Los Angeles to San Francisco Express
LA, San Francisco, Vegas, the Grand Canyon – they might as well rename this whole region "The American Best." Steel yourself for seven days of 24-hour thrills as you dive headfirst into the best the West has to offer. Scour the streets of classic American cities in search of the classic American meal – the venerable hamburger – then escape the grid to camp and explore in Yosemite and the Grand Canyon. Add in a streetwise CEO to keep you headed in the right direction, and you’re all set for a whirlwind adventure you won’t soon forget, if ever.
Your tour to Los Angeles includes:
- Entrance fees to all national parks with hiking and walking excursions. London Bridge visit (Lake Havasu). Sunset at the rim of the Grand Canyon. Death Valley visit. Self-inflating mattresses and dome tents. All transport between destinations and to/from included activities.
- Meals Included
- 4 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 4 dinners
- Hotels/hostels (2 nts, some multi-share), participation camping (4 nts).
- Group Size Notes
- Max 22, avg 16.
- Air-conditioned private vehicle, walking
Day 1 Los Angeles
Enjoy free time in Santa Monica, where the hostel is located, and check out the famous pier or hit the beach. Consider booking pre-tour accommodation if you'd like to see all of the popular sights in the area.
Arrival Day and Welcome Meeting
Day 2 Los Angeles/Lake Havasu (1D)
Be on celebrity-watch while passing by a few popular sites on the way out of California's most glamourous city. Hike among the boulders and famous Joshua trees, then cool off in the crystal-clear waters of the Colorado River at Lake Havasu.
Joshua Tree NP Hike
Private Van with Wi-fi
Day 3 Lake Havasu/Grand Canyon (1B, 1L, 1D)
In the morning, discover something unexpected, the London Bridge, in Lake Havasu City. Continue across vast desert landscapes to one of the earth's greatest on-going geological spectacles: the Grand Canyon. Take short hikes at the most spectacular gorge in the world and enjoy a pizza dinner at the rim as you view the stunning sunset.
London Bridge Visit
Grand Canyon South Rim Visit
Private Van with Wi-fi
Day 4 Grand Canyon/Las Vegas (1B)
For our night in Las Vegas, we stay close to the action in a hotel in the city centre.
Vegas Strip Visit
Includes stops along Route 66.
Private Van with Wi-fi
Day 5 Las Vegas/Sierra Nevadas (1L, 1D)
Visit a land of extremes in Death Valley National Park.
Death Valley National Park Visit
Private Van with Wi-fi
Day 6 Sierra Nevadas/Yosemite National Park (1B, 1L, 1D)
With a keen eye, you may be lucky enough to spot black bears, deer or coyotes.
We intend to use the Tioga Pass, a scenic a route through the Sierra Nevada mountain range that connects Bishop with Yosemite NP. In the spring and autumn seasons, there's a chance the pass will be closed due to poor weather conditions or even snow. In this case, we use an alternate route, and spend the night in Lake Isabella instead of Bishop. The status of the road is monitored daily, and our travel plan for the area will be confirmed during the trip.
Yosemite National Park Visit
Private Van with Wi-fi
Day 7 Yosemite National Park/San Francisco (1B, 1L)
There's a lot to see and do in San Francisco, and we recommend spending extra time here if you'd like to explore the city; speak to your sales agent to book extra accommodation. Haight-Ashbury, Alcatraz, the Golden Gate Bridge, Fisherman's Wharf and the city's famous cable cars await you.
If you are departing on arrival to San Francisco, you will not have enough time to participate in the Sunset Sailing extra. Post-tour accommodation is required to purchase this extra.
Departure Day (Activities)
Private Van with Wi-fi
Other important information
- Dossier Disclaimer
- The information in this trip details document has been compiled with care and is provided in good faith. However it is subject to change, and does not form part of the contract between the client and the operator. The itinerary featured is correct at time of printing. It may differ slightly to the one in the brochure. Occasionally our itineraries change as we make improvements that stem from past travellers, comments and our own research. Sometimes it can be a small change like adding an extra meal along the itinerary. Sometimes the change may result in us altering the tour for the coming year. Ultimately, our goal is to provide you with the most rewarding experience. Please note that our brochure is usually released in November each year. If you have booked from the previous brochure you may find there have been some changes to the itinerary. VERY IMPORTANT: Please ensure that you print a final copy of your Trip Details to review a couple of days prior to travel, in case there have been changes that affect your plans.
