Costa Rica Family Experience
Nothing brings learning to life like real-world experience. This week-long trip’s engaging lesson plan gives kids an education in biology and ecology that can never be found in a textbook. Here, spend the days studying the flora and fauna that inhabit the Santa Elena Cloud Forest Reserve and Manuel Antonio National Park. Elsewhere, get in touch with the land by rappelling, rafting, swimming, horseback-riding, and even surfing all over it. Science + gym? You do the math.
Your tour to San Jose - Costa Rica includes:
- Local Living: Tortilla Making and Local Lunch, La Fortuna Hands-On: Stand Up Paddle (Lesson and Tour), Arenal Hands-On: Kayak Lake Arenal. Arrival transfer. Kayaking and paddle-boarding in La Fortuna. Guided hike in the Santa Elena Cloud Forest Reserve (Monteverde). Guided hike in Manuel Antonio NP. All transport between destinations and to/from included activities.
- Meals Included
- 8 breakfasts, 1 lunch
- Hotels (8 nts).
- Group Size Notes
- Max 20, avg 10
- Private van, boat, walking
Day 1 San José
Amid the hustle and bustle of this busy capital, San José has beautiful parks, museums and an ornate National Theatre. Start your exploration of the city in the central plaza, a great place to people-watch. A mime, juggler, marimba band, magician, or storyteller may be performing for whatever is collected when the hat is passed. Artisan booths are common, creating a regular arts and crafts fair atmosphere.
Arrival Day and Welcome Meeting
Day 2 San José/La Fortuna (1B, 1L)
A three-hour van trip brings us to La Fortuna, near the base of the spectacular Arenal Volcano. La Fortuna is a great base for active adventures. Along the way, stop to meet Doña Mara and learn the art of making (and eating!) tortillas.
Once we arrive, there's time to relax in the hot springs that are heated by the volcano's lava.
During our stay in La Fortuna, there is a wide selection of activities sure to please every member of the family. From river rafting, to rappelling down waterfalls, to floating along the canals of the Caño Negro Wildlife Refuge in search of caiman, there is no excuse to be bored!
Tortilla Making and Local Lunch
Private Vehicle (3.00 hour(s))
Day 3 La Fortuna (1B)
Take to the lake for a morning of stand-up paddle boarding and kayaking on Lake Arenal, before a free afternoon.
This morning there is an included kayak/SUP activity on Lake Arenal. Half the group will start by kayaking and switch to SUP mid-way through, and vice versa.
Stand Up Paddle (Lesson and Tour)
Kayak Lake Arenal
Day 4 La Fortuna/Monteverde (1B)
From La Fortuna, we make our way first by boat, then by van up the rough mountain roads to reach the fresh misty air of the Monteverde Cloud Forest. Spend two days exploring the community and nearby forest, truly a bird lover’s paradise.
Private Vehicle (0.25 hour(s))
Boat (1.00 hour(s))
Private Vehicle (3.50 hour(s))
Day 5 Monteverde (1B)
Pull on long pants, spray the insect repellent and set off on a guided nature hike in the Santa Elena Cloud Forest Reserve.
Santa Elena Cloud Forest Guided Tour
Day 6 Monteverde/Manuel Antonio (1B)
The white sand beaches and warm Pacific waters are the ideal atmosphere to relax at the end of your adventure. Manuel Antonio NP offers excellent hiking, spectacular views, and abundant wildlife viewing. An included hike goes deep into the park, to explore everything that can be found here.
Enjoy the beautiful white sand beaches and discover why the warm turquoise water is ideal for swimming, fishing, kayaking, boogie boarding, sailing or surfing - the perfect finale to an exciting family adventure!
Overnight in Manuel Antonio.
Manuel Antonio National Park Guided Hike
Private Vehicle (4.00 hour(s), 200km)
Day 7 Manuel Antonio (1B)
Enjoy a free day for several optional activities like mangrove kayaking, surf lessons, a sunset catamaran tour, or take some time to relax on the beach.
Day 8 Manuel Antonio/San José (1B)
After one final morning to soak up the sun on the beach in Manuel Antonio, we return to San José, and have time to enjoy one final evening together with our group.
Private Vehicle (5.00 hour(s), 220km)
Day 9 San José (1B)
Depart at any time.
Other important information
- Dossier Disclaimer
- The information in this trip details document has been compiled with care and is provided in good faith. However it is subject to change, and does not form part of the contract between the client and the operator. The itinerary featured is correct at time of printing. It may differ slightly to the one in the brochure. Occasionally our itineraries change as we make improvements that stem from past travellers, comments and our own research. Sometimes it can be a small change like adding an extra meal along the itinerary. Sometimes the change may result in us altering the tour for the coming year. Ultimately, our goal is to provide you with the most rewarding experience. Please note that our brochure is usually released in November each year. If you have booked from the previous brochure you may find there have been some changes to the itinerary. VERY IMPORTANT: Please ensure that you print a final copy of your Trip Details to review a couple of days prior to travel, in case there have been changes that affect your plans.
- Important Notes
- Costa Rica will not be allowing anyone to enter the country without proof of a departure ticket (bus, airplane, boat, etc.). If you are travelling through a few countries in Central America, you will need to show proof of your itinerary and a departure ticket from your last destination. Please print the itinerary and voucher and bring it with you. Be prepared for rain and lower temperatures during the winter season (June-November), especially in Costa Rica's central valley.
- Medical Form
- Our small group adventures bring together people of all ages. It is very important you are aware that, as a minimum, an average level of fitness and mobility' is required to undertake our easiest programs. Travellers must be able to walk without the aid of another person, climb 3-4 flights of stairs, step on and off small boats, and carry their own luggage at a minimum. Travellers with a pre-existing medical condition are required to complete a short medical questionnaire, which must be signed by their physician. This is to ensure that travellers have the necessary fitness and mobility to comfortably complete their chosen trip. While our CEOs work hard to ensure that all our travellers are catered for equally, it is not their responsibility to help individuals who cannot complete the day's activities unaided. Please refer to the physical ratings in this Trip Details document for more information. The medical questionnaire can be found online at: .
Not included in the tour
- Meal Budget
- Local Flights
- Eating is a big part of traveling. Travelling with G Adventures you experience the vast array of wonderful food that is available out in the world. Generally meals are not included in the trip price when there is a choice of eating options, to give you the maximum flexibility in deciding where, what and with whom to eat. It also gives you more budgeting flexibility, though generally food is cheap. Our groups tend to eat together to enable you to taste a larger variety of dishes and enjoy each other's company. There is no obligation to do this though. Your CEO will be able to suggest favourite restaurants during your trip. The above information applies to G Adventures group trips. Please refer to the meals included and budget information for included meals and meal budgets.
- Solo Travellers
- We believe single travellers should not have to pay more to travel so our group trips are designed for shared accommodation and do not involve a single supplement. Single travellers joining group trips are paired in twin or multi-share accommodation with someone of the same sex for the duration of the trip. Some of our Independent trips are designed differently and single travellers on these itineraries must pay the single trip price.
- About Accommodation
- Accommodation for family trips has been chosen to give the best location and facilities for your family. They may vary depending on the location and destination, but designed to give the most comfortable experience while travelling. You and your family will generally be sharing rooms on a twin or triple share basis. These rooms will be either adjoining or located at close proximity to each other. Families will be roomed together and not with other families everywhere we stay. If you have any special hotel requests at the time of booking, let us know and we will do what we can to accommodate them.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 28 October 2017 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Please quote deal number 3626023 when you call.