New Zealand–South Island Encompassed
Looking to tackle a bundle of different environments all in one go? New Zealand’s South Island has what you need and then some. Action is the common thread throughout this trip that incorporates hiking, cycling, and even bungee jumping across a variety of landscapes, including rainforests, glaciers, and some of the most gorgeous coastline you’ll ever see. This trip is exciting even when you’re not moving; accommodations include a seasonal floating boat hostel and a wilderness hostel deep in the rainforest itself. Unique? You bet.
Your tour to Wellington includes:
- Big Night Out: Wellington. Excursion to Abel Tasman NP. Seal colony visit. Walks in Abel Tasman NP, Fiordland NP, and Lake Matheson. Milford Sound day cruise. Cycling excursion (Central Otago). All transport between destinations and to/from included activities.
- Meals Included
- 15 breakfasts, 1 lunch, 4 dinners
- Hostels (10 nts), basic hotels (2 nts), basic lodges (3 nts). Most nights are multi-share.
- Group Size Notes
- Max 20, avg 16
- Private vehicle, boat, ferry, bicycle, walking.
Day 1 Wellington
There are no planned activities during the day, so check into the hotel and explore the city.
Check out New Zealand's National Museum, a must-see with great displays of historical Maori artifacts and relatively modern exhibits such as the motorbike that was built in a shed and won the world championships. Afterwards, opt for a night out on the town. Wellington has an abundance of nightlife, bars, cafes and restaurants all located on and around the entertainment district of Courtenay Place.
Arrival Day and Welcome Meeting
Big Night Out
Day 2 Wellington/Abel Tasman National Park (1B, 1D)
Catch a morning ferry and cross the scenic Cook Strait. Make sure to stand outside and enjoy the views of the Marlborough Sounds at the top of the South Island. Disembark and transfer to Abel Tasman National Park, well-known for its stunning white sand beaches. Board a water taxi to transfer to the middle of the National Park for the night. The night will be spent on a floating boat hostel.
During the winter season (May - Oct), and when there is inclement weather in the summer, we will stay in cabins in a true rural setting on the edge of the park instead of the floating boat hostel.
Private Vehicle (3.00 hour(s), 200km)
Water taxi (0.50 hour(s))
Ferry (3.50 hour(s), 92km)
Day 3 Abel Tasman National Park (1B)
Hike and explore Abel Tasman's golden beaches and waterways.
Abel Tasman National Park Walk
Day 4 Abel Tasman National Park/Westport (1B, 1D)
Head south down the coast of black-sand beaches. Visit a seal colony before travelling to Westport, the stop for the night.
Seal Colony Visit
Private Vehicle (4.50-5.00 hours, 270km)
Day 5 Westport/Franz Josef (1B, 1D)
Continue following the coastal road towards Franz Josef arriving at a unique wilderness lodge set in the rainforest for the night.
Pancake Rocks Trek
Private Vehicle (5.00-5.50 hours, 285km)
Day 6 Franz Josef (1B)
Free day for optional activities. Options include various hikes, horseback riding and quad biking.
Day 7 Franz Josef/Queenstown (1B)
Visit the adventure capital of the world—Queenstown.
Private Vehicle (8.00-9.00 hours, 365km)
Days 8-9 Queenstown
Free time in Queenstown. Get the heart pumping with some adrenaline-filled options, such as jet boating, bungee jumping, mountain biking or skydiving.
If you have pre-booked the Queenstown Jet Boating, your CEO will inform you when you will do the activity during your tour, as days are subject to change.
Please note - in the winter months (late April - early Nov) skiing and snowboarding in the Southern Alps is a highlight for any visitor. Most of the optional activities are also available, ask your CEO which ones are in season.
Day 10 Queenstown/Te Anau (1B, 1L)
Visit Fiordland National Park and enjoy a boat cruise through breathtaking Milford Sound. In the evening, opt to cruise across Lake Te Anau and visit a cave that is home to thousands of glowworms.
Fiordland National Park Visit
Milford Sound Cruise
Private Vehicle (4.50 hour(s))
Private Vehicle (2.00 hour(s), 120km)
Day 11 Te Anau/Central Otago (1B, 1D)
Enjoy free time in the morning to discover the natural beauty of Te Anau. Later, transfer to Wedderburn in Central Otago.
Private Vehicle (4.00-5.00 hours, 300km)
Day 12 Central Otago (1B)
Bike 35 km of the Otago Rail Trail, passing through one historic town to the next. Along the way sample some local food and drink.
Biking Otago Rail Trail
Day 13 Wedderburn/Christchurch (1B)
Overnight in the very unique converted jail house.
Private Vehicle (5.00 hour(s), 400km)
Day 14 Christchurch/Kaikoura (1B)
Spend the afternoon swimming with dolphins or taking a scenic flight over the peninsula.
Bird watchers will be pleased to know that big ocean birds such as albatrosses, petrels and shearwaters frequent the area.
