Climb Mt Toubkal
Jebel Toubkal, Morocco’s highest peak, has captivated mountaineers for centuries. Our ascent up the rocky giant of North Africa — the tallest in the region — is no picnic, but is accessible to anyone in good shape and hungry for a thrilling high-altitude adventure. Traditional Berber communities line the route on this trip and you’ll have plenty of time to learn their customs through village visits and overnight camping with hearty home-cooked meals. The views on the way up are spectacular, but nothing compares to what you’ll see (and feel) at the top.
Your tour to Marrakesh includes:
- Atlas Mountains trek with a qualified mountain guide (5 days). All transport between destinations and to/from included activities.
- Meals Included
- 6 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 4 dinners
- Hotels (2 nts), mountain gîtes (3 nts), camping (1 nt, 2-man tents)
- Group Size Notes
- Max 14, Avg 10.
- Private air-conditioned van, walking
Day 1 Marrakech
Arrive at any time.
Arrival Day and Welcome Meeting
Day 2 Marrakech/Tizi Oussem (1B, 1L, 1D)
Leave the plains around Marrakech, wind your way through the Moulay Brahim Gorge and the foothills of the western High Atlas Mountains. Pass the village of Asni to Imi Oughlad, where we meet our mules and muleteers to begin the trekking adventure.
Our trekking mules will carry your larger bags as well as tents and equipment. Luggage is limited to 12kg (26 lbs) per person for the trek and bags must be soft duffle bags or frameless backpacks.
You will carry only your own daypack when trekking (for water, camera, jacket, sunscreen, etc.). Sometimes the mules take a slightly different track at some points, or go faster than we walk. As you may not see them for long stretches, you should be prepared to carry the things you need with you while walking between stops.
Gîtes are accommodation in family houses, or mountain huts, usually in mountain villages and are very, very simple. If you have this expectation in mind we are sure you will be pleasantly surprised. Sleeping arrangements are multi-share. Matresses are provided. You will need to have your own sleeping bag, sleeping sheet, and bath towel. Bathroom facilities are basic and shared, and hot water is not always available.
High Atlas Trek: Tizi ‘n Tacht
Private Vehicle (1.50 hour(s))
Day 3 Tizi Oussem/Aroumd (1B, 1L, 1D)
We stay in another village gite for the night.
Mount Toubkal Trek
Day 4 Aroumd/Jebel Toubkal (1B, 1L, 1D)
Time permitting, enjoy either a 2-hour optional climb to the summit of Ouanoums (3,650m/11,975 ft) or simply relax at base camp for the night.
Tonight camp in two-person tents near the busy Mt Toubkal refuges, which sit at an altitude of 3,207m/10,522 ft.
Foam mattresses are provided for you to sleep on during our camping. If you would like more comfort, please bring a light weight self-inflating mattress such as a thermarest. Pillows are not provided so you may also wish to bring an inflatable pillow. You will need to bring a sleeping bag and we recommend a lightweight sleeping sheet as well (for extra warmth or for when hot).
Bathroom facilities are "au naturelle", we hide our "hole in the ground" toilet with a tent, and ask that all toilet paper is burnt. You can also make use of the toilets and showers at the base camp refuge, but you will be asked to pay and the camp may be some distance from the refuge.
Mizane Valley Trek
Day 5 Jebel Toubkal/Aroumd (1B, 1L, 1D)
Savour the satisfaction of the ascent and the spectacular views across the valleys below when summitting the 4,167m (13,671 ft) Mt Toubkal today.
Mt Toubkal Summit
Day 6 Aroumd/Marrakech (1B)
Take advantage of a few hours in the early evening to explore this wonderful city - perhaps for some serious bargaining for souvenirs.
Private Vehicle (1.50 hour(s))
Day 7 Marrakech (1B)
Depart at any time.
Please note that hotel check-out time is normally mid-morning, but luggage storage is available (possible extra charge to be paid locally).
Other important information
- Dossier Disclaimer
- The information in this trip details document has been compiled with care and is provided in good faith. However it is subject to change, and does not form part of the contract between the client and the operator. The itinerary featured is correct at time of printing. It may differ slightly to the one in the brochure. Occasionally our itineraries change as we make improvements that stem from past travellers, comments and our own research. Sometimes it can be a small change like adding an extra meal along the itinerary. Sometimes the change may result in us altering the tour for the coming year. Ultimately, our goal is to provide you with the most rewarding experience. Please note that our brochure is usually released in November each year. If you have booked from the previous brochure you may find there have been some changes to the itinerary. VERY IMPORTANT: Please ensure that you print a final copy of your Trip Details to review a couple of days prior to travel, in case there have been changes that affect your plans.
