Inland & Amazon
From the heights of the Andes to the heat of the Amazon Rainforest, experience an incredible land of contrasts on this 16-day journey through Ecuador. Explore the jungle by canoe and stay with a local Quichua family for an extraordinary cultural experience you'll never forget. Scour the market at Otavalo for special treasures and cure what ails you in a mountain hot spring. With its unique variety of accommodation and insight into rural life in the jungle, this is more than just a tour—it's a once-in-a-lifetime adventure.
Your tour to Quito includes:
- Recharge: Papallacta Hot Springs Visit, Papallacta Local Living: Amazon Jungle Experience, Tena. Amazon Jungle lodge stay with guided walks and wildlife-spotting (2 nts). Ingapirca ruins stop. Orientation walk of Cuenca. Historic hacienda overnight stay. Otavalo visit. Internal flight. All transport between destinations and to/from included activities.
- Meals Included
- 15 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 4 dinners
- Hotels (9 nts), jungle lodge (2 nts), simple village cabañas (2 nts, multi-share), historic mountain hacienda (2 nts).
- Group Size Notes
- Max 16, avg 12
- Public bus, plane, taxis, motorized canoe, private van, 4x4 vehicles, pickup truck.
Day 1 Quito
There are no planned activities before an evening welcome meeting.
Booking pre- or post-trip accommodation is highly recommended to fully experience the city and take advantage of the many optional activities available.
Arrival Day and Welcome Meeting
Day 2 Quito/Papallacta (1B)
Take a local bus through the heights of the Andes en route to the Amazon. Stop for the night in Papallacta and relax in the natural mineral hot pools.
Papallacta Hot Springs Visit
Day 3 Papallacta/Tena (1B, 1D)
Descend into the Amazon Jungle region. Notice the scenery change dramatically heading from the mountains into the lush, tropical Amazon rainforest.
Stay with a Quichua family enjoying the hospitality of these wonderful people, and experience life in the jungle firsthand.
Optional activities include visiting an animal rescue centre, caving, and whitewater rafting.
Amazon Jungle Experience
Day 4 Tena (1B, 1L, 1D)
Spend a full day in the Amazon learning about life at a homestay. Enjoy cooking demonstrations and hiking to nearby waterfalls.
Amazon Jungle Experience
Day 5 Tena (1B, 1L, 1D)
Travel to a jungle lodge located on the Napo River, one of the Amazon’s two major tributaries.
Explore by foot and canoe to learn about the natural history of this area. There is also an option for an exhilarating whitewater rafting trip on the Napo.
Please note: wildlife viewing in this part of the jungle is limited for a number of reasons. This visit is more a cultural learning experience.
Day 6 Tena (1B, 1L, 1D)
Spend another day exploring the area.
Day 7 Tena/Baños (1B)
Travel to Baños and enjoy numerous outdoor optional activities available like hiking, horseback riding, mountain biking or soaking in the hot springs.
Day 8 Baños (1B)
Enjoy free time to experience all this adventurous town has to offer.
Day 9 Baños (1B)
Enjoy another free day to experience all this adventurous town has to offer.
Day 10 Baños/Cuenca (1B)
Travel along the 'Avenue of Volcanoes', through Ecuador's central valley of mountains to the colonial town of Cuenca. Enjoy a full day trip with spectacular views along the way, stopping at the Inca ruins of Ingapirca — the largest and best-preserved archaeological site in Ecuador.
Explore the city’s sights, including cobblestoned streets, red-tiled roofs, art galleries, flower markets, shady plazas, and museums.
Day Trip to Ingapirca Ruins
Day 11 Cuenca (1B)
Enjoy a free day to explore. Opt for a city tour or go hiking in Cajas National Park.
Day 12 Cuenca/Cayambe (1B)
Fly back to Quito and continue on to Cayambe. Spend the night in a 400-year-old hacienda at the base of a volcano.
Day 13 Cayambe/Otavalo (1B)
Travel to Otavalo. Optional activities include visits to Peguche Waterfall or the Cotacachi leather market, or a hike around Cuicocha Lake.
Day 14 Otavalo (1B)
Explore the largest handicraft market in South America. Villagers from the surrounding countryside come every week to sell handmade goods as well as livestock, fruits, and vegetables.
