Colombia - Lost City Trekking
Everyone wants to visit an undiscovered region before it becomes a hotbed of tourism. By trekking the "Ciudad Perdida" at Teyuna, that honour can definitely be attained. Sleep in hammocks among local communities while absorbing the unique culture of the area, then trek through lush jungles and across streams before arriving at the ruins of Teyuna. Explore the uncrowded ruins at leisure and marvel at what would have been here in years gone by. Say you got here first and had the Lost City all to yourself.
Your tour to Santa Marta includes:
- Trek to the Lost City with an indigenous guide (5 days). Guided tour of the Lost City. Transport between destinations and to/from included activities.
- Meals Included
- 5 breakfasts, 5 lunches, 4 dinners
- Hotels (2 nts), camping (4 nts in hammocks or rustic bunks).
- Group Size Notes
- Max 16, Avg 10
- 4x4, walking
Day 1 Santa Marta
Arrive at any time.
Day 2 Santa Marta/Adán Camp (1L, 1D)
Transfer to Machete Pelao, where the trek to the Lost City of Teyuna begins. Trek for 4-5 hrs each day through farmland, steamy jungle, and rural Kogi communities. Get a glimpse into the local way of life in the remote river valleys of the Sierra Nevada Mountains.
Lost City Trek Day 1
Day 3 Adán Camp/ Wiwa Camp (1B, 1L, 1D)
The route starts along the Buritaca River, taking you further into the vivid green jungle past small villages en route to the camp for the evening. After a long day of trekking, enjoy a refreshing dip in one of the natural swimming pools.
Lost City Trek Day 2
Day 4 Wiwa Camp /Teyuna Paraiso Camp (1B, 1L, 1D)
Continue trekking along the route to Ciudad Perdida. Today is a tough portion of the trek with a lot of steep inclines, make sure to rest and take in the beautiful views.
Lost City Trek Day 3
Day 5 Teyuna Paraiso Camp/ Wiwa Camp (1B, 1L, 1D)
Get started early to climb the 1,200 steps up to the Lost City. The view of the surrounding Sierra Nevada Mountains makes it well worth the hike. Explore the Lost City and learn what is known of its origins from the indigenous guide, before making the descent back to Wiwa Camp for the night.
Lost City Trek Day 4
Day 6 Wiwa Camp /Santa Marta (1B, 1L)
In the morning, take in your last views of the jungle as you trek back to Machete Pelao. Transfer to Santa Marta where the rest of the day is yours to relax.
Lost City Trek Day 5
Day 7 Santa Marta (1B)
Depart at any time.
Other important information
- Dossier Disclaimer
- Important Notes
- Please Note: The Lost City Trek is closed for the month of September each year in order to preserve the trail and complete general maintenance and upkeep. Hiking days are between 4-6 hours a day, and the highest altitude reached is 1,200 m (3,937 ft) at the Lost City itself. The humidity and the heat makes the trek challenging. Throughout the year the temperature is generally between 35-45 degrees, and there can be heavy rain and muddy conditions. Along the trek, you will be required to carry your own gear. We recommend not carrying more than is necessary for the route. One or two changes of clothes is enough to give you a change for each day on the trek. Please bring a bag that is sufficient in size to carry what you might need. It is possible to hire a mule to carry equipment for the trek, at a cost of 25USD per day. Dry season (December - March), the trail can be dry and dusty. When the rains arrive (April - November), the trail can be muddy and slippery underfoot. This also affects the numerous river crossings, as the rainy season brings higher rivers. This can mean that river crossings can be as high as waist height, so we recommend that you bring a dry bag or a plastic bag to cover your daypack as you might need to carry this above your head to keep it out of the river. As the majority of this trek is through the jungle, please be aware of the presence of mosquitos and other bugs. We highly recommend bringing some form of insect repellent. While the campsites have mosquito nets over the beds and hammocks, mosquitos can be unavoidable at times. A sleep sheet can help to prevent bug bites at night as well.
- Medical Form
- Our small group adventures bring together people of all ages. It is very important you are aware that an average level of fitness and mobility is required to undertake our easiest programs. Travellers must be able to walk without the aid of another person, climb 3-4 flights of stairs, step on and off small boats, and carry their own luggage at a minimum. Travellers with a pre-existing medical condition are required to complete a short medical questionnaire, which must be signed by their physician. This is to ensure that travellers have the necessary fitness and mobility to comfortably complete their chosen trip. While our leaders work hard to ensure that all our travellers are catered for equally, it is not their responsibility to help individuals who cannot complete the day's activities unaided. Please refer to the physical ratings in this Trip Details document for more information. Please note that all passengers traveling to Antarctica are required to fill out this questionnaire. The medical questionnaire can be found online at .
Not included in the tour
- Meal Budget
- Local Flights
- Eating is a big part of traveling. Travelling with G Adventures you experience the vast array of wonderful food that is available out in the world. On trek in Colombia the food is plentiful and designed to give you the best possible fuel to walk each day. Meals are prepared by a cook who accompanies each group on the hike. Typical breakfast includes juice, eggs, coffee or hot chocolate, fresh fruit. A common lunch would be chicken/fish with rice and juice. Dinner will usually include meat, chicken or fish, with rice, vegetables and a sweet or chocolate for dessert.
- Solo Travellers
- We believe solo travellers should not have to pay more to travel so our group trips are designed for shared accommodation and do not involve a single supplement. Single travellers joining group trips are paired in twin or multi-share accommodation with someone of the same sex for the duration of the trip. Some of our Independent trips are designed differently and solo travellers on these itineraries must pay the single trip price.
- About Accommodation
- Accommodation on the Lost City trek varies from day to day. In the campsites, the majority of the accommodation is in hammocks or bunks, with a mosquito net for cover. In the campsites, there are cold showers, flushing toilets and seating areas. Some of the campsites have lighting and power sockets, although these are not always guaranteed to be available. Because of the humidity, we do not suggest bringing a sleeping bag, as it would be too hot. Recommended is a sleeping sheet or a sleeping bag liner that can provide a level of comfort at higher temperatures.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 27 October 2017 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Please quote deal number 3626564 when you call.