- Important Notes
- 1. An essential part of your trip is participation - from putting up your tent (while camping) or packing it away in the morning, to helping with meal preparation and cleaning up - it is all part of your adventure and when everyone puts in a little effort the trip will run smoothly. Your CEO will do all the meal planning, but we do ask the clients to help with the preparation and washing up. Team spirit is part of the fun! All camping equipment (with the exception of your sleeping bag and pillow) is supplied. We supply dome tents and assembly/disassembly takes only 5 minutes. All tents have built-in insect nets. Self-inflating mattresses are also provided, which are approximately 4cm thick, warm and comfortable. 2. Proper sleeping bags are necessary for this tour. Evening temperatures can reach -9°C - 0°C. Please ensure that your sleeping bag is rated to (-17°C for spring and fall trips and 0°C for trips June - Sept). If you prefer you can purchase a proper sleeping bag on the first day of the trip. Prices range from $40-$60USD. 3. In order to cover the vast distance in North America to be able to visit several different parks and cities along our trip, we will have a couple of long driving days. 4. All walks and hikes proposed by our CEO will be easy to moderate level. You may choose to participate or not, but exploring our national parks on foot is part of our way of travelling. It’s a healthy way to discover North America’s beauty and landscape. 5. Tioga Pass is a route through the Sierra Nevada mountain range of California on the eastern edge of Yosemite National Park, and we travel through the pass en route. In the the spring and autumn seasons, there's a chance that the pass will be closed due to poor weather conditions or even snow. In such a case, we use an alternate route. The status of the road is monitored daily, and our travel plan for the area will be confirmed during the trip. 6. Please note that some trips could be a combination of multiple G Adventure tours. You should expect some group members to join or leave the tour between tour segments. 7. The American west is generally known for warm weather, but temperatures do vary significantly in the mountain and desert areas especially. The day time temperature could exceed 30 C, while the night time temperatures do regularly decrease to single digits, or even possible below freezing. Please be prepared for such extreme conditions. 8. Regarding our wi-fi equipped vehicles: we have limited bandwidth, and in the interests of allowing all travellers to access the wi-fi, travellers should limit their access to reasonable levels. Please note that wi-fi is not always available due to areas with limited or no cell phone service (e.g. in parts of national parks). 9. Please note that the legal drinking age in the United States is 21 and in Canada, 19 (with Alberta and Quebec at 18). Many bars and clubs will ask for ID at the door, therefore listening to live music in certain bars or spending a night out in Las Vegas or New Orleans is not possible when you are under the legal age, even if you don't plan on consuming alcohol. Drinking laws in both countries are strictly enforced and our CEOs are unable to help those under age obtain alcohol of any kind. While this should not stop those under legal drinking age from booking a tour, it is important to note that if a traveller is under-age there are certain optional nighttime activities that they may not legally be able to participate in. When trying to book the right trip, we recommend that travellers under legal drinking age take this into consideration when booking a tour that visits several big cities.
- Medical Form
- Our small group adventures bring together people of all ages. It is very important you are aware that, as a minimum, an average level of fitness and mobility' is required to undertake our easiest programs. Travellers must be able to walk without the aid of another person, climb 3-4 flights of stairs, step on and off small boats, and carry their own luggage at a minimum. Travellers with a pre-existing medical condition are required to complete a short medical questionnaire, which must be signed by their physician. This is to ensure that travellers have the necessary fitness and mobility to comfortably complete their chosen trip. While our CEOs work hard to ensure that all our travellers are catered for equally, it is not their responsibility to help individuals who cannot complete the day's activities unaided. Please refer to the physical ratings in this Trip Details document for more information. The medical questionnaire can be found online at: .
Not included in the tour
- Meal Budget
- Local Flights
- Most of the meals on this tour are included in the tour price. When a meal is not included, this is because there are often many options available - we would like to give you the opportunity to explore a bit and taste the local cuisine yourself. In these cases, your CEO will be able to suggest some good local restaurants or options for you to choose from. All included meals will be prepared from fresh local produce. The majority of the shopping for food will be done before the trip departs, and fresh goods, such as meats, fruits, vegetables, and dairy products, will be bought en route during the trip from supermarkets, local shops and markets. Breakfasts will generally consist of breads and cereals, if time allows a warm breakfast may be prepared. Many lunches will be provided en-route and will be light meals such as sandwiches and/or salads. All evening meals will be freshly-prepared hot meals, and will consist of a variety of continental and local dishes. Our CEO will organize the meal preparation and lead the way here, but will prepare a duty schedule for ensuring a fair, rotating participation from you and your group members in the meal preparation and dish washing duties. Vegetarian meals and other dietary requirements need to be specified prior to arrival.
- Solo Travellers
- We believe single travellers should not have to pay more to travel so our group trips are designed for shared accommodation and do not involve a single supplement. Single travellers joining group trips are paired in twin or multi-share accommodation with someone of the same sex for the duration of the trip. Some of our Independent trips are designed differently and single travellers on these itineraries must pay the single trip price.
- About Accommodation
- Accommodation will be varied throughout your adventure. We use a combination of hotels and hostels, but most of the nights on tour are spent camping in tents in public and private campgrounds. Multi-share accommodation, on a single-sex basis (typically 4-6 people per room), is common in the U.S. and is the way you will be spending your hostel nights. We have specifically chosen unique accommodations to give local flavor to your trip. Couples: Please note that due to the types of accommodation used in the U.S., couples will likely be split into separate rooms where we use multi-share hostels. Pending availability, couples may be able to pay extra while on tour to have their own room in some destinations. All camping equipment (with the exception of your sleeping bag and pillow) is supplied, including camp mattresses, which are warm and comfortable. We supply dome tents that take only 5 minutes to assemble/disassemble. They are good quality, durable, industry-standard 2-person pop-up tents, each with 2 separate and convenient zip-up doors and vestibules, so that each person has his/her own entrance. We use 2 types of campgrounds in North America: 1. Private campgrounds: These are privately run sites, usually with all services such as fire pits, picnic tables, drinking water, toilets & shower buildings. Some have small outdoor swimming pools and laundry facilities. These campgrounds are typically located near national park entrances or towns. 2. Public campgrounds: These are park-run sites, usually with basic facilities such as fire pits, picnic tables, and drinking water. In some cases, this type of campground doesn’t have showers, only pit toilets and a lake! In other locations, toilet and shower facilities may be located outside the campground, or at times in another location a drive away. Some may have shower fees for onsite facilities ($2-6/shower).
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 24 February 2018 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Please quote deal number 3626408 when you call.