Costa Rica Volcanoes & Surfing
Mountain bike along Lake Arenal with breathtaking volcanic views and catch a wave on this action-packed nine-day tour of Costa Rica. Get your adrenaline pumping with optional extreme sports like whitewater rafting, waterfall rappelling, and ziplining through the lush jungle canopy. Learn to surf the famous Pacific breaks at Playa Santa Teresa and enjoy plenty of time to relax on tropical beaches. Throw in the opportunity to see incredible rainforest wildlife and you've got a unique adventure you'll be talking about for years.
Your tour to San Jose - Costa Rica includes:
- Hands-On: Surfing Lesson. Guided mountain biking excursion (Arenal). Guided cloud forest night walk (Monteverde). Beach time in Santa Teresa. Free time in La Fortuna. All transport between destinations and to/from included activities.
- Meals Included
- 2 breakfasts
- Hotels (8 nts).
- Group Size Notes
- Max 16, avg 12
- Public bus, private vehicle, boat, mountain bike.
Day 1 San José
Arrive in San José at any time. Check into our hotel and enjoy the city.
If you arrive early, head into downtown San José to visit a museum, shop or people-watch in the main plaza, a good place to watch San José at its most lively. A mime, juggler, marimba band, magician, or storyteller may be performing for tips, and artisan booths are common, creating a regular arts and crafts fair atmosphere.
Arrival Day and Welcome Meeting
Day 2 San José/La Fortuna
Travel by bus to La Fortuna, at the foot of Arenal Volcano, our next adventure base. Hike the area’s nature trails, swim in chilly La Fortuna waterfall or try canyoneering.
Other optional activities include mountain biking, caving, horseback riding or a tour of the Caño Negro Wildlife Refuge. Like much of Costa Rica, the area is a birders’ paradise, with over 600 species as permanent residents.
Finally, after a day of exploring, take a relaxing soak in one of the region's lush, cascading hot springs.
Day 3 La Fortuna
Enjoy free time to fully explore the area. Opt to go for a swim in a nearby swimming hole, go kayaking, or get spoiled with a massage.
Day 4 La Fortuna/Monteverde
From La Fortuna, travel by van to the shores of Lake Arenal where our mountain bikes will be waiting for a two-hour cycling journey (challenging with some hills and bumps). Afterwards, board a boat for the half hour boat ride across the lake. When we arrive at Rio Chiquito, we switch to waiting vans to drive the final leg up into the cool, misty mountain air of the Monteverde Cloud Forest.
Arenal Cycling Trip
Guided Cloud Forest Night Walk
Day 5 Monteverde
Enjoy a free day to explore the cloud forest region of Costa Rica. Opt to fly across canopy ziplines, tour a coffee plantation, or go horseback riding in the hills.
Day 6 Monteverde/Santa Teresa
Head to the Pacific coast for some much needed beach time and an opportunity to enjoy the waves. Playa Santa Teresa and Malpais are small towns frequented by surfers. Beginners and intermediate surfers alike should take advantage of the two included surf lessons to fine-tune skills.
Cabo Blanco Nature Reserve is located next to Malpais, take a hike to explore the area or check out the snorkelling at Secret Beach.
Day 7 Santa Teresa (1B)
Enjoy another included surf lesson, then spend the rest of the day relaxing or taking part in other optional activities in the area.
Day 8 Santa Teresa/San José (1B)
Squeeze in a morning surf before embarking on our journey back to the capital, San José. Arrive in the evening (approx 9pm) in time to shower and head out for a final night on the town.
Day 9 San José
Depart at any time.
Other important information
- Dossier Disclaimer
- Important Notes
- 1) Costa Rica will not be allowing anyone to enter the country without proof of a departure ticket (bus, airplane, boat, etc.). If you are travelling through a few countries in Central America, you will need to show proof of your itinerary and a departure ticket from your last destination. Please print the itinerary and voucher and bring it with you. 2)Be prepared for rain and lower temperatures during the winter season (June-November), especially in Costa Rica's central valley. 3) Mountain biking trip from La Fortuna to Monteverde is dependent on weather conditions. Passengers who do not participate in this activity will be transported by van to meet the group where the bicycle riding trip ends. Bicycle size and style may vary according to availability. Anyone who does not wish to participate have that option but may need to wait for their group to finish up the ride before moving on to Monteverde. 4) Surfboards are included only during surfing classes. Sizes and styles may vary according to availability. 5) Looking to add to your experience? Check out our Theme Packs! Specially designed for travellers with unique interests, theme packs are optional add-ons to your G adventures trip that make your adventure more you-centric. Theme Packs must be booked prior to departure, please see details in our optional activities field and ask you sales CEO.
- Medical Form
- Our small group adventures bring together people of all ages. It is very important you are aware that, as a minimum, an average level of fitness and mobility' is required to undertake our easiest programs. Travellers must be able to walk without the aid of another person, climb 3-4 flights of stairs, step on and off small boats, and carry their own luggage at a minimum. Travellers with a pre-existing medical condition are required to complete a short medical questionnaire, which must be signed by their physician. This is to ensure that travellers have the necessary fitness and mobility to comfortably complete their chosen trip. While our CEOs work hard to ensure that all our travellers are catered for equally, it is not their responsibility to help individuals who cannot complete the day's activities unaided. Please refer to the physical ratings in this Trip Details document for more information. The medical questionnaire can be found online at: .
Not included in the tour
- Meal Budget
- Local Flights
- Eating is a big part of traveling. Travelling with G Adventures you experience the vast array of wonderful food that is available out in the world. Generally meals are not included in the trip price when there is a choice of eating options, to give you the maximum flexibility in deciding where, what and with whom to eat. It also gives you more budgeting flexibility, though generally food is cheap. Our groups tend to eat together to enable you to taste a larger variety of dishes and enjoy each other's company. There is no obligation to do this though. Your CEO will be able to suggest favourite restaurants during your trip. The above information applies to G Adventures group trips. For Independent trips please check the itinerary for details of meals included. For all trips please refer to the meals included and budget information for included meals and meal budgets.
- Solo Travellers
- We believe single travellers should not have to pay more to travel so our group trips are designed for shared accommodation and do not involve a single supplement. Single travellers joining group trips are paired in twin or multi-share accommodation with someone of the same sex for the duration of the trip. Some of our Independent trips are designed differently and single travellers on these itineraries must pay the single trip price.
- About Accommodation
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 27 February 2018 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Please quote deal number 3626032 when you call.