Adelaide to Perth Overland
Travelling across the vast Nullarbor Plain is not only one of the world's great road trips, but a unique opportunity to encounter native Australian wildlife up close. Spot kangaroos, wombats, emus and rare birds in remote national parks, enjoy stunning bush scenery and kick back in character-filled Aussie outback pubs. Up through southern Western Australia to Margaret River wine country and finishing in Perth, this adventure tour is ideal for those wishing to experience a nature-filled journey through Australia's wild landscapes.
Your tour to Australia includes:
- Spot for Yellow Footed Rock Wallabies in the Flinders Ranges
- Swim with sea lions and dolphins off the Eyre Peninsula
- Travel across the sunbaked Nullarbor Plain
- Explore Margaret River and taste fine local wines
- Camp in the tranquil and remote Cape Le Grand National Park
- Journey across the iconic Great Australian Bight
- Learn to surf off the coast of South Australia
- Visit Adelaide, the city of churches
- Breakfasts Included: 9
- Lunches Included: 10
- Dinners Included: 9
- Bush camp (no facilities) 2 nights,camping (with basic facilities) 7 nights
- Age: min 8
- Group Size: 1 - 21
- All National Park entry fees
- Head of the Bight entry and Whale watching (in season)
- Ancient Empire Walk - Valley of the Giants
- The Diamond Tree
- Aboriginal Culture Dreamtime tour
Day 1 Adelaide - Flinders Ranges National Park
Headed north we’ll stop in at Clare for a quick coffee before continuing on to the ancient Southern Flinders Ranges. So unique are the fossils found in this landscape, geologists had to revise the geologic time-line of the Earth’s history, identifying a new era called the Ediacaran period! Hike Alligator Gorge where we’ll have lunch and explore the pristine Warren Gorge where we’ll be spending the night camped out under the stars of the Southern Cross.
Today we drive approx. 400 km (4 hours) in total with stops along the way.
Day 2 Eyre Peninsula
Its an early morning start for the incredible Dutchmans Stern hike, then travel to the wild and beautiful Eyre Peninsula, one of Australia’s best kept secrets. See some unique outback silo art in the tiny town of Kimba and after a quick pit stop for lunch, it’s time to head to the coast to explore Venus Bay, Talia Caves. Next its to the Lake Newland sand dunes where adrenaline junkies can test out their sand boarding skills.
In the late afternoon we arrive at Coodlie Park Farm Retreat. This working farm has traditional cropping, sheep and a project of tree planting on their own land to offset their own carbon emissions.
Today we drive approx 450km (5 hours) in total with stops along the way.
Day 3 Baird Bay - Penong
For those wanting to experience one of Australia's most unique wildlife experiences of swimming with dolphins and sea lions. This incredible optional wildlife experience involves a four hour boat cruise. We find the friendly populations and swim and snorkel amongst them. There is nothing that can parallel the feeling of communing with wild creatures such as these. If you wish to take up this option please notify us in advance so we can make the necessary arrangements. As most passengers love to do this optional tour, the company has no other activity planned this afternoon, so if passengers do not participate they will be waiting on shore for the tours return.
Following a picnic lunch on the beach, we’ll continue driving along the coast to then do a learn to surf lesson on a remote and pristine beach. Those not wanting to surf will be able to relax, swim or explore Sceale Bay while the others test their surf skills. After dinner have the chance to experience some country hospitality and meet the locals when we visit the Penong Pub for a nightcap. Camp at Penong which is famous for its dozens of windmills which pump the local water supply from a large underground basin
Today we drive approx 5 hours in total with stops along the way.
Day 4 The Nullabor
There is no getting out of a long drive today as we start to travel across the mighty Nullarbor Plain. Crossing the Nullarbor has become a rite of passage for backpackers and for Australians it is the quintessential experience of the Australian Outback. Take a snap the world famous wombat, kangaroo and camel road sign, see jaw dropping scenery at the longest continuous cliff coast line in the Southern Hemisphere, the spectacular Bunda Cliffs or “Edge of Australia”.
Stop at the iconic Nullarbor Roadhouse, explore the ruins of an old telegraph station and come afternoon cross the border into WA where tonight’s free entertainment is provided courtesy of the celestial sphere.
