Costa Rica Kayaking Adventure
Glide straight into the core of the Costa Rican experience and hit three of Costa Rica’s hot spots in a kayak. Beginners and more experienced kayakers are welcome — for the nature lover, the scenery’s the point, not the sweat! Get really wild at Lake Arenal, the centre of adventure sports like paddle-boarding, then cruise through the canals of Tortuguero in search of monkeys and sloths. Experience lush greenery and Caribbean flavour from a whole different level when you kayak Costa Rica.
Your tour to San Jose - Costa Rica includes:
- Hands-on: Stand Up Paddle and Kayak Combo, Arenal Carte Blanche: La Fortuna. Guided kayaking on Cuarto River (Sarapiquí). Guided kayaking and wildlife viewing through canals of Tortuguero. Guided excursion to the town of Tortuguero. Free time in La Fortuna. Transport between destinations and to/from included activities.
- Meals Included
- 3 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 3 dinners
- Hotels (5 nts), cottages (1 nt, multi-share), jungle lodge (2 nts).
- Group Size Notes
- Max 16, avg 10
- Public bus, private vehicle, boat, kayak, walking.
Day 1 San José
There are no planned activities, so check into the hotel and enjoy the city.
Amid the hustle and bustle, San José has beautiful parks, museums and the ornate National Theatre downtown. The central plaza is a good place to people-watch. A mime, juggler, marimba band, magician, or storyteller may be performing for whatever is collected when the hat is passed. Artisan booths are common, creating a regular arts and crafts fair atmosphere.
Arrival Day and Welcome Meeting
Day 2 San José/La Fortuna
La Fortuna, the town near the foot of Arenal Volcano, is an excellent base for adventure.
Local bus (3.00-5.00 hours, 150km)
Day 3 La Fortuna
Work your arms, legs and core muscles in an included kayak and stand-up paddle board session on Lake Arenal.
Stand Up Paddle and Kayak Combo
Day 4 La Fortuna
Enjoy a free day for adrenaline-fueled optionals such as the Cerro Chato extreme hike, whitewater rafting on Class III and IV rapids, waterfall rappelling or mountain biking. Or take it easy with some bird watching in Caño Negro Wildlife Refuge by boat or a massage in town.
Day 5 La Fortuna/Sarapiquí (1L, 1D)
Travel to Sarapiquí and to the tranquil Cuarto River. Hop into kayaks and cruise downstream. The calm waters are perfect for birdwatching and wildlife spotting in the forest canopy.
Guided River Kayak Excursion
Private Vehicle (4.00-5.00 hours)
Day 6 Sarapiquí/Tortuguero (1B, 1L, 1D)
Travel east towards the Caribbean coast, then transfer to a boat and motor through canals to arrive in Tortuguero at the jungle-lined coast of Costa Rica. After arrival, enjoy a guided visit to the town of Tortuguero.
Tortuguero Village Visit
Private Vehicle (3.00-4.00 hours)
Boat (1.50-2.00 hours)
Day 7 Tortuguero (1B, 1L, 1D)
Along Costa Rica's Caribbean coast, between April and October, sea turtles lay their eggs on the beach. Green turtles are most common, but leatherbacks, hawksbill and loggerhead turtles are also occasionally found near Tortuguero. You must book a tour with a registered tour guide in order to be allowed on the beach at night during nesting season. From November to early January, baby turtles will be making the journey from their nest to the ocean.
Guided Kayak Excursion
Day 8 Tortuguero/San José (1B, 1L)
If you have time, check out the sites you may have missed at the start of the trip or do some last-minute souvenir shopping.
Boat (1.50-2.00 hours)
Private Vehicle (4.00-5.00 hours, 150km)
Day 9 San José
Depart at any time.
Other important information
- Dossier Disclaimer
- The information in this trip details document has been compiled with care and is provided in good faith. However it is subject to change, and does not form part of the contract between the client and the operator. The itinerary featured is correct at time of printing. It may differ slightly to the one in the brochure. Occasionally our itineraries change as we make improvements that stem from past travellers, comments and our own research. Sometimes it can be a small change like adding an extra meal along the itinerary. Sometimes the change may result in us altering the tour for the coming year. Ultimately, our goal is to provide you with the most rewarding experience. Please note that our brochure is usually released in November each year. If you have booked from the previous brochure you may find there have been some changes to the itinerary. VERY IMPORTANT: Please ensure that you print a final copy of your Trip Details to review a couple of days prior to travel, in case there have been changes that affect your plans.
- Important Notes
- 1. WEATHER Be prepared for rain and lower temperatures during the winter season (June-November), especially in Costa Rica's central valley. 2. PROOF OF DEPARTURE Costa Rica will not be allowing anyone to enter the country without proof of a departure ticket (bus, airplane, boat, etc.). If you are travelling through a few countries in Central America, you will need to show proof of your itinerary and a departure ticket from your last destination. Please print the itinerary and voucher and bring it with you. 3. TYPES OF KAYAKS USED Both 1-person and 2-person sit on top kayaks are available for use on this tour.
- Medical Form
- Our small group adventures bring together people of all ages. It is very important you are aware that, as a minimum, an average level of fitness and mobility' is required to undertake our easiest programs. Travellers must be able to walk without the aid of another person, climb 3-4 flights of stairs, step on and off small boats, and carry their own luggage at a minimum. Travellers with a pre-existing medical condition are required to complete a short medical questionnaire, which must be signed by their physician. This is to ensure that travellers have the necessary fitness and mobility to comfortably complete their chosen trip. While our CEOs work hard to ensure that all our travellers are catered for equally, it is not their responsibility to help individuals who cannot complete the day's activities unaided. Please refer to the physical ratings in this Trip Details document for more information. The medical questionnaire can be found online at: .
Not included in the tour
- Meal Budget
- Local Flights
- Eating is a big part of traveling. Travelling with G Adventures you experience the vast array of wonderful food that is available out in the world. Generally meals are not included in the trip price when there is a choice of eating options, to give you the maximum flexibility in deciding where, what and with whom to eat. It also gives you more budgeting flexibility, though generally food is cheap. Our groups tend to eat together to enable you to taste a larger variety of dishes and enjoy each other's company. There is no obligation to do this though. Your CEO will be able to suggest favourite restaurants during your trip. The above information applies to G Adventures group trips. For Independent trips please check the itinerary for details of meals included. For all trips please refer to the meals included and budget information for included meals and meal budgets.
- Solo Travellers
- We believe single travellers should not have to pay more to travel so our group trips are designed for shared accommodation and do not involve a single supplement. Single travellers joining group trips are paired in twin or multi-share accommodation with someone of the same sex for the duration of the trip. Some of our Independent trips are designed differently and single travellers on these itineraries must pay the single trip price.
- About Accommodation
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 29 September 2018 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Please quote deal number 3626024 when you call.