Costa Rica Adventure
If you’re looking for a taste of Costa Rica’s world-class highlights but want to keep things spicy with a sampling of hidden treasures, this action-packed adventure tops the menu. In spite of its small size, Costa Rica is one of the most biologically diverse countries in the world – explore its volcanoes, wildlife, rainforests and beaches. This adventure offers a great balance of guided excursions and free time. Optional activities abound – choose to get your adrenaline pumping or take it easy with a stroll through a butterfly garden.
16 days from
Your tour to San Jose - Costa Rica includes:
- G Adventures for Good: Mi Cafecito Coffee Cooperative Tour, Sarapiquí Hands-On: Cooking Demonstration, Sarapiquí Rainforest. Santa Elena Cloud Forest Reserve guided tour (Monteverde). Jungle lodge stay. Nature trail walk with swim (Sarapiquí). All transport between destinations and to/from included activities.
- Meals Included
- 4 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 4 dinners
- Hotels (13 nts), jungle lodge (2 nts, multi-share).
- Group Size Notes
- Max 16, avg 12
- Private vehicle, tractor, public bus, boat, walking.
Day 1 San José
Arrive at any time.
Arrival Day and Welcome Meeting
Day 2 San José/Quepos
The small town of Quepos is on the Pacific Coast and this region of Costa Rica is a great place to relax and enjoy the sun and nearby sea. A short distance away, Manuel Antonio National Park offers beautiful white-sand beaches and warm turquoise water, ideal for swimming, fishing, kayaking, boogie boarding, sailing or surfing.
Day 3 Quepos
Enjoy a free day in the Manuel Antonio region to explore and relax. Opt go kayaking through mangroves, take a surf lesson or cruise along the coast on a dolphin-spotting sunset sailing excursion.
Day 4 Quepos/Monteverde
Ascend to the Monteverde cloud forest region. Spend a couple of days exploring the town and a cloud forest reserve, truly a bird lover's paradise. This unique community has several cooperatives worth visiting.
Optional activities include the Sky Walk, a series of suspension bridges through the jungle canopy, a butterfly garden and a thrilling canopy zipline.
Day 5 Monteverde
Enjoy a guided tour of Santa Elena Cloud Forest Reserve. Opt to fly across the forest canopy on ziplines or visit the frog pond.
Santa Elena Cloud Forest Guided Tour
Day 6 Monteverde/La Fortuna
La Fortuna, the town near the foot of Arenal Volcano is an excellent base for adventure. Hike the area’s nature trails, swim in chilly La Fortuna waterfall or go canyoneering (rappelling) and catch a bird’s eye view of the forest greenery.
Days 7-8 La Fortuna
Optional activities include full-day whitewater rafting on the Toro or Arenal Rivers, mountain biking, caving, horseback riding, or a tour of the Caño Negro Wildlife Refuge. Like much of Costa Rica, the area is a birders’ paradise, with over 600 species as permanent residents. Finally, after a long day of exploring, you can choose to take a relaxing soak at Baldi Hot Springs.
Day 9 La Fortuna/Sarapiquí Rainforest (1L, 1D)
Visit a coffee cooperative in the small village of San Miguel de Sarapiquí and take a traditional coffee tour. Enjoy a local lunch here— there's even fresh tilapia farmed on site— and then tour the grounds of the cooperative to learn about the coffee process from bean to cup.
Next, board a tractor-drawn cart excellent for navigating the jungle along rugged uphill terrain on the way to our special jungle oasis.
Accommodation is in a rustic lodge with multi-share sleeping arrangements, and shared bathroom facilities.
Mi Cafecito Coffee Cooperative Tour
Sarapiquí Jungle Lodge Stay
Includes a stop at the Mi Cafecito Coffee Cooperative with lunch.
Day 10 Sarapiquí Rainforest (1B, 1L, 1D)
Enjoy a day in the beautiful Sarapiquí Valley. Optional activities (all included in our overnight package, weather-depending) include swimming in the river, night walks, an empanada-making lesson or lounging in a hammock.
Sarapiquí Jungle Lodge Stay
Sunrise Birding Hike
Day 11 Sarapiquí Rainforest/Tortuguero (1B, 1L, 1D)
The journey to Tortuguero is half the adventure. Begin by taking a tractor-drawn cart, board a private van, and finish it off with a journey by boat.
This unique village has walking paths that extend into the national park, a fantastic place to see wildlife even when turtles aren't in season.
