Egypt on a Shoestring
This compact adventure offers maximum Egypt at minimum cost. Stare in amazement at the pyramids and float down the Nile on a felucca. Embrace the culture and meet remarkable people as you dine on traditional fare with a local family in a Nubian village. You'll enjoy basic accommodation and transport to the best sights. Walk through the Valley of the Kings or explore Karnak – it's your call. Don't just dream of Egypt, wake up in the "Land of the Pharaohs" and open your eyes to adventure.
Your tour to Cairo includes:
- Local Living: Felucca Sail to Nubian Village with Traditional Meal, Aswan. Guided tour of the Pyramids of Giza and the Sphinx. Orientation walk through Cairo's Khan el-Khalili bazaar. Free time in Aswan. Felucca Overnight Sailing Excursion including support boat. Kom Ombo Temple visit. Free time in Luxor. All transport between destinations and to/from included activities.
- Meals Included
- 7 breakfasts, 1 lunch, 4 dinners
- Simple hotels (4 nts), overnight seater-train (2 nts), felucca with support boat for toilet/showers (1 nt)
- Group Size Notes
- Max 18, avg 12.
- Private air-con van, train, felucca, walking
Day 1 Cairo
Arrive at any time.
If this is your first visit to Cairo, we highly recommend that you book an airport transfer through your sales agent.
We do not visit the Egyptian Museum on this tour, so if you arrive early, you may want to consider checking it out. With over 10,000 pieces from every period of Egyptian history, including the treasures from the tomb of Tutankhamun, it is worth a visit if you're interested in archaeology.
Your tipping kitty will be collected at the welcome meeting (please refer to the "tipping" section of the trip notes for more information).
Arrival Day and Welcome Meeting
Day 2 Cairo/Aswan (1B, 1D)
For lunch, why not go local with a couple of falafel sandwiches, or take the chance to find out what kushari tastes like?
After breakfast, we will check out of our hotel and store our luggage in our vehicle, ready to head to the station to catch tonight's overnight train later in the evening. Looking to up the comfort level on your ride? Pre-book a sleeper bed upgrade.
Great Pyramids of Giza and Sphinx Tour
Khan el-Khalili Bazaar Orientation Walk
Overnight train (airplane seats) (12.00 hour(s))
Day 3 Aswan (1B, 1D)
Free morning to explore Aswan. Opt to wander through the souk at your own pace, take a guided tour of the city, or visit the famous Philae Temple, it's your choice.
In the afternoon, board a felucca and sail down the Nile. Visit a Nubian village and enjoy a home-cooked dinner with locals.
Our train is due to arrive in Aswan early in the morning, but, as ever, we should be prepared for "Egypt time"!
Felucca Sail to Nubian Village with Traditional Meal
Day 4 Aswan (1B)
Spend another day exploring Aswan. Opt to visit one of the most fascinating sights in the area, the Temple of Abu Simbel. Or continue exploring the city, including the modern Nubian Museum to learn more about Aswan's local people.
If you have purchased the Temple of Abu Simbel Overland Theme Pack, you will visit the temple today. Leaving Aswan at around 4am, you travel deep into the desert to the site of these enormous temples, on the shores of Lake Nasser. You can spend around 2 hours at the temples and then return to Aswan by about 12pm. The round trip drive is around 5-6 hrs.
Day 5 Aswan/Kom Ombo (1B, 1L, 1D)
Sail the Nile on a felucca with a support boat. Sleep on board under the stars.
Felucca Overnight Sailing Excursion
Day 6 Kom Ombo/Luxor (1B)
Visit Kom Ombo Temple on the way to Luxor. Opt to visit Karnak Temple or discover Luxor at your own pace. Choose from taking a horse and carriage ride, to checking out the local bazaar, or visiting the Mummification Museum. The choice is yours!
Kom Ombo Temple Visit
Private Vehicle (4.00 hour(s))
Day 7 Luxor/Cairo (1B, 1D)
Enjoy a free time to explore Luxor before an overnight train back to Cairo.
If you have pre-booked the Valley of the Kings Hot Air Balloon Ride you will be flying today. Looking to up the comfort level on your ride? Pre-book a sleeper bed upgrade.
Overnight train (airplane seats) (9.50 hour(s))
Day 8 Cairo (1B)
Tour ends upon arrival.
Our tour finishes on arrival at Cairo train station. Please be aware that delays on overnight trains do quite often occur, so please do not book any onward flights before mid-afternoon today.
We are able to organise extra post-trip accommodation if you wish to extend your stay for a few more days. Please ask at the time of booking.
Departure Day (Activities)
Other important information
- Dossier Disclaimer
- The information in this trip details document has been compiled with care and is provided in good faith. However it is subject to change, and does not form part of the contract between the client and the operator. The itinerary featured is correct at time of printing. It may differ slightly to the one in the brochure. Occasionally our itineraries change as we make improvements that stem from past travellers, comments and our own research. Sometimes it can be a small change like adding an extra meal along the itinerary. Sometimes the change may result in us altering the tour for the coming year. Ultimately, our goal is to provide you with the most rewarding experience. Please note that our brochure is usually released in November each year. If you have booked from the previous brochure you may find there have been some changes to the itinerary. VERY IMPORTANT: Please ensure that you print a final copy of your Trip Details to review a couple of days prior to travel, in case there have been changes that affect your plans.
