This competition is now closed – thank you to all who entered. Our lucky winner is… @abz0603 – congratulations Abbie, and enjoy your Kindle Fire!
Remember the days of paper airline tickets, traveller’s cheques and eagerly waiting for your holiday film to be developed?
Times have certainly changed in the world of travel thanks to new technology, and these days it’s easier than ever to book holidays, research your destination and stay connected while you’re away. These gadgets are our favourite travel accessories – read on to learn clever new ways of using this technology, and enter to win a Kindle Fire!
All of those hours spent on planes, trains, in airports and lying beside the pool or the beach provide a perfect opportunity for catching up on all those books you’ve been meaning to read. The Kindle is ideal for travelling because it weighs next to nothing, is small and easy to pack, and you can store a number of books so if you finish one or just can’t get into it, you can simply choose another one. If you’re worried about glare from reading off a screen, rest assured these nifty devices are designed so it looks just like you’re reading off paper. No glare, no eye strain. We still love paper books, but carrying an epic volume in your luggage takes up valuable space and weight. We refuse to travel without this gadget these days.
Want one for yourself? Scroll down to see how you could WIN your very own Kindle Fire!
How can I win?
All you need to do to win is:
1. Follow FlightCentre_UK on Twitter
2. Send the tweet “RT and follow @FlightCentre_UK to win a Kindle Fire! http://travl.to/wUKLj #KindleFire #Competition” by clicking the Tweet button below:
Please read our terms and conditions carefully (you’ll find them at the end of this post).
There are so many uses for smartphones when travelling: some airlines will allow you to receive your boarding pass on your phone so you don’t need to worry about printing one; you can download various helpful apps (check out our favourites here) that will make your journey smoother; it can be used to listen to music, take photos, stay in touch with friends while you’re away…and so much more. We’re discovering new ways to use our smartphones every time we travel. If you have your own tips to share, let us know in the comments below.
You may think that if you have a smart phone you won’t also need a tablet. While they do have similar functions, the larger screen of a tablet saves you squinting at maps or movies while you’re on the go. Tablets are ideal for checking travel documents such as itineraries, looking at maps (try downloading maps of your destination before you go so you can still see them without Wifi or roaming), watching movies or TV shows (apps like 4OD allow you to download your favourite shows to watch offline) and reading reviews and guides. We like to take photos on our tablet of the most relevant pages of a guidebook before we go so we can leave the bulky book behind.
Gone are the days of having to save your film for a more camera-worthy moment. Thanks to digital cameras it’s possible to take thousands of photos without running out of memory, which means you can really capture the sights of your trip. You don’t need a fancy or expensive camera to get good quality pictures; a pocket sized point-and-shoot will capture everything and is convenient to carry around. Just don’t forget to pack your charger!
Noise Cancelling Headphones
These can be a lifesaver when you’re flying or on public transport – a decent set of noise cancelling headphones will drown out the roar of the engine or the cries of the toddler throwing a tantrum in the row behind you (sadly they can’t block out the incessant kicking of your seat though). Like a digital camera, you don’t have to spend a fortune on a set of headphones, just make sure you either try them or read reviews to ensure they block out as much noise as possible.
Do you agree with our list of technology that makes travelling easier – do you have any gadgets to add? Let us know in the comments!
Competition Terms and conditions
- We’re giving 1 person the chance to win a 16GB 7 inch HD Kindle Fire (with special offers)
- This competition is only open to residents of the United Kingdom
- To enter the draw, entrants must follow @FlightCentre_UK on Twitter AND send (or retweet) the tweet the relevant prize draw tweet, which is “RT and follow @FlightCentre_UK to win a Kindle Fire! http://travl.to/wUKLj #KindleFire #Competition”
- The competition begins at midday on May 16th 2014 and closes at midnight on May 31st 2014
- The winner will be chosen at random and contacted on June 1st 2014
- The winner will be contacted via Twitter and asked for a postal address where the prize will be delivered to
- Once the winner is contacted, they will have 14 days to respond and accept the prize. If the winner does not respond within 14 days, a new winner will be selected.
- This competition is not open to Flight Centre Limited employees or their families
- Flight Centre (UK) Limited will use the winner’s name for promotional activity related to the competition. This may include but not be limited to: Including your name and Twitter handle on our blog, Facebook and Twitter channels. By entering this competition you give permission for your name and Twitter handle to be mentioned by Flight Centre (UK) Limited in these channels
- No entry tweet may contain inappropriate material, and Flight Centre UK reserves the right at any time during the prize draw to remove or disqualify any tweet deemed inappropriate.
- We will not share your details with any other third party