The Ecuador Experience
If you want to sample the region’s highlights without sacrificing some of its lesser-known gems, there’s no better way to experience Ecuador's dramatic scenery and colourful people. Visit the Amazon and a shaman apprentice for an incredible introduction to indigenous culture of the jungle. Staying in simple hotels and homestays and using public transport will keep you grounded in the local customs and culture. We'll travel from the "Avenue of the Volcanoes" to relaxing Pacific beaches and mountain hot springs. This adventure offers up a great combination of must-see highlights and free time to explore on your own.
Your tour to Quito includes:
- Local Living: Amazon Jungle Experience, Tena Local Living: Indigenous Community Homestay, San Clemente. Train excursion to Devil's Nose. Machalilla NP stay. Otavalo Market visit. All transport between destinations and to/from included activities.
- Meals Included
- 6 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 4 dinners
- Simple hotels (12 nts), Amazon community stay (2 nts), overnight bus (1 nt), indigenous community homestay (2 nts, multi-share).
- Group Size Notes
- Max 16, avg 12
- Public bus, truck, train.
Day 1 Quito
There are no planned activities until the evening welcome meeting.
Arrival Day and Welcome Meeting
Day 2 Quito/Tena (1B)
Descend into the Amazon Jungle region. Watch the scenery change dramatically heading away from the mountains into the lush, tropical Amazon rainforest.
Day 3 Tena (1L, 1D)
Enjoy the hospitality of these wonderful people, and experience life in the jungle firsthand. Take guided hikes to learn about the natural environment and the traditional knowledge of the local people.
Amazon Jungle Experience
Day 4 Tena (1B, 1L, 1D)
Spend the day exploring the area around the Quichua community and learn more about local life in the jungle.
Day 5 Tena/Baños
Travel to Baños and enjoy the numerous outdoor optional activities available. Opt to go hiking, ziplining, or soak in the hot springs.
Day 6 Baños
Enjoy free time to experience all this adventurous town has to offer.
Day 7 Baños/Alausí
Travel to Alausí via Riobamba and take in the architecture of this local town.
Day 8 Alausí/Guayaquil
Enjoy Ecuador's most spectacular train journey. The famed Nariz del Diablo (Devil’s Nose) ride descends in a spectacular display of engineering around stunning mountain terrain. The journey returns back to Alausí after more than 1000m (3280 ft) in elevation loss.
After disembarking the train, journey south to Guayaquil, the largest city in Ecuador. Located at the mouth of the Guayas River, Guayaquil is also Ecuador's most important port.
Spend the evening exploring the city's highlights including Bolivar Park, the Old South Market, and Barrio de las Penas.
Take some time to stroll along the malecon (boardwalk) dotted with shops, restaurants, galleries, and museums. Opt for a boat ride down the Guayas River.
Devil's Nose Excursion
Day 9 Guayaquil/Puerto López
Enjoy Puerto Lopez. Optional activities in the area include a trip to Isla de la Plata, hiking in Machalilla National Park, a visit to an archaeological site, diving, and snorkelling.
Days 10-11 Puerto López
Other optional activities in the area include day trips to Isla de La Plata, with colonies of nesting blue-footed boobies and a number of other sea birds. Visitors usually come to view migrating whales (June to October) and dolphins around the island. Scuba diving and snorkelling are also popular activities in the area.
Day 12 Puerto López/Quito
Spend another full day in Puerto López before an overnight bus to Quito.
Day 13 Quito
Arrive in the morning and enjoy a free day in Quito. Opt to take a city tour, ride the cable car up the nearby volcano or relax in one of the city's many cafés and restaurants.
Day 14 Quito/San Clemente (1B, 1L, 1D)
Travel to the indigenous community of San Clemente. Interact with the locals and learn about their traditional ways during a homestay. Opt to enjoy a cultural evening and show with typical food.