Tonight we bush camp under the Southern skies on the Nullarbor
Today's distance is approx. 7 hours, with break stops.
Day 5 Cape Le Grand National Park
Another early rise this morning as we travel the last part of the Nullarbor visiting the Caiguna Blowhole for some free air conditioning from the ocean. With their planetary sounding names and strewn about space junk, the small towns of Balladonia and Norseman have a slightly intergalactic atmosphere about them. Balladonia shot to worldwide fame in 1979 when the Skylab space station returned to earth here rather abruptly. After lunch we continue the drive to Esperance, which may seem like a bustling metropolis after a couple of days in the outback.
After another reasonably big drive day, get ready for some of Australia’s most spectacular scenery with this part of WA having no less than 9 National Parks and some of the best beaches in the world. We’ll set up camp in the spectacular Cape Le Grand National Park
Today we drive approx 7 hours, with break stops along the way
Day 6 Cape Le Grand National Park
Crystal clear waters, powdery white sands, expansive granite bluffs… and sunbathing kangaroos? Sound like a dream? Well its not because today you’ll wake up in one of Australia’s best known and most spectacular National Parks. Pristine and perfect are two words that reflect its absolute beauty. The ocean here is practically transparent, the local western grey ‘roos are regularly sunbaking on the beach and the sand at Lucky Bay has twice been judged Australia’s whitest. So beautiful is this park we will be spending the whole day here exploring, swimming, bushwalking and you’ll also have some free time to do whatever you please.
We drive approx 10 minutes today, and walks will vary from 2-4 hours
Day 7 Cape Le Grand National Park - Stirling Ranges
Head down to the beach nice and early to make friends with some of the local kangaroo’s then we’ll be hiking Frenchman’s Peak, where beautiful vistas span right across Cape Le Grand and the Recherche Archipelago. Refuel with a lunch stop on one of the many beaches on Esperance’s Great Ocean Drive then settle in for the onwards drive to our Stirling Ranges campsite at Mount Trio.
We drive for about 5 hours today, and walk for 2 and a half also.
Day 8 Stirling Ranges
Today’s an early start as we visit the oldest mountain range in the world, the unique Porongurups which rise from the landscape like an island. Set out on a two-hour hike through some spectacular forests to Castle Rock which is a bit of a climb but worth every bit of effort as you are rewarded with breathtaking views over the region. Then traveling along Western Australia’s answer to Victoria’s Great Ocean Road, you’ll be treated to superb views of sun-bleached boulders, turquoise seas and dramatic red-rock cliffs shaped by eons of crashing waves and rolling tides. Visit the Gap, Natural Bridge, Elephant Rocks and Green Pools for a swim in a sheltered swim and then a stop at the largest Tingle Tree in Western Australia.
It is just over 5 hours from Lucky Bay to Stirling Ranges, with about one hour walking on the way.
Day 9 Margaret River
Discover the pristine wilderness region of Walpole and if feeling brave you can climb the 50 metre Diamond Tree, a native karri tree once used as a fire lookout and only 1 of 3 wooden top towers in the world. Next it’s time tantalise those tastebuds as we spend the rest of the day tasting our way around the Margaret River region visiting boutique wineries, breweries, a chocolate factory and a cheese factory, sampling as we go. Cheers to that.
Today we drive approx 5 hours making stops along the way.
Day 10 Margaret River - Perth
On the last day of the trip you’ll wake to the now-familiar warble of kookaburras and cockatoos before heading to Dunsborough where you’ll meet Wardandi custodian Josh, who will introduce you to the world’s oldest living culture with his authentic and personal interpretation. Go deep down into the Ngilgi Cave for a memorable didgeridoo cave experience, taste native foods, discover bush medicine and experience traditional fire lighting on this unique indigenous cultural experience.
As our 10 day adventure draws to an end as we have our final lunch and swim at the popular tourist town of Busselton, where it’s hard to miss the 19th-century Jetty stretching 1.8km into Geographe Bay. One last stint on the road see’s us arriving into Perth around 6pm and although there are no formal activities planned it is usual for the group to get together and reflect on the big journey together over a few drinks and meal
Today we drive approx. 5 hours, although driving through Perth city traffic can mean a slower journey than previously advised.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 26 September 2018 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Please quote deal number 2958534 when you call.