New Zealand–Best of the North Island
Admittedly, we haven’t checked the numbers too closely, but we’re confident that New Zealand ranks among the world’s leading producers of excitement. This quick trip across the North Island jams as many thrills as permissible by law into seven electrifying, activity-packed days. Sea kayak, learn to surf New Zealand's world-famous waves, experience Maori culture directly from the Maori themselves, and much more, all in a breezy week that always feels full and never hurried.
Your tour to Auckland includes:
- Hands-On: Surf Lessons, Raglan Big Night Out: Wellington. Conservation farm visit (Raglan). Sea kayaking excursion (Raglan). Maori cultural experience. Tongariro Alpine Crossing (seasonal). Orientation walk in Wellington. All transport between destinations and to/from included activities.
- Meals Included
- 6 breakfasts, 1 lunch, 2 dinners
- Hostels (2 nts), simple hotel (1 nt), basic lodges (3 nts). Most nights are multi-share.
- Group Size Notes
- Max 20, avg 16
- Private vehicle, kayak, walking
Day 1 Auckland
Arrive in Auckland at any time. There are no planned activities during the day, so check into the hotel and explore the city. If you arrive early enough, opt to visit the Maritime Museum, walk the waterfront, or even take the ferry to Waiheke Island.
Jump right into your adventure by adding the 'Auckland Sailing: America's Cup Experience' extra to your tour. Work with a crew to sail around Auckland's Waitemata Harbour on a competitive yacht, and take in the stunning views. PLEASE NOTE: If booking this extra, a pre-night in Auckland is highly recommended as this activity may start early in the morning on Day 1.
This tour departs Auckland early on Day 2. If you are interested in exploring the city and its nearby attractions, like the Hobbiton Movie Set or local wineries, it is recommended you book additional pre-trip accommodation nights.
Arrival Day and Welcome Meeting
Day 2 Auckland/Raglan (1B, 1L)
Travel backroads to a remote conservation farm where they are using natural means to boost the stocks of traditionally farmed marine life. Farmers have created a balanced ecosystem to attract native birds and animals back to the area.
After, kayak to a remote part of the harbour for a boat cruise and lunch, before heading to our lodge a few minutes drive from the famous surf and arts town of Raglan for the night.
Day 3 Raglan (1B, 1D)
Head down to the beach for an included surf lesson. The afternoon is open for optional activities such as yoga, mountain biking or exploring the many trails in the area.
Day 4 Raglan/Rotorua (1B)
Stop en route at Waitomo. Enjoy free time to visit the Waitomo Caves, famous for their glow-worms and adventure activities, or explore this scenic area by foot.
Continue to Rotorua for an engaging cultural experience on the grounds of a historic Maori village.
Maori Cultural Experience
Day 5 Rotorua/Tongariro National Park (1B, 1D)
Start early to walk the Tongariro Crossing, New Zealand's top-rated 1-day trek. Collect all your supplies before the hike – the transfer will drop the group off at the beginning of the self-guided trek and pick up everyone at the end.
After the trek, travel to a ski lodge on the side of a mountain for the night. An on-site spa and sauna is available to help ease tired muscles.
Please note that the Tongariro Alpine Crossing is self-guided and will be without a CEO. The trail is clearly marked. Please note that during winter months (June-October), this is an optional hike. There is an extra cost of approximately $135NZD for winter equipment and guide if you opt to do this activity.
Tongariro Alpine Crossing Trek
Day 6 Tongariro National Park/Wellington (1B)
Travel to Wellington, New Zealand's capital city. Arrive early enough for a visit to the National Museum, Te Papa.
Take a short walk from our accommodation to see the sights of the central business district. Finish the day off with an optional night on the town.
Te Papa Museum Visit
Big Night Out
Day 7 Wellington (1B)
Depart at any time. Looking for a lift back to Auckland? Add on the "Auckland Express" and ride with your CEO back north. Ask your sales CEO or agent about this Extra.
What is the Auckland Express Extra? Depart 6am and return to the Nomads Auckland hostel for around 5pm (8-9 hours driving time). If you have booked a transfer that is NOT on the last day of your tour, you must book post-accommodation through G Adventures. All services must be connected.