- Important Notes
- 1. Our trekking mules will carry your larger bags as well as tents and equipment. Luggage is limited to 12kg per person for the trek, and bags must be soft duffle bags or frameless backpacks. Any additional luggage you bring with you can be left in storage at the hotel in Marrakech (at your own risk) – come prepared with an additional bag for this. You will carry only your daypack when trekking - for water, camera, jacket, sunscreen, etc. It can be that sometimes the mules take a slightly different track at some points, or go faster, and you might not see them for long stretches so it is best not to rely on mules carrying the things you need with them between stops. Foam mattresses are provided for you to sleep on during our camping. If you would like more comfort please bring a light weight self inflating mattress such as a thermarest. Pillows are not provided so you may also wish to bring an inflatable pillow. You will need to bring a sleeping bag (3–4 season depending on time of year) and we recommend a lightweight sleeping sheet as well (for extra warmth or for when hot). As you will be trekking through remote areas, washing and toilet facilities are basic and may be limited, if non-existent. The toilet facilities are usually squat toilets, and in two locations it's back to nature for the bathroom facilities. Most often only cold water is available. Should heating facilities be available, you may have to pay a small additional charge for this to cover costs of the gas used to heat the water. 2. Weather: Please note that the climate in Morocco can be both very hot during the day in summer months (up to 50°C) and cold at night in the mountains in autumn, early spring and winter (down to -6°C). Summer months, from April to September are very hot throughout Morocco. Winter months November to March can be cool to cold, especially in the Atlas Mountains, with high probability of snowfall. Most Moroccan buildings are not equipped with heating, so without proper layers you will be cold at night. Please bring appropriate clothing for the months in which you are travelling and check temperatures before you leave. Bedding is provided in the desert camp and the gîte, but in winter months if you feel the cold you may wish to bring a sleeping bag too. 3. RAMADAN: According to the lunar cycle, Ramadan will fall between May 15th and June 14th, 2018. Please note that Ramadan is a month of fasting observed by Muslims throughout the world, during which time the followers of Islam should not eat or drink between sunrise and sunset. There may be some limitations to services and disruptions to schedules during Ramadan, but generally our tours still operate effectively during this period and food is available to non-Muslims throughout the day. It is very important to display increased cultural sensitivity during Ramadan. Please wear loose fitting clothes, that cover knees and shoulders, and try to avoid eating, drinking or smoking in public out of respect for those who can't at that time.
- Medical Form
- Our small group adventures bring together people of all ages. It is very important you are aware that, as a minimum, an average level of fitness and mobility' is required to undertake our easiest programs. Travellers must be able to walk without the aid of another person, climb 3-4 flights of stairs, step on and off small boats, and carry their own luggage at a minimum. Travellers with a pre-existing medical condition are required to complete a short medical questionnaire, which must be signed by their physician. This is to ensure that travellers have the necessary fitness and mobility to comfortably complete their chosen trip. While our CEOs work hard to ensure that all our travellers are catered for equally, it is not their responsibility to help individuals who cannot complete the day's activities unaided. Please refer to the physical ratings in this Trip Details document for more information. Please note that all passengers traveling to Antarctica are required to fill out this questionnaire. The medical questionnaire can be found online at: .
Not included in the tour
- Meal Budget
- Local Flights
- On this tour many of your meals are included. You can expect simple, healthy seasonal food. Breakfast is typically bread, jam, cheese, sometimes eggs, accompanied by tea/coffee. Lunches are usually salads sometimes with eggs or tinned fish, always with bread. Dinners usually start with a soup followed by tagine,rice or pasta dishes, again with plenty of bread. We are able to cater for vegetarians. Please advise us of any other special dietary issues at time of booking. You are accompanied by a cook who, together with your CEO and mule handlers, will prepare your hearty meals during your trek. If you’d like to lend a hand and learn some of the local techniques, you are more than welcome! Water and other drinks are at your own expense. Your CEO will give advice about the quantity of water to take at the start of the tour, and availability of additional supplies during the trek.
- Solo Travellers
- We believe single travellers should not have to pay more to travel so our group trips are designed for shared accommodation and do not involve a single supplement. Single travellers joining group trips are paired in twin or multi-share accommodation with someone of the same sex for the duration of the trip. Some of our Independent trips are designed differently and single travellers on these itineraries must pay the single trip price.
- About Accommodation
- Local mountain gîtes: Gites are accommodation in family homes, or mountain huts, usually in mountain villages and are very, very simple. If you have this expectation in mind we are sure you will be pleasantly surprised. Sleeping arrangements are multi-share. Mattresses are provided. You will need to have your own sleeping bag and sleeping sheet, and bath towel. Bathroom facilities are basic and shared. Hot water is often not available. You will enjoy delicious homemade dinners of local produce, dining in a traditional manner, often sitting on the floor in a cozy salon. Camping: We sleep in modern two person tents which are easy to set up. Foam mattresses are provided for you to sleep on during our camping. If you would like more comfort please bring a light weight self-inflating mattress such as a thermarest. Pillows are not provided so you may also wish to bring an inflatable pillow. You will need to bring a sleeping bag and we recommend a lightweight sleeping sheet as well (for extra warmth or for when hot). Bathroom facilities are "au naturelle" We will hide our "hole in the ground" toilet with a tent, and ask that all toilet paper is burnt. You can also make use the toilets and showers at the Toubkal refuge, but you will be asked to pay and often the camp is some distance from the refuge. Don't forget your flashlight/torch. Those worn as "headlamps" are especially useful. Hotel In Marrakech we will stay in a local hotel in the new town. This is approximately a 25 minute walk to the central medina. Please note that Morocco is a developing country and as such the infrastructure is not as reliable as you would expect at home. Expect quirky plumbing and the odd cold shower!
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 28 September 2018 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Please quote deal number 3626212 when you call.