Land of Belize
Discover the natural wonders and rich cultural history of Belize. This laidback paradise is packed full of lush jungle, spectacular ruins, long sandy beaches and first-class underwater attractions – and on this trip you’ll sample them all. From the buzz of Belize City, through the magic of the jungle-clad Tikal ruins and to the beachside island paradise of Caye Caulker, discover the best of Belize and Tikal on this epic adventure to some of Central America’s little-known gems.
Your tour to Belize includes:
- Discover the creative energy of Belize City
- Uncover the secrets of the San Ignacio ruins
- Embark on a jungle adventure in San Ignacio
- Experience the thrill of climbing the Tikal ruins
- Laze on Caye Caulker’s sandy shores
- Swim off the warm coast of Belize
- Listen to howler monkeys bellow through the jungle
- Hotel (6 nights),Camping (with basic facilities) (1 night)
- Private minibus,local bus,boat
- Age: min 15
- Group Size: 1 - 12
- San Ignacio - Cahal Pech Ruins
- Tikal National Park - Entrance fee
Day 1 Belize City
Hello! Welcome to Belize.
Your adventure begins with a Welcome Meeting at 6pm on Day 1.
Please look for a note in the hotel lobby or ask the hotel reception where it will take place. If you can't arrange a flight that will arrive in time, you may wish to arrive a day early so you're able to attend. We'll be happy to book additional accommodation for you (subject to availability). If you're going to be late, please inform the hotel reception. We'll be collecting your insurance details and next of kin information at this meeting, so please ensure you have all these details to provide to your leader.
Located where the Belize River meets the Caribbean Sea, this bustling former capital is full of history and culture.
Belize City isn't the nicest place we visit in Central America but it is the best option available for the starting point of this tour. Like any big city in this region, Belize City has some issues with street crime and we advise visitors to take every precaution when you're outside the hotel. Don't take any valuables when you go out and keep your camera safe. At night, always try to go out in a group and stay on the main streets.
The area around our hotel is the safest in the city - it's often called the tourist village. You can walk to the nearby lighthouse and enjoy the beautiful sea views. If you have some extra time and want to explore the city further we recommend you take a taxi, even when travelling relatively short distances. You can organise for a taxi to pick you up at the hotel and wait for you at each stop. This might be a little more expensive but it's safer and you can make the most of your time in the city.
There are some interesting places to visit. Belize City is divided by the world's only remaining manual swing bridge. On the north side is the coastal and maritime museum, housed in the beautiful restored former fire station. Also in the north is the Image Factory, displaying contemporary Belizean artists, and the National Handicraft Centre. The oldest Anglican church in Central America, St John Cathedral, was built in 1812 with bricks brought as ballast in European sailing ships. Opposite is Government House, a preserved colonial mansion.
Belize is the only English speaking country in Central America, which will make chatting with locals much easier. The Belizeans are known for their relaxed and easy going way of live. You will be amazed how many different cultures coexist harmoniously here.
Day 2 San Ignacio
Catch a local bus to San Ignacio (approx. 3 hrs) where your leader will take you on a visit to the Cahal Pech ruins.These ruins were once a major Maya ceremonial centre, standing tall on a hill overlooking San Ignacio.
Day 3 San Ignacio
You have a free day to take on any of the many optional activities available.
One of the optional activities here is a day trip to Xunantunich, an impressive Mayan ceremonial centre located with panoramic views over the countryside. The east side of one of the temples has a unique stucco frieze and the central plaza has three carved stelae. Getting to the site is half the fun as you'll need to take a hand-cranked ferry to cross the river.
The cave of Actun Tunichil Muknal is a living museum of Mayan relics. Wade through water until you reach the Mayan ceremonial site. Here you will find ceramic pots and crystallised skeletons, preserved by the natural processes of the cave for over 1,400 years.
Other options to fill in your time in San Ignacio include a day trip to the Mountain Pine Ridge area to visit waterfalls and warm swimming holes, as well as a huge cave system, the butterfly garden, canoeing or river tubing.
Day 4 Tikal
Today we travel to Tikal National Park (approx. 4 hrs).
Towering above the jungle of the Tikal National Park, the five granite temples of Tikal are an awesome sight and one of the most magnificent Maya ruins. Hidden in the jungle growth is a maze of smaller structures just waiting to be explored. The energetic can climb to the top of the ruins for spectacular views over the canopy. You may even spot toucans, macaws and other colourful birds.
Tonight we camp by this majestic Mayan site. We will set up tents for ourselves with sleeping mattresses. The weather will be warm so sleeping bags will not be required although you may like to bring a sleeping bag liner or sheet. There are basic shared bathrooms and showers.
Day 5 Caye Caulker
If you haven't had enough of Tikal you have the option to visit the site again this morning (entrance fee not included).
We then travel by local bus to Belize City (approx. 6 hrs depending on border crossing conditions) where we board a water taxi to Caye Caulker.
The Belize Cayes are a group of islands a short boat ride away from the coast. There are a number of these islands to choose from, but we base ourselves on Caye Caulker as this is one of the more popular islands with travellers. From here it is possible to arrange day trips to other cayes, to the best reefs for snorkelling, or simply to take a local boat out to the reef of Caulker itself. Each island has its own particular character, but all of them have the unmistakeable Caribbean pace and charm.
Day 6-7 Caye Caulker
Day 8 Caye Caulker
On the last day we take a water taxi ride to Belize City (approx. 45 mins). You can depart any time after 12pm (midday) as there are no other planned activities for the day. Please ask your tour leader If you need any assistance arranging extra transport to the airport. If you would like to stay longer, we can book your post-tour accommodation at our hotel in either Caye Caulker or Belize City if required.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 28 February 2018 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Please quote deal number 2209549 when you call.