Other important information
- Dossier Disclaimer
- The information in this trip details document has been compiled with care and is provided in good faith. However it is subject to change, and does not form part of the contract between the client and the operator. The itinerary featured is correct at time of printing. It may differ slightly to the one in the brochure. Occasionally our itineraries change as we make improvements that stem from past travellers, comments and our own research. Sometimes it can be a small change like adding an extra meal along the itinerary. Sometimes the change may result in us altering the tour for the coming year. Ultimately, our goal is to provide you with the most rewarding experience. Please note that our brochure is usually released in November each year. If you have booked from the previous brochure you may find there have been some changes to the itinerary. VERY IMPORTANT: Please ensure that you print a final copy of your Trip Details to review a couple of days prior to travel, in case there have been changes that affect your plans.
- Important Notes
- 1. This tour combines with other G Adventures tours. As such, the staff and some travel companions on your tour may have previously been traveling together with G Adventures prior to Day 1 of your tour. Likewise, some staff and travel companions may be continuing together on another G Adventures tour after your trip concludes. 2. Please be aware that wifi and internet access is not as readily available in New Zealand as in other parts of the world. There are often additional charges to connect to the internet, and speeds may be slower than what you are used to.
- Medical Form
- Our small group adventures bring together people of all ages. It is very important you are aware that, as a minimum, an average level of fitness and mobility' is required to undertake our easiest programs. Travellers must be able to walk without the aid of another person, climb 3-4 flights of stairs, step on and off small boats, and carry their own luggage at a minimum. Travellers with a pre-existing medical condition are required to complete a short medical questionnaire, which must be signed by their physician. This is to ensure that travellers have the necessary fitness and mobility to comfortably complete their chosen trip. While our CEOs work hard to ensure that all our travellers are catered for equally, it is not their responsibility to help individuals who cannot complete the day's activities unaided. Please refer to the physical ratings in this Trip Details document for more information. The medical questionnaire can be found online at: .
Not included in the tour
- Meal Budget
- Local Flights
- Eating is a big part of traveling. Travelling with G Adventures you experience the vast array of wonderful food that is available out in the world. Generally meals are not included in the trip price when there is a choice of eating options, to give you the maximum flexibility in deciding where, what and with whom to eat. It also gives you more budgeting flexibility. Our groups tend to eat together to enable you to taste a larger variety of dishes and enjoy each other's company. There is no obligation to do this though. Your CEO will be able to suggest favourite restaurants during your trip. The above information applies to G Adventures group trips. For Independent trips please check the itinerary for details of meals included. For all trips please refer to the meals included and budget information for included meals and meal budgets. Please note that most included breakfasts will consist of cereal, milk, bread and spreads, juice, tea and instant coffee. Having a simple breakfast together most days allows us the flexibility to get on the road early and get from point A to B all that much faster.
- Solo Travellers
- We believe solo travellers should not have to pay more to travel so our group trips are designed for shared accommodation and do not involve a single supplement. Single travellers joining group trips are paired in twin or multi-share accommodation with someone of the same sex for the duration of the trip. Some of our Independent trips are designed differently and solo travellers on these itineraries must pay the single trip price.
- About Accommodation
- Multi-share accommodation, on a single-sex basis (typically 4-6 people per room), is very common in New Zealand and is the way you will be spending most of your nights. We have specifically chosen unique accommodations to give local flavour to your trip. Couples: Please note that due to the types of accommodation used in New Zealand, couples will likely be split into separate rooms where we use multi-share hostels. Pending availability, couples may be able to pay extra while on tour to have their own room in some destinations. Accommodation will be varied throughout your adventure. Towels and soap are not always provided at overnight stops, so it's best to bring your own for bathing. Bathroom and showering facilities are shared and are very rarely en-suite. PRE/POST ACCOMMODATION: If booking additional nights before or after your tour, accommodation will be multi-share on a mixed gender basis.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 18 December 2017 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Please quote deal number 3626471 when you call.