pacific breaks. Take a trip that's packed with just the essentials – everything you need to explore the diversity and beauty of Costa Rica.
Your tour to San Jose - Costa Rica includes:
- Beach time in Puerto Viejo and Sámara. Free time in La Fortuna and Monteverde. All transport between destinations and to/from included activities.
- Meals Included
- No meals included
- Simple hotels/hostels (13 nts, some multi-share).
- Group Size Notes
- Max 18, avg 14.
- Local bus, boat, taxi, private vehicle, walking.
Day 1 San José
Arrive in San Jose at any time. There are no planned activities so check into our hotel and enjoy the city.
Arrival Day and Welcome Meeting
Day 2 San José/Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
We begin with an incredible bus ride over the mountains to the Caribbean coast. The picturesque village of Puerto Viejo de Talamanca’s white and black sand beaches are surrounded by exotic tropical vegetation.
Local bus (4.00-5.00 hours, 220km)
Days 3-4 Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Opt to go snorkelling in the Caribbean or hiking in Manzanillo National Wildlife Refuge.
Day 5 Puerto Viejo de Talamanca/La Fortuna
We travel north by bus through varied landscapes and arrive at La Fortuna, a small town near the foot of Arenal Volcano. La Fortuna is an excellent base for adventure. Hike the area’s nature trails, swim in chilly La Fortuna waterfall or go canyoneering (rappelling) and catch a bird’s eye view of the forest greenery. Natural hot springs are also in the area and perfect after a day of travel or exploration.
Local bus (3.50-4.00 hours)
Private Vehicle (2.50-3.50 hours)
Days 6-7 La Fortuna
Optional activities include full-day whitewater rafting on the Toro or Balsa Rivers, mountain biking, caving, horseback riding, or a tour of the Caño Negro Wildlife Refuge. Like much of Costa Rica, the area is a birders’ paradise, with over 600 species as permanent residents. Finally, after a long day of exploring, you can choose to take a relaxing soak at Baldi Hot Springs.
Day 8 La Fortuna/Monteverde
From the central valley, ascend to the Monteverde cloud forest region. Spend a couple of days exploring the town and a cloud forest reserve, truly a bird lover's paradise. This unique community has several cooperatives worth visiting including artist collectives and a cheese factory.
Local guides are extremely knowledgeable about the area and passionate about conservation of this precious ecosystem.
Optional activities include a walk along suspension bridges through dense forest, a coffee tour, or an adrenaline-filled zipline above the cloud forest on one of the many famous canopy tours.
Shared van (0.25 hour(s))
Boat (1.00 hour(s))
Shared van (3.50 hour(s))
Day 9 Monteverde
Free day to enjoy; opt to tour the cloud forest or visit a coffee plantation.
Day 10 Monteverde/Sámara
We travel to the coast of the Nicoya peninsula and arrive in Sámara, a cozy little beach town.
Private Vehicle (4.00 hour(s), 140km)
Days 11-12 Sámara
Fill your days with as much or as little as you like. Start off with an early yoga class or sleep in before setting off to explore nearby beaches in search of a perfect, tranquil spot for a day of relaxing along the beautiful Pacific coast.
For those who prefer to stay active, try your hand at surfing, fishing, snorkelling, or horseback riding along the beach. There is also a zip-line adventure tour through the tropical forest if you're looking to get a close-up view of monkeys, iguanas, and various other wildlife.
If you’d like to strengthen some of the Spanish skills you have picked up during your time in Costa Rica, try out some classes at the local Spanish school. At night, enjoy a delicious seafood dinner at one of the beachside restaurants or sip a cocktail as you watch the sun set and the town come alive.
Day 13 Sámara/San José
Return to San José for some last-minute shopping and a final night on the town.
Local bus (5.00-6.00 hours, 240km)
Day 14 San José
Depart at any time.
Other important information
- Dossier Disclaimer
- The information in this trip details document has been compiled with care and is provided in good faith. However it is subject to change, and does not form part of the contract between the client and the operator. The itinerary featured is correct at time of printing. It may differ slightly to the one in the brochure. Occasionally our itineraries change as we make improvements that stem from past travellers, comments and our own research. Sometimes it can be a small change like adding an extra meal along the itinerary. Sometimes the change may result in us altering the tour for the coming year. Ultimately, our goal is to provide you with the most rewarding experience. Please note that our brochure is usually released in November each year. If you have booked from the previous brochure you may find there have been some changes to the itinerary. VERY IMPORTANT: Please ensure that you print a final copy of your Trip Details to review a couple of days prior to travel, in case there have been changes that affect your plans.
- Important Notes
- Costa Rica will not be allowing anyone to enter the country without proof of a departure ticket (bus, airplane, boat, etc.). If you are travelling through a few countries in Central America, you will need to show proof of your itinerary and a departure ticket from your last destination. Please print the itinerary and voucher and bring it with you. Be prepared for rain and lower temperatures during the winter season (June-November), especially in Costa Rica's central valley. Looking to add to your experience? Check out our Theme Packs! Specially designed for travellers with unique interests, theme packs are optional add-ons to your G adventures trip that make your adventure more you-centric. Theme Packs must be booked prior to departure, please see details in our optional activities field and ask you sales CEO.
- Medical Form
- Our small group adventures bring together people of all ages. It is very important you are aware that, as a minimum, an average level of fitness and mobility' is required to undertake our easiest programs. Travellers must be able to walk without the aid of another person, climb 3-4 flights of stairs, step on and off small boats, and carry their own luggage at a minimum. Travellers with a pre-existing medical condition are required to complete a short medical questionnaire, which must be signed by their physician. This is to ensure that travellers have the necessary fitness and mobility to comfortably complete their chosen trip. While our CEOs work hard to ensure that all our travellers are catered for equally, it is not their responsibility to help individuals who cannot complete the day's activities unaided. Please refer to the physical ratings in this Trip Details document for more information. The medical questionnaire can be found online at: .
Not included in the tour
- Meal Budget
- Local Flights
- Eating is a big part of traveling. Travelling with G Adventures you experience the vast array of wonderful food that is available out in the world. Generally meals are not included in the trip price when there is a choice of eating options, to give you the maximum flexibility in deciding where, what and with whom to eat. It also gives you more budgeting flexibility, though generally food is cheap. Our groups tend to eat together to enable you to taste a larger variety of dishes and enjoy each other's company. There is no obligation to do this though. Your CEO will be able to suggest favourite restaurants during your trip. The above information applies to G Adventures group trips. For Independent trips please check the itinerary for details of meals included. For all trips please refer to the meals included and budget information for included meals and meal budgets.
- Solo Travellers
- We believe single travellers should not have to pay more to travel so our group trips are designed for shared accommodation and do not involve a single supplement. Single travellers joining group trips are paired in twin or multi-share accommodation with someone of the same sex for the duration of the trip. Some of our Independent trips are designed differently and single travellers on these itineraries must pay the single trip price.
- About Accommodation
- Accommodation will be varied throughout your adventure. We occasionally use multi-share accommodation, on a single-sex basis (typically 4-6 people per room). We have specifically chosen unique accommodations to give local flavour to your trip. Couples: Please note that due to the variety of accommodation used in Central America, couples will be split into separate rooms when we use the occasional multi-share hostels. Pending availability, couples may be able to pay extra while on tour to have their own room in some destinations.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 22 October 2017 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Please quote deal number 3697931 when you call.