The trip takes you from the Magsasay Jungle Lodge to the Pozo Azul restaurant. The bumpy trip takes approximately two hours. On our journey in we ford two rivers, by tractor when the water is low, or cross foot-bridges when water levels rise with the rains.
Day 12 Tortuguero (1B, 1L, 1D)
Enjoy free time to explore Tortuguero. Opt to kayak through the canals and view the wildlife, wake up early and head to the beach to watch turtle eggs hatch (seasonal), or just wander through the town.
Day 13 Tortuguero/Puerto Viejo de Talamanca (1B)
A morning boat ride and drive ends in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, with spectacular scenery en route. This seaside town is perfect for relaxing or exploring the Manzanillo National Wildlife Refuge.
Day 14 Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
The picturesque village of Puerto Viejo de Talamanca’s 14 kms of incomparable white- and black-sand beaches are surrounded by exotic tropical vegetation.
Opt to rent a bike, hike to Monkey Point, go snorkelling or take it easy and explore La Isla Botanical Gardens.
Day 15 Puerto Viejo de Talamanca/San José
Take a bus ride over the mountains back to the capital.
Day 16 San José
Depart at any time.
Other important information
- Dossier Disclaimer
- The information in this trip details document has been compiled with care and is provided in good faith. However it is subject to change, and does not form part of the contract between the client and the operator. The itinerary featured is correct at time of printing. It may differ slightly to the one in the brochure. Occasionally our itineraries change as we make improvements that stem from past travellers, comments and our own research. Sometimes it can be a small change like adding an extra meal along the itinerary. Sometimes the change may result in us altering the tour for the coming year. Ultimately, our goal is to provide you with the most rewarding experience. Please note that our brochure is usually released in November each year. If you have booked from the previous brochure you may find there have been some changes to the itinerary. VERY IMPORTANT: Please ensure that you print a final copy of your Trip Details to review a couple of days prior to travel, in case there have been changes that affect your plans.
- Important Notes
- Costa Rica will not be allowing anyone to enter the country without proof of a departure ticket (bus, airplane, boat, etc.). If you are travelling through a few countries in Central America, you will need to show proof of your itinerary and a departure ticket from your last destination. Please print the itinerary and voucher and bring it with you. The access to Sarapiqui rainforest is difficult and can seem extreme for those who are not mentally prepared for the experience. The tractor ride to get to the rainforest is an extreme adventure. Thus it’s not recommended for pregnant women or people with serious back problems. Also, all trails are natural, with uneven and sometimes slippery footing, so it’s not recommended for people with difficulty walking on uneven terrain. The lodge is rustic and most likely multi-share.
- Medical Form
- Our small group adventures bring together people of all ages. It is very important you are aware that, as a minimum, an average level of fitness and mobility' is required to undertake our easiest programs. Travellers must be able to walk without the aid of another person, climb 3-4 flights of stairs, step on and off small boats, and carry their own luggage at a minimum. Travellers with a pre-existing medical condition are required to complete a short medical questionnaire, which must be signed by their physician. This is to ensure that travellers have the necessary fitness and mobility to comfortably complete their chosen trip. While our CEOs work hard to ensure that all our travellers are catered for equally, it is not their responsibility to help individuals who cannot complete the day's activities unaided. Please refer to the physical ratings in this Trip Details document for more information. The medical questionnaire can be found online at: .
Not included in the tour
- Meal Budget
- Local Flights
- Eating is a big part of traveling. Travelling with G Adventures you experience the vast array of wonderful food that is available out in the world. Generally meals are not included in the trip price when there is a choice of eating options, to give you the maximum flexibility in deciding where, what and with whom to eat. It also gives you more budgeting flexibility, though generally food is affordable. Our groups tend to eat together to enable you to taste a larger variety of dishes and enjoy each other's company. There is no obligation to do this though. Your CEO will be able to suggest favourite restaurants during your trip. Please refer to the meals included and budget information for included meals and meal budgets.
- Solo Travellers
- We believe single travellers should not have to pay more to travel so our group trips are designed for shared accommodation and do not involve a single supplement. Single travellers joining group trips are paired in twin or multi-share accommodation with someone of the same sex for the duration of the trip. Some of our Independent trips are designed differently and single travellers on these itineraries must pay the single trip price.
- About Accommodation
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 17 December 2017 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Please quote deal number 3626019 when you call.