Best of Egypt
This journey through Egypt packs in awe-inspiring culture and adventure in eight energetic days. Explore the ancient sites along the Nile and discover the most famous of them all, the Great Pyramids of Giza. Embrace the culture and meet remarkable people as you sample some traditional fare with a Nubian family in a local village. Feel the buzz of vibrant bazaars in Aswan and Luxor, but still manage to relax and watch life unfold as you sail the Nile in a traditional felucca.
Your tour to Cairo includes:
- Local Living: Felucca Sail to Nubian Village with Traditional Meal, Aswān Carte Blanche: Aswān Local Living: Lunch with a Local Family, Luxor. Pyramids of Giza and Sphinx guided tour. Egyptian Museum guided tour. Felucca overnight sailing excursion with support boat. Karnak and Kom Ombo temples guided tour. Temple of Hatshepsut and Valley of the Kings guided visit. Colossi of Memnon visit. All entrance fees to included monuments. Internal flights. All transport between destinations and to/from included activities.
- Meals Included
- 7 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 3 dinners
- Simple hotels (5 nts), sleeper train (1 nt), felucca with support boat for toilet/showers (1 nt).
- Group Size Notes
- Max 15, avg 12
- Private air-conditioned van, train, felucca, plane, walking.
Day 1 Cairo
There are no planned activities until an evening welcome meeting.
If this is your first visit to Cairo, we highly recommend that you book an airport transfer.
Arrival Day and Welcome Meeting
Day 2 Cairo/Aswān (1B, 1D)
Head straight to the pyramids and soak in the history of these majestic structures. Later, visit the Egyptian Museum to see more ancient artifacts.
In the evening, board an overnight train to Aswan. The overnight train is a modern air-conditioned sleeper, with twin-berth beds. There is no shower in the cabin, but each cabin does have a sink. The shared toilet is at the end of each carriage. A basic airline-style tray meal for dinner and breakfast is included. Attendants can serve drinks in your compartment at extra cost or there is a bar car for socializing.
Great Pyramids of Giza and Sphinx Tour
Egyptian Museum Visit
Overnight train (beds) (12.00 hour(s))
Day 3 Aswān (1B, 1D)
Our train is due to arrive in Aswan early in the morning, but, trains can often be delayed. Enjoy some free time in the morning to browse the souk or walk along the Nile.
Later, board a felucca (local boat) to reach Elephantine Island and visit a Nubian village. Walk around the small community, then enjoy a traditional dinner at a local home.
Felucca Sail to Nubian Village with Traditional Meal
Day 4 Aswān (1B)
One of the most fascinating sights in the area is the Temple of Abu Simbel. Later, opt for a half-day tour of the Unfinished Obelisk, High Dam, and Philae Temple. Visit the modern Nubian Museum to learn more about Aswan's local people.
Day 5 Aswān/Kom Ombo (1B, 1L, 1D)
Board the felucca and spend the rest of the day out on the river and a night under the stars.
Feluccas are a basic, traditional Nile sailboat and make for an extremely relaxing and enjoyable way to travel down the river. You sleep, open-air on the deck of the boat (mattresses and blankets are provided, but if you prefer something between you and the blankets, you will need to bring a sleep sheet/sleeping bag liner of your own). The Felucca itself does not have toilets or showers, however we will have access to a private support boat, travelling in close proximity to our Felucca. This support boat is equipped with toilets and a shower (please bring a towel) and and an area to eat your meals, leaving you stress free to enjoy this tranquil and traditional experience on the Nile.
Felucca Overnight Sailing Excursion
Day 6 Kom Ombo/Luxor (1B)
Enjoy a guided visit Kom Ombo Temple before driving to Luxor. En route, visit the Temple of Karnak.
Kom Ombo Temple Visit
Karnak Temple Visit
Stop en route to visit the Karnak Temple.
Private Vehicle (4.00 hour(s))
Day 7 Luxor (1B, 1L)
Cross to the West Bank. Visit the massive 18m (59ft)-high Colossi of Memnon, which is all that remains of an ancient temple. Descend down the narrow corridors and check out the tombs of the pharaohs at the Valley of the Kings. The Funerary Temple of Queen Hatshepsut literally seems to rise out of the surrounding limestone outcrops.
Enjoy lunch with a local family on the West bank of the Nile and then explore Luxor at your own pace.
Colossi of Memnon Visit
Valley of the Kings, Temple of Hatshepsut, and Colossi of Memnon Visit
Lunch with a Local Family
Day 8 Luxor/Cairo (1B)
We highly recommend booking pre- or post-accommodation to fully explore this vibrant city.
Our tour finishes on arrival in Cairo. Please be aware that flight delays do quite often occur, so please do not book any onward flights before 2pm today.
We are able to organize extra post-trip accommodation if you wish to extend your stay for a few more days. Please ask at the time of booking.
Plane (1.00 hour(s))
Other important information
- Dossier Disclaimer
- The information in this trip details document has been compiled with care and is provided in good faith. However it is subject to change, and does not form part of the contract between the client and the operator. The itinerary featured is correct at time of printing. It may differ slightly to the one in the brochure. Occasionally our itineraries change as we make improvements that stem from past travellers, comments and our own research. Sometimes it can be a small change like adding an extra meal along the itinerary. Sometimes the change may result in us altering the tour for the coming year. Ultimately, our goal is to provide you with the most rewarding experience. Please note that our brochure is usually released in November each year. If you have booked from the previous brochure you may find there have been some changes to the itinerary. VERY IMPORTANT: Please ensure that you print a final copy of your Trip Details to review a couple of days prior to travel, in case there have been changes that affect your plans.
