Music, Mountains & Monuments Eastbound
From the Big Easy to the Big Apple, this road trip swings north along the East Coast and captures the best cities, historical monuments, and beautiful scenery from New Orleans to New York and everything in between. Embrace big city beats, Nashville grooves, and the traditional twang of the Appalachian Mountains. As always, centrally-located hostels in the cities and campsites in the wilderness keep you in the heart of the action. Skip flying and discover country roots and the earthly delights that come with staying grounded.
Your tour to New Orleans includes:
- Carte Blanche: Washington D.C. Entrance fees to all national parks and national monuments with hiking and walking excursions. Orientation to Washington DC. Self-inflating mattresses and dome tents while camping. All transport between destinations and to/from included activities.
- Meals Included
- 6 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 2 dinners
- Hotel (1 nt), participation camping (5 nts).
- Group Size Notes
- Max 22, avg 16.
- Air-conditioned private vehicle, walking.
Day 1 New Orleans
For the night in New Orleans, we stay in a hotel close to the city centre with multi-share accommodation. If you would like to see all of the popular sites of this vibrant city, we recommend you book pre-tour accommodation.
Arrival Day and Welcome Meeting
Day 2 New Orleans/Memphis (1B, 1L)
Explore the birthplace of Rock 'n' Roll, the Home of Blues, and the starting point of soul. Music legends, including Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash and B.B. King, made their marks on Memphis. Optional activities include visiting the National Civil Rights Museum (located where the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr took place in 1968) or visiting the Rock ‘n’ Soul Museum.
Private Vehicle (8.00 hour(s), 640km)
Day 3 Memphis/Nashville (1B, 1L)
In the morning, opt to walk in the footsteps of the King of Rock ‘n’ Roll at Elvis Presley’s home, Graceland. If Graceland is not for you, enjoy the time to explore more of Memphis on your own. Travel to Nashville in time to check out the nightlife and visit a real country cowboy bar.
Private Vehicle (5.00 hour(s), 380km)
Day 4 Nashville/Appalachia (1B, 1L, 1D)
Experience the Appalachian Mountains on the drive. The mountains are a perfect place to relax and to enjoy the fresh, clean air and see the true beauty of North America.
Private Vehicle (8.00 hour(s), 575km)
Day 5 Appalachia/Washington D.C. (1B, 1L, 1D)
Continue on the Skyline Drive through Shenandoah National Park, a truly beautiful, historic national treasure. Standing on top of the peaks of Shenandoah National Park, gaze across the silent mountains. It's hard to believe Washington DC is just a short distance away.
Monuments by Moonlight
Private Vehicle (7.00 hour(s), 480km)
Day 6 Washington D.C. (1B)
There is so much to see and do in Washington DC that you can't see it all in one day. Take your time and spend a full day exploring this fascinating city.
Day 7 Washington D.C./New York (1B)
From the Statue of Liberty to Ground Zero to Chinatown, New York City is full of things to do and see. We recommend spending extra time here; please speak to your sales agent to book extra accommodation.
Please note this trip ends on arrival to New York. If you wish to spend the night in the city, speak to your sales agent about booking post-accommodation.
Departure Day (Activities)
Private Vehicle (6.00 hour(s), 375km)
Other important information
- Dossier Disclaimer
- The information in this trip details document has been compiled with care and is provided in good faith. However it is subject to change, and does not form part of the contract between the client and the operator. The itinerary featured is correct at time of printing. It may differ slightly to the one in the brochure. Occasionally our itineraries change as we make improvements that stem from past travellers, comments and our own research. Sometimes it can be a small change like adding an extra meal along the itinerary. Sometimes the change may result in us altering the tour for the coming year. Ultimately, our goal is to provide you with the most rewarding experience. Please note that our brochure is usually released in November each year. If you have booked from the previous brochure you may find there have been some changes to the itinerary. VERY IMPORTANT: Please ensure that you print a final copy of your Trip Details to review a couple of days prior to travel, in case there have been changes that affect your plans.
