Kerala Beaches & Backwaters
Watch the sunset through the fishing nets of Kochi, stretch out on white-sand beaches, drift through the tranquil backwaters and rise at dawn to see the sunrise. This 7-day tour offers a quick introduction to the diversity of South India. Unwind with some yoga in your free time. Meet the locals and spend the night with a local family on a tour that's all about authentic cultural experience.
Your tour to Kochi includes:
- Local Living: Alleppey Homestay, Alleppey. Orientation walks in Alleppey, Kollam, and Fort Kochi. Kerala boat tour. Morning ferry cruise on Alleppey's backwaters. All transport between destinations and to/from included activities.
- Meals Included
- 1 breakfast, 2 lunches, 1 dinner
- Simple hotels (twin-share) or hostels (multi-share) (5 nts), homestay (1 nt).
- Group Size Notes
- Max 18, avg 12.
- Bus, boat, taxi, tuk tuk
Day 1 Kochi
Arrive in Kochi at any time. There are no planned activities. Check into to the hotel (check-in time is 12.00 midday) and enjoy the city.
Arrival Day and Welcome Meeting
Day 2 Kochi/Alleppey (1L, 1D)
Leaving early to avoid the heat, enjoy the Jewish Town with its old curio shops and the more than 400-year-old synagogue.
Travel afterwards to Alleppey, a golden streak of land woven with rivers, lakes, lagoons, and canals.
In the afternoon, we check out the island with a local English-speaking guide and learn about the way of life here. Afterwards, settle into a homestay and get to know your hosts.
Alleppey Guided Walk
Private Vehicle (1.50 hour(s))
Day 3 Alleppey/Kollam (1B, 1L)
Travel to Kollam by bus after enjoying a morning ferry cruise.
Alleppey Ferry Cruise
Local bus (2.00 hour(s))
Day 4 Kollam/Varkala
Enjoy lots of free time to explore the town, relax with an Ayurvedic massage, get treated by local healers, or visit the Varkala Temple.
Kollam Fishing Docks Visit
Neendakara Fishing Harbour Visit
Private Vehicle (6.00 hour(s))
Day 5 Varkala
Spend time wandering the peaceful gardens of an ashram devoted to Kerala's most eminent spiritual and social reformer and the mystical Janardhana Swamy Temple, or just head to the beach to relax and watch the Arabian Sea.
Day 6 Varkala/Kochi
Travel to Kochi and take an orientation tour visiting Fort Kochi, St Francis Church, the Dutch cemetery, and the Chinese fishing nets.
In the late afternoon/early evening, opt to watch Kathakali dancing (a Kerala traditional dance form).
Train (3.50-4.00 hours)
Day 7 Kochi
Depart at any time.
Other important information
- Dossier Disclaimer
- The information in this trip details document has been compiled with care and is provided in good faith. However it is subject to change, and does not form part of the contract between the client and the operator. The itinerary featured is correct at time of printing. It may differ slightly to the one in the brochure. Occasionally our itineraries change as we make improvements that stem from past travellers, comments and our own research. Sometimes it can be a small change like adding an extra meal along the itinerary. Sometimes the change may result in us altering the tour for the coming year. Ultimately, our goal is to provide you with the most rewarding experience. Please note that our brochure is usually released in November each year. If you have booked from the previous brochure you may find there have been some changes to the itinerary. VERY IMPORTANT: Please ensure that you print a final copy of your Trip Details to review a couple of days prior to travel, in case there have been changes that affect your plans.
- Important Notes
- 1. India is a country which is very different to anything you will have experienced before. Although this means it is not the easiest place to travel, this is also what makes it so special. Pollution, poverty and the crowds can result in initial culture shock but should be seen as an exciting new challenge. During our time here we have come to love this large and wonderfully different country but we know that we should always expect to encounter some difficulties along the way. 2. In India there are very different attitudes to time keeping, public cleanliness, privacy and service. Trains will sometimes be late, plumbing can sometimes be temperamental and power will often just vanish. Optimistic menus turn out to have only one dish available and everyone, just everyone, will want to know your name. If you are able to travel with a lot of patience and a healthy sense of humour, then we know that you - like all of us - will be captivated by what India has to offer. 3. Please note that this tour combines with other G Adventures tours. As such, the staff and some travel companions on your tour may have previously been travelling together with G Adventures, prior to Day 1 of your tour. Likewise, some staff and travel companions may be continuing together on another G Adventures tour, after your trip concludes. 4. RAMADAN Depending on the lunar cycle, Ramadan will fall between May 15th and June 14th, 2018. Please note that Ramadan is a month of fasting observed by Muslims throughout the world, during which time the followers of Islam should not eat or drink between sunrise and sunset. Only about 20% of Indians are Muslim, but it is important to note that there may be some limitations to services and disruptions to schedules during Ramadan. Generally our tours still operate effectively during this period and food is available to non-muslims throughout the day. It is important to display increased cultural sensitivity during Ramadan in predominately Muslim areas of India. Please wear loose fitting clothes, that cover knees and shoulders, and try to avoid eating, drinking or smoking in public out of respect for those who can't at that time.
- Medical Form
- Our small group adventures bring together people of all ages. It is very important you are aware that, as a minimum, an average level of fitness and mobility' is required to undertake our easiest programs. Travellers must be able to walk without the aid of another person, climb 3-4 flights of stairs, step on and off small boats, and carry their own luggage at a minimum. Travellers with a pre-existing medical condition are required to complete a short medical questionnaire, which must be signed by their physician. This is to ensure that travellers have the necessary fitness and mobility to comfortably complete their chosen trip. While our CEOs work hard to ensure that all our travellers are catered for equally, it is not their responsibility to help individuals who cannot complete the day's activities unaided. Please refer to the physical ratings in this Trip Details document for more information. The medical questionnaire can be found online at: .
Not included in the tour
- Meal Budget
- Local Flights
- All local flights are included in the cost of your tour unless otherwise noted. It is important that we have your passport information at the time of booking in order to process these tickets. Internal flight tickets are issued locally and will be given to you prior to the flight departure. Please Note: Only 1 piece of luggage that weighs up to 15kgs will be permitted on our internal flights in India. For any extra weight the airline may charge an additional fee at the time of check-in.
- Eating is a big part of travelling. Travelling with G Adventures you experience the vast array of wonderful food that is available out in the world. Generally meals are not included in the trip price when there is a choice of eating options, to give you the maximum flexibility in deciding where, what and with whom to eat. It also gives you more budgeting flexibility, though generally food is cheap. Our groups tend to eat together to enable you to taste a larger variety of dishes and enjoy each other's company. There is no obligation to do this though. Your CEO will be able to suggest favourite restaurants during your trip. Vegetarians will be able to find a huge range of different foods - India is vegetarian heaven. For all trips please refer to the meals included and budget information for included meals and meal budgets.
- Solo Travellers
- We believe single travellers should not have to pay more to travel so our group trips are designed for shared accommodation and do not involve a single supplement. Single travellers joining group trips are paired in twin or multi-share accommodation with someone of the same sex for the duration of the trip. Some of our Independent trips are designed differently and single travellers on these itineraries must pay the single trip price.
- About Accommodation
- A variety of styles of hotels/guest houses are used in India. These can vary in terms of service, efficiency and cleanliness. In many instances they might not be like what you are used to back home. Power cuts can and are a regular occurrence in many places, especially throughout North and Central India. Although a number of hotels have generators there may be times when these won’t work. It is also recommended when you are in your room to lock the door, as staff will sometime enter without reason.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 27 June 2018 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Please quote deal number 3625884 when you call.