Otavalo Handicrafts Market Visit
Day 15 Otavalo/Quito (1B)
Enjoy a free day to explore Quito, with the options to visit the Basilica or explore the old town. Enjoy the last evening in this energetic city.
Day 16 Quito (1B)
We recommend booking pre- or post-accommodation to fully explore this charming city.
Other important information
- Dossier Disclaimer
- The information in this trip details document has been compiled with care and is provided in good faith. However it is subject to change, and does not form part of the contract between the client and the operator. The itinerary featured is correct at time of printing. It may differ slightly to the one in the brochure. Occasionally our itineraries change as we make improvements that stem from past travellers, comments and our own research. Sometimes it can be a small change like adding an extra meal along the itinerary. Sometimes the change may result in us altering the tour for the coming year. Ultimately, our goal is to provide you with the most rewarding experience. Please note that our brochure is usually released in November each year. If you have booked from the previous brochure you may find there have been some changes to the itinerary. VERY IMPORTANT: Please ensure that you print a final copy of your Trip Details to review a couple of days prior to travel, in case there have been changes that affect your plans.
- Important Notes
- 1. COMBO TRIP Please note that this tour combines with other G Adventures tours. As such, the staff and some travel companions on your tour may have previously been traveling together with G Adventures, prior to Day 1 of your tour. Likewise, some staff and travel companions may be continuing together on another G Adventures tour, after your trip concludes. 2. THE TUNGURAHUA VOLCANO Please note this tour travels to Banos. The Tungurahua volcano in the area around Banos is constantly active. G Adventures have operated countless tours to the Banos area over the years without incident. However, we are obligated to point out that travel to the area is at your own risk, to exercise caution when travelling in the area. Further, we urge you to check your insurance coverage with your insurance provider prior to travel to the Banos area. 3. All travellers are required to pay the tax on domestic flights in Ecuador. Foreign travellers are exempt form this, and proving you are indeed a foreign traveller can be done by providing us with your international ticket number (ITN). Travellers who do not submit international ticket numbers at least 30 days prior to Day 1 of their tour will be required to pay the domestic tax on all included flights.
- Medical Form
- Our small group adventures bring together people of all ages. It is very important you are aware that, as a minimum, an average level of fitness and mobility' is required to undertake our easiest programs. Travellers must be able to walk without the aid of another person, climb 3-4 flights of stairs, step on and off small boats, and carry their own luggage at a minimum. Travellers with a pre-existing medical condition are required to complete a short medical questionnaire, which must be signed by their physician. This is to ensure that travellers have the necessary fitness and mobility to comfortably complete their chosen trip. While our CEOs work hard to ensure that all our travellers are catered for equally, it is not their responsibility to help individuals who cannot complete the day's activities unaided. Please refer to the physical ratings in this Trip Details document for more information. The medical questionnaire can be found online at: .
Not included in the tour
- Meal Budget
- Local Flights
- All local flights are included in the cost of your tour unless otherwise noted. It is important that we have your passport information at the time of booking in order to process these tickets. Internal flight tickets are issued locally and will be given to you prior to the flight departure.
- Eating is a big part of traveling. G Adventures understands the importance of breakfast to start your day, we strive to include a basic breakfast wherever possible. A typical breakfast may include toast, coffee and tea, however this may vary depending on the city. Should breakfast not be included, your CEO can suggest some local options. Travelling with G Adventures you experience the vast array of wonderful food that is available out in the world. Generally meals are not included in the trip price when there is a choice of eating options, to give you the maximum flexibility in deciding where, what and with whom to eat. It also gives you more budgeting flexibility, though generally food is cheap. Our groups tend to eat together to enable you to taste a larger variety of dishes and enjoy each other's company. There is no obligation to do this though. Your CEO will be able to suggest favourite restaurants during your trip. For all trips please refer to the meals included and budget information for included meals and meal budgets.
- Solo Travellers
- We believe single travellers should not have to pay more to travel so our group trips are designed for shared accommodation and do not involve a single supplement. Single travellers joining group trips are paired in twin or multi-share accommodation with someone of the same sex for the duration of the trip. Some of our Independent trips are designed differently and single travellers on these itineraries must pay the single trip price.
- About Accommodation
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 01 March 2018 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Please quote deal number 3626324 when you call.