- Important Notes
- 1. EXCURSION RECOMMENDATIONS If you arrive a day or two early in Cairo and wish to do some excursions, we recommend that you wait until you get to the joining hotel and contact our local staff for more information on available tours and excursions. Tourists are frequently over-charged for excursions bought from vendors on the street or at the airport. 2. TRAVEL DAYS Please be aware that there are some long driving days on this tour. You can refer to the detailed trip itinerary for more information on estimated travel times. Please note that any times mentioned are approximations only to give you an idea of the journey lengths and the actual time taken will depend on factors such as public transport timetables and road conditions. A mix of private and public transport is used throughout this trip. 3. RAMADAN According to the lunar cycle, Ramadan will fall between May 15th and June 14th, 2018. Please note that Ramadan is a month of fasting observed by Muslims throughout the world, during which time the followers of Islam should not eat or drink between sunrise and sunset. There may be some limitations to services and disruptions to schedules during Ramadan, but generally our tours still operate effectively during this period and food is available to non-Muslims throughout the day. It is very important to display increased cultural sensitivity during Ramadan. Please wear loose fitting clothes, that cover knees and shoulders, and try to avoid eating, drinking or smoking in public out of respect for those who can't at that time. 4. MONEY US Dollars that are series 1996 or earlier are not accepted and very difficult to change in regions of East and Southern Africa, as there are a lot of forgeries in circulation. 5. FELUCCAS ON THE NILE Feluccas are very basic traditional Nile sailboats and make for an extremely relaxing and enjoyable way to travel down the river. You sleep on the deck of the boat (mattresses and blankets are provided, but if you prefer something between you and the blankets, you will need a sleep sheet/sleeping bag liner of your own). Please note that the Felucca itself does not have toilets or showers, however we will have access to a private support boat, travelling in close proximity to our Felucca. This support boat is equipped with toilets and a shower (please bring a towel) and an area to eat your meals, leaving you stress free to enjoy this tranquil and traditional experience on the Nile. Feluccas are traditional wind-driven sailing craft, and therefore subject to the unpredictability of wind, weather and river traffic conditions on the Nile. We will do our best to follow published itineraries, but they must be considered tentative in all cases. We reserve the right to modify or cancel any sailing itinerary as conditions warrant. In case of insufficient wind, weather danger or difficult river traffic conditions on the Nile or through the Nile locks, we reserve the right to transport passengers between some sites by motor vehicle on land, in order to be able to keep up with the itinerary. 6. EXTRAS Looking to add to your experience? Check out our Extras! Specially designed for travellers with unique interests, theme packs are optional add-ons to your G adventures trip that make your adventure more you-centric. Extras must be booked prior to departure, please see details in our optional activities field and ask you sales CEO. Please note, an Assumption of Risk is to be signed at the time of confirming your tour.
- Medical Form
- Our small group adventures bring together people of all ages. It is very important you are aware that, as a minimum, an average level of fitness and mobility' is required to undertake our easiest programs. Travellers must be able to walk without the aid of another person, climb 3-4 flights of stairs, step on and off small boats, and carry their own luggage at a minimum. Travellers with a pre-existing medical condition are required to complete a short medical questionnaire, which must be signed by their physician. This is to ensure that travellers have the necessary fitness and mobility to comfortably complete their chosen trip. While our CEOs work hard to ensure that all our travellers are catered for equally, it is not their responsibility to help individuals who cannot complete the day's activities unaided. Please refer to the physical ratings in this Trip Details document for more information. The medical questionnaire can be found online at: .
Not included in the tour
- Meal Budget
- Local Flights
- All local flights are included in the cost of your tour unless otherwise noted. It is important that we have your passport information at the time of booking in order to process these tickets. Internal flight tickets are issued locally and will be given to you prior to the flight departure. Domestic carriers for internal flights in Egypt will be Egypt Air or Nile Air. Flight information will not be available until a couple of days prior to the tour departure. The domestic flight maximum weight allowance is 20 kg.
- Eating is a big part of traveling. Travelling with G Adventures you experience the vast array of wonderful food that is available out in the world. Generally meals are not included in the trip price when there is a choice of eating options, to give you the maximum flexibility in deciding where, what and with whom to eat. It also gives you more budgeting flexibility, though generally food is cheap. Our groups tend to eat together to enable you to taste a larger variety of dishes and enjoy each other's company. There is no obligation to do this though. Your CEO will be able to suggest favourite restaurants during your trip. The above information applies to G Adventures group trips. For Independent trips please check the itinerary for details of meals included. For all trips please refer to the meals included and budget information for included meals and meal budgets.
- Solo Travellers
- We believe single travellers should not have to pay more to travel so our group trips are designed for shared accommodation and do not involve a single supplement. Single travellers joining group trips are paired in twin or multi-share accommodation with someone of the same sex for the duration of the trip. Some of our Independent trips are designed differently and single travellers on these itineraries must pay the single trip price.
- About Accommodation
- On this trip you can expect to stay in local hotels or pensions (with the exception of the start and finish hotels, which are often larger city hotels), which will vary a little in standard and facilities: some may not have elevators, air-conditioning or English-speaking staff, but most importantly all are in excellent central locations to give you maximum time for exploring the sights.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 23 September 2018 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Please quote deal number 3626251 when you call.