- Important Notes
- 1. An essential part of your trip is participation - from putting up your tent (while camping) or packing it away in the morning, to helping with meal preparation and cleaning up - it is all part of your adventure and when everyone puts in a little effort the trip will run smoothly. Your CEO will do all the meal planning, but we do ask the clients to help with the preparation and washing up. Team spirit is part of the fun! All camping equipment (with the exception of your sleeping bag and pillow) is supplied. We supply dome tents and assembly/disassembly takes only 5 minutes. All tents have built-in insect nets. Self-inflating mattresses are also provided, which are approximately 4cm thick, warm and comfortable. 2. Proper sleeping bags are necessary for this tour. Evening temperatures can reach -9°C - 0°C. Please ensure that your sleeping bag is rated to (-17°C for spring and fall trips and 0°C for trips June - Sept). If you prefer you can purchase a proper sleeping bag on the first day of the trip. Prices range from $40-$60USD. 3. In order to cover the vast distance in North America to be able to visit several different parks and cities along our trip, we will have a couple of long driving days. 4. All walks and hikes proposed by our CEO will be easy to moderate level. You may choose to participate or not, but exploring our national parks on foot is part of our way of travelling. It’s a healthy way to discover North America’s beauty and landscape. 5. Please note that some trips could be a combination of multiple G Adventure tours. You should expect some group members to join or leave the tour between tour segments. 6. Regarding our wi-fi equipped vehicles: we have limited bandwidth, and in the interests of allowing all travellers to access the wi-fi, travellers should limit their access to reasonable levels. Please note that wi-fi is not always available due to areas with limited or no cell phone service (e.g. in parts of national parks). 7. Please note that the legal drinking age in the United States is 21 and in Canada, 19 (with Alberta and Quebec at 18). Many bars and clubs will ask for ID at the door, therefore listening to live music in certain bars or spending a night out in Las Vegas or New Orleans is not possible when you are under the legal age, even if you don't plan on consuming alcohol. Drinking laws in both countries are strictly enforced and our CEOs are unable to help those under age obtain alcohol of any kind. While this should not stop those under legal drinking age from booking a tour, it is important to note that if a traveller is under-age there are certain optional nighttime activities that they may not legally be able to participate in. When trying to book the right trip, we recommend that travellers under legal drinking age take this into consideration when booking a tour that visits several big cities.
- Medical Form
- Our small group adventures bring together people of all ages. It is very important you are aware that, as a minimum, an average level of fitness and mobility' is required to undertake our easiest programs. Travellers must be able to walk without the aid of another person, climb 3-4 flights of stairs, step on and off small boats, and carry their own luggage at a minimum. Travellers with a pre-existing medical condition are required to complete a short medical questionnaire, which must be signed by their physician. This is to ensure that travellers have the necessary fitness and mobility to comfortably complete their chosen trip. While our CEOs work hard to ensure that all our travellers are catered for equally, it is not their responsibility to help individuals who cannot complete the day's activities unaided. Please refer to the physical ratings in this Trip Details document for more information. The medical questionnaire can be found online at: .
Not included in the tour
- Meal Budget
- Local Flights
- Most of the meals on this tour are included in the tour price. When a meal is not included, this is because there are often many options available - we would like to give you the opportunity to explore a bit and taste the local cuisine yourself. In these cases, your CEO will be able to suggest some good local restaurants or options for you to choose from. All included meals will be prepared from fresh local produce. The majority of the shopping for food will be done before the trip departs, and fresh goods, such as meats, fruits, vegetables, and dairy products, will be bought en route during the trip from supermarkets, local shops and markets. Breakfasts will generally consist of breads and cereals, if time allows a warm breakfast may be prepared. Many lunches will be provided en-route and will be light meals such as sandwiches and/or salads. All evening meals will be freshly-prepared hot meals, and will consist of a variety of continental and local dishes. Our CEO will organize the meal preparation and lead the way here, but will prepare a duty schedule for ensuring a fair, rotating participation from you and your group members in the meal preparation and dish washing duties. Vegetarian meals and other dietary requirements need to be specified prior to arrival.
- Solo Travellers
- We believe single travellers should not have to pay more to travel so our group trips are designed for shared accommodation and do not involve a single supplement. Single travellers joining group trips are paired in twin or multi-share accommodation with someone of the same sex for the duration of the trip. Some of our Independent trips are designed differently and single travellers on these itineraries must pay the single trip price.
- About Accommodation
- Accommodation will be varied throughout your adventure. We use a combination of hotels and hostels, but most of the nights on tour are spent camping in tents in public and private campgrounds. Multi-share accommodation, on a single-sex basis (typically 4-6 people per room), is common in the U.S. and is the way you will be spending your hostel nights. We have specifically chosen unique accommodations to give local flavor to your trip. Couples: Please note that due to the types of accommodation used in the U.S., couples will likely be split into separate rooms where we use multi-share hostels. Pending availability, couples may be able to pay extra while on tour to have their own room in some destinations. All camping equipment (with the exception of your sleeping bag and pillow) is supplied, including camp mattresses, which are warm and comfortable. We supply dome tents that take only 5 minutes to assemble/disassemble. They are good quality, durable, industry-standard 2-person pop-up tents, each with 2 separate and convenient zip-up doors and vestibules, so that each person has his/her own entrance. We use 2 types of campgrounds in North America: 1. Private campgrounds: These are privately run sites, usually with all services such as fire pits, picnic tables, drinking water, toilets & shower buildings. Some have small outdoor swimming pools and laundry facilities. These campgrounds are typically located near national park entrances or towns. 2. Public campgrounds: These are park-run sites, usually with basic facilities such as fire pits, picnic tables, and drinking water. In some cases, this type of campground doesn’t have showers, only pit toilets and a lake! In other locations, toilet and shower facilities may be located outside the campground, or at times in another location a drive away. Some may have shower fees for onsite facilities ($2-6/shower).
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 26 September 2018 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Please quote deal number 3626423 when you call.