Private Vehicle (2.50 hour(s))
Day 15 Kaikoura/Wellington (1B)
Travel to Picton to catch the ferry back to Wellington. Opt for a final night out with the group.
Private Vehicle (2.00 hour(s), 150km)
Ferry (3.00 hour(s), 92km)
Day 16 Wellington (1B)
We highly recommend post-accommodation to fully explore this vibrant city. Looking for a lift back to Auckland? Add on the "Auckland Express" and ride with your CEO back north. Ask your sales CEO or agent about this Extra.
What is the Auckland Express Extra? Depart Wellington at 6am and return to the Nomads Auckland hostel for around 5pm (8-9 hours driving time). If you have booked this transfer NOT on the last day of your tour, you must book post-accommodation through G Adventures. All services must be connected.
Other important information
- Dossier Disclaimer
- The information in this trip details document has been compiled with care and is provided in good faith. However it is subject to change, and does not form part of the contract between the client and the operator. The itinerary featured is correct at time of printing. It may differ slightly to the one in the brochure. Occasionally our itineraries change as we make improvements that stem from past travellers, comments and our own research. Sometimes it can be a small change like adding an extra meal along the itinerary. Sometimes the change may result in us altering the tour for the coming year. Ultimately, our goal is to provide you with the most rewarding experience. Please note that our brochure is usually released in November each year. If you have booked from the previous brochure you may find there have been some changes to the itinerary. VERY IMPORTANT: Please ensure that you print a final copy of your Trip Details to review a couple of days prior to travel, in case there have been changes that affect your plans.
- Important Notes
- 1. COMBO TRIP This tour combines with other G Adventures tours. As such, the staff and some travel companions on your tour may have previously been traveling together with G Adventures prior to Day one of your tour, and may change between individual tour sections. Likewise, some staff and travel companions may be continuing together on another G Adventures tour after your trip concludes. 2. WIFI Please be aware that wifi and internet access is not as readily available in New Zealand as in other parts of the world. There are often additional charges to connect to the internet, and speeds may be slower than what you are used to. 3) PUBLIC HOLIDAYS Over public holidays in Australia and New Zealand (such as Christmas, New Years Day, Easter, and Anzac Day) there may be some limitations of services and disruptions to schedules. In general our tours still operate effectively over public holidays, but there may be closures of optional activities and restaurants, and slight itinerary adjustments in order to provide all tour inclusions.
- Medical Form
- Our small group adventures bring together people of all ages. It is very important you are aware that, as a minimum, an average level of fitness and mobility' is required to undertake our easiest programs. Travellers must be able to walk without the aid of another person, climb 3-4 flights of stairs, step on and off small boats, and carry their own luggage at a minimum. Travellers with a pre-existing medical condition are required to complete a short medical questionnaire, which must be signed by their physician. This is to ensure that travellers have the necessary fitness and mobility to comfortably complete their chosen trip. While our CEOs work hard to ensure that all our travellers are catered for equally, it is not their responsibility to help individuals who cannot complete the day's activities unaided. Please refer to the physical ratings in this Trip Details document for more information. The medical questionnaire can be found online at: .
Not included in the tour
- Meal Budget
- Local Flights
- Eating is a big part of traveling. Travelling with G Adventures you experience the vast array of wonderful food that is available out in the world. Generally meals are not included in the trip price when there is a choice of eating options, to give you the maximum flexibility in deciding where, what and with whom to eat. It also gives you more budgeting flexibility, though generally food is cheap. Our groups tend to eat together to enable you to taste a larger variety of dishes and enjoy each other's company. There is no obligation to do this though. Your CEO will be able to suggest favourite restaurants during your trip. On truck trips in Africa, aboard the M/S Expedition or our Galapagos yachts, while trekking in remote regions etc. food is included, plentiful and made of fresh local ingredients. The above information applies to G Adventures group trips. For Independent trips please check the itinerary for details of meals included. For all trips please refer to the meals included and budget information for included meals and meal budgets.
- Solo Travellers
- We believe solo travellers should not have to pay more to travel so our group trips are designed for shared accommodation and do not involve a single supplement. Single travellers joining group trips are paired in twin or multi-share accommodation with someone of the same sex for the duration of the trip. Some of our Independent trips are designed differently and solo travellers on these itineraries must pay the single trip price.
- About Accommodation
- Multi-share accommodation, on a single-sex basis (typically 4-6 people per room), is very common in New Zealand and is the way you will be spending most of your nights. We have specifically chosen unique accommodations to give local flavour to your trip. Couples: Please note that due to the types of accommodation used in New Zealand, couples will likely be split into separate rooms where we use multi-share hostels. Pending availability, couples may be able to pay extra while on tour to have their own room in some destinations. Accommodation will be varied throughout your adventure. Towels and soap are not always provided at overnight stops, so it's best to bring your own for bathing. Bathroom and showering facilities are shared and are very rarely en-suite. PRE/POST ACCOMMODATION: If booking additional nights before or after your tour, accommodation will be multi-share on a mixed gender basis.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 26 June 2018 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Please quote deal number 3626475 when you call.