- Important Notes
- 1. EXCURSION RECOMMENDATIONS If you arrive a day or two early in Cairo and wish to do some excursions, we recommend that you wait until you get to the joining hotel and contact our local staff for more information on available tours and excursions. Tourists are frequently over-charged for excursions bought from vendors on the street or at the airport. 2. TRAVEL DAYS Please be aware that there are some long driving days on this tour. You can refer to the detailed trip itinerary for more information on estimated travel times. Please note that any times mentioned are approximations only to give you an idea of the journey lengths and the actual time taken will depend on factors such as public transport timetables and road conditions. A mix of private and public transport is used throughout this trip. 3. RAMADAN According to the lunar cycle, Ramadan will fall between May 15th and June 14th, 2018. Please note that Ramadan is a month of fasting observed by Muslims throughout the world, during which time the followers of Islam should not eat or drink between sunrise and sunset. There may be some limitations to services and disruptions to schedules during Ramadan, but generally our tours still operate effectively during this period and food is available to non-Muslims throughout the day. It is very important to display increased cultural sensitivity during Ramadan. Please wear loose fitting clothes, that cover knees and shoulders, and try to avoid eating, drinking or smoking in public out of respect for those who can't at that time. 4. MONEY US Dollars that are series 1996 or earlier are not accepted and very difficult to change in regions of East and Southern Africa, as there are a lot of forgeries in circulation. 5. FELUCCAS ON THE NILE Feluccas are very basic traditional Nile sailboats and make for an extremely relaxing and enjoyable way to travel down the river. You sleep on the deck of the boat (mattresses and blankets are provided, but if you prefer something between you and the blankets, you will need a sleep sheet/sleeping bag liner of your own). Please note that the Felucca itself does not have toilets or showers, however we will have access to a private support boat, travelling in close proximity to our Felucca. This support boat is equipped with toilets and a shower (please bring a towel) and an area to eat your meals, leaving you stress free to enjoy this tranquil and traditional experience on the Nile. Feluccas are traditional wind-driven sailing craft, and therefore subject to the unpredictability of wind, weather and river traffic conditions on the Nile. We will do our best to follow published itineraries, but they must be considered tentative in all cases. We reserve the right to modify or cancel any sailing itinerary as conditions warrant. In case of insufficient wind, weather danger or difficult river traffic conditions on the Nile or through the Nile locks, we reserve the right to transport passengers between some sites by motor vehicle on land, in order to be able to keep up with the itinerary. 6. EXTRAS Looking to add to your experience? Check out our Extras! Specially designed for travellers with unique interests, theme packs are optional add-ons to your G adventures trip that make your adventure more you-centric. Extras must be booked prior to departure, please see details in our optional activities field and ask you sales CEO. Please note, an Assumption of Risk is to be signed at the time of confirming your tour.
- Medical Form
- Our small group adventures bring together people of all ages. It is very important you are aware that, as a minimum, an average level of fitness and mobility' is required to undertake our easiest programs. Travellers must be able to walk without the aid of another person, climb 3-4 flights of stairs, step on and off small boats, and carry their own luggage at a minimum. Travellers with a pre-existing medical condition are required to complete a short medical questionnaire, which must be signed by their physician. This is to ensure that travellers have the necessary fitness and mobility to comfortably complete their chosen trip. While our CEOs work hard to ensure that all our travellers are catered for equally, it is not their responsibility to help individuals who cannot complete the day's activities unaided. Please refer to the physical ratings in this Trip Details document for more information. The medical questionnaire can be found online at: .
Not included in the tour
- Meal Budget
- Local Flights
- Eating is a big part of traveling. Travelling with G Adventures you experience the vast array of wonderful food that is available out in the world. Generally meals are not included in the trip price when there is a choice of eating options, to give you the maximum flexibility in deciding where, what and with whom to eat. It also gives you more budgeting flexibility, though generally food is cheap. Our groups tend to eat together to enable you to taste a larger variety of dishes and enjoy each other's company. There is no obligation to do this though. Your CEO will be able to suggest favourite restaurants during your trip. The above information applies to G Adventures group trips. For Independent trips please check the itinerary for details of meals included. For all trips please refer to the meals included and budget information for included meals and meal budgets.
- Solo Travellers
- We believe single travellers should not have to pay more to travel so our group trips are designed for shared accommodation and do not involve a single supplement. Single travellers joining group trips are paired in twin or multi-share accommodation with someone of the same sex for the duration of the trip. Some of our Independent trips are designed differently and single travellers on these itineraries must pay the single trip price.
- About Accommodation
- This trip has a "Basic" Service Level grading. The accommodation is clean and centrally located but very, very simple. Your room will have an en suite bathroom, air conditioning and a simple breakfast will be provided. Please note that accommodation on the overnight trains are in comfortable airplane-style seating. Shared toilet facilities are at the end of each carriage. A simple “airline style” dinner is provided, but most guests prefer to eat before boarding the train. Non-alcoholic drinks are available to purchase, and there is a bar car for socializing. Passengers have the option to pre-book a sleeper-cabin upgrade for the duration of both train rides through G Adventures. Sleeper-cabin beds convert into seats when not in use and luggage is stored under the bottom bunk. Bedding is provided and there is a small wash basin with soap and a towel provided. Feluccas are very basic traditional Nile sailboats and make for an extremely relaxing and enjoyable way to travel down the river. You sleep on the deck of the boat (mattresses and blankets are provided, but if you prefer something between you and the blankets, you will need a sleep sheet/sleeping bag liner of your own). Please note that the Felucca itself does not have toilets or showers, however we will have access to a private support boat, travelling in close proximity to our Felucca. This support boat is equipped with toilets and a shower (please bring a towel) and an area to eat your meals, leaving you stress free to enjoy this tranquil and traditional experience on the Nile.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 25 October 2017 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Please quote deal number 3626255 when you call.