Indigenous Community Homestay
Day 15 San Clemente (1B, 1L, 1D)
Spend a full day here with optional hikes to learn about the area's medicinal plants or trek up the Imbabura Mountain. Interact with the locals and learn about their traditions.
Indigenous Community Homestay
Day 16 San Clemente/Otavalo (1B)
Explore the largest handicrafts market in South America. Villagers from the surrounding countryside come here every week to sell handmade goods as well as livestock, fruits, and vegetables.
Otavalo Handicrafts Market Visit
Day 17 Otavalo/Quito
Explore some more before travelling back to Quito in the afternoon for one final night out in the capital city.
Day 18 Quito (1B)
Depart at any time.
Other important information
- Dossier Disclaimer
- The information in this trip details document has been compiled with care and is provided in good faith. However it is subject to change, and does not form part of the contract between the client and the operator. The itinerary featured is correct at time of printing. It may differ slightly to the one in the brochure. Occasionally our itineraries change as we make improvements that stem from past travellers, comments and our own research. Sometimes it can be a small change like adding an extra meal along the itinerary. Sometimes the change may result in us altering the tour for the coming year. Ultimately, our goal is to provide you with the most rewarding experience. Please note that our brochure is usually released in November each year. If you have booked from the previous brochure you may find there have been some changes to the itinerary. VERY IMPORTANT: Please ensure that you print a final copy of your Trip Details to review a couple of days prior to travel, in case there have been changes that affect your plans.
- Important Notes
- THE TURGURAHUA VOLCANO Please note this tour travels to Banos. The Tungurahua volcano in the area around Banos is constantly active. G Adventures have operated countless tours to the Banos area over the years without incident. However, we are obligated to point out that travel to the area is at your own risk, to exercise caution when travelling in the area. Further, we urge you to check your insurance coverage with your insurance provider prior to travel to the Banos area.
- Medical Form
- Our small group adventures bring together people of all ages. It is very important you are aware that, as a minimum, an average level of fitness and mobility' is required to undertake our easiest programs. Travellers must be able to walk without the aid of another person, climb 3-4 flights of stairs, step on and off small boats, and carry their own luggage at a minimum. Travellers with a pre-existing medical condition are required to complete a short medical questionnaire, which must be signed by their physician. This is to ensure that travellers have the necessary fitness and mobility to comfortably complete their chosen trip. While our CEOs work hard to ensure that all our travellers are catered for equally, it is not their responsibility to help individuals who cannot complete the day's activities unaided. Please refer to the physical ratings in this Trip Details document for more information. The medical questionnaire can be found online at: .
Not included in the tour
- Meal Budget
- Local Flights
- All local flights are included in the cost of your tour unless otherwise noted. It is important that we have your passport information at the time of booking in order to process these tickets. Internal flight tickets are issued locally and will be given to you prior to the flight departure.
- Eating is a big part of traveling. Travelling with G Adventures you experience the vast array of wonderful food that is available out in the world. Generally meals are not included in the trip price when there is a choice of eating options, to give you the maximum flexibility in deciding where, what and with whom to eat. It also gives you more budgeting flexibility, though generally food is cheap. Our groups tend to eat together to enable you to taste a larger variety of dishes and enjoy each other's company. There is no obligation to do this though. Your CEO will be able to suggest favourite restaurants during your trip. On truck trips in Africa, aboard the expedition ship Explorer or our Galapagos yachts, while trekking in remote regions etc. food is included, plentiful and made of fresh local ingredients. The above information applies to G Adventures group trips. For Independent trips please check the itinerary for details of meals included. For all trips please refer to the meals included and budget information for included meals and meal budgets.
- Solo Travellers
- We believe single travellers should not have to pay more to travel so our group trips are designed for shared accommodation and do not involve a single supplement. Single travellers joining group trips are paired in twin or multi-share accommodation with someone of the same sex for the duration of the trip. Some of our Independent trips are designed differently and single travellers on these itineraries must pay the single trip price.
- About Accommodation
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 01 March 2018 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Please quote deal number 3626498 when you call.