Costa Rica on a Shoestring
Hit two of Costa Rica's famed features – volcanoes and beaches – on this exciting trip that isn't too hard on the wallet. Get the adrenaline pumping in La Fortuna, then travel to Santa Teresa and relax on the beach. While you're free to choose your own adventure with optional adrenaline-inducing activities like waterfall rappelling, your accommodation and transportation are included. Our expert CEOs will help you make the most of your time. Take a trip that's packed with just the essentials – eight days of maximum Costa Rica at minimum cost.
Your tour to San Jose - Costa Rica includes:
- Carte Blanche: La Fortuna. Beach time in Santa Teresa. Free time in La Fortuna. All transport between destinations and to/from included activities.
- Meals Included
- No meals included
- Simple hotels (3 nets), hostels (4 nts, multi-share).
- Group Size Notes
- Max 18, avg 14
- Local bus, ferry, taxi, walking.
Day 1 San José
Please try to arrive before 6pm for an important group meeting where you can meet the Chief Experience Officer (CEO) and the other group members.
Arrival Day and Welcome Meeting
Day 2 San José/La Fortuna
La Fortuna, the town near the foot of Arenal Volcano, is an excellent base for adventure. Optional activities in this area abound.
Hike the area’s nature trails, swim in chilly La Fortuna waterfall or go canyoneering (rappelling) and catch a bird’s eye view of the forest greenery. Other optional activities include full-day white water rafting on the Toro or Balsa Rivers, mountain biking, caving, horseback riding, or a tour of the Caño Negro Wildlife Refuge.
Taxi to bus station.
Local bus (3.00-5.00 hours, 150km)
Day 3 La Fortuna
Enjoy a full day in La Fortuna to relax or experience some of the many optional activities available.
Day 4 La Fortuna/Santa Teresa
Head to the Pacific coast for some much needed beach time and relaxation. Playa Santa Teresa and Malpais are small towns frequented by surfers. Opt to hit the waves, or visit Cabo Blanco Nature Reserve – take a hike to explore the area or check out the snorkelling at Secret Beach.
Local van (3.00 hour(s))
Private Vehicle (1.50 hour(s))
Days 5-6 Santa Teresa
Check out Cabo Blanco NP to spot some wildlife, hike to the nearby waterfall for a dip or a jump in the local swimming hole or simply lounge on the beach.
Take a day trip to the beautiful Isla Tortuga, where you can snorkel along a volcanic rock reef or check out the nearby surf havens of Mal Pais and Santa Teresa. Adrenaline junkies can take their pick of activities as well - surfing, ziplining, ATV, boogie boarding, horseback riding or scuba diving are all options. On the other hand, if relaxation is what you seek, opt for a yoga class or take a leisurely hike to search for orchids.
Day 7 Santa Teresa/San José
Squeeze in morning beach time before embarking on our journey back to the capital, San José. Arrive in the evening (approx 9pm) in time to shower and head out for a final night on the town.
Local bus (8.00 hour(s))
Day 8 San José
Depart at any time.
Other important information
- Dossier Disclaimer
- The information in this trip details document has been compiled with care and is provided in good faith. However it is subject to change, and does not form part of the contract between the client and the operator. The itinerary featured is correct at time of printing. It may differ slightly to the one in the brochure. Occasionally our itineraries change as we make improvements that stem from past travellers, comments and our own research. Sometimes it can be a small change like adding an extra meal along the itinerary. Sometimes the change may result in us altering the tour for the coming year. Ultimately, our goal is to provide you with the most rewarding experience. Please note that our brochure is usually released in November each year. If you have booked from the previous brochure you may find there have been some changes to the itinerary. VERY IMPORTANT: Please ensure that you print a final copy of your Trip Details to review a couple of days prior to travel, in case there have been changes that affect your plans.
- Important Notes
- Medical Form
- Our small group adventures bring together people of all ages. It is very important you are aware that, as a minimum, an average level of fitness and mobility' is required to undertake our easiest programs. Travellers must be able to walk without the aid of another person, climb 3-4 flights of stairs, step on and off small boats, and carry their own luggage at a minimum. Travellers with a pre-existing medical condition are required to complete a short medical questionnaire, which must be signed by their physician. This is to ensure that travellers have the necessary fitness and mobility to comfortably complete their chosen trip. While our CEOs work hard to ensure that all our travellers are catered for equally, it is not their responsibility to help individuals who cannot complete the day's activities unaided. Please refer to the physical ratings in this Trip Details document for more information. The medical questionnaire can be found online at: .
Not included in the tour
- Meal Budget
- Local Flights
- Eating is a big part of traveling. Travelling with G Adventures you experience the vast array of wonderful food that is available out in the world. Generally meals are not included in the trip price when there is a choice of eating options, to give you the maximum flexibility in deciding where, what and with whom to eat. It also gives you more budgeting flexibility, though generally food is cheap. Our groups tend to eat together to enable you to taste a larger variety of dishes and enjoy each other's company. There is no obligation to do this though. Your CEO will be able to suggest favourite restaurants during your trip.
- Solo Travellers
- We believe single travellers should not have to pay more to travel so our group trips are designed for shared accommodation and do not involve a single supplement. Single travellers joining group trips are paired in twin or multi-share accommodation with someone of the same sex for the duration of the trip. Some of our Independent trips are designed differently and single travellers on these itineraries must pay the single trip price.
- About Accommodation
- Accommodation will be varied throughout your adventure. Some nights we use multi-share accommodation, on a single-sex basis (typically 4-6 people per room). We have specifically chosen unique accommodations to give local flavour to your trip. Couples: Please note that due to the variety of accommodation used in Central America, couples will be split into separate rooms when we use multi-share hostels. Pending availability, couples may be able to pay extra while on tour to have their own room in some destinations.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 26 September 2018 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Please quote deal number